Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any advice. My spouse is currently interviewing for a position in White Plains. Currently we are in Atlanta but have lived in NYC, Northern NJ and MA previously. We have two children one middle one elementary. My older child excells academically is is well adjusted. My younger child has ADHD, Dyslexia and Dysgraphia. Not bragging here just being blunt and for perspective testing puts her IQ above 135. She is classified as 2E. With intense tutoring and her ability to compensate we've been able to keep her on grade level. We'd like to keep her in public school.

If this position worked out we'd be able to afford a home of 700K max. We'd also consider renting. I'd love a walkable downtown and an easy commute for my spouse but my most pressing concern would be a school system that could accomodate my younger child. As you can guess educating her has been quite an adventure...especially in a state where dyslexia is not recognized as a learning disability.

Sorry for all the information. Just trying to see if this area would be a good and doable fit for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM

356 posts, read 371,213 times
White Plains has an excellent school for your younger child called The Windward School. It is private however and I believe the tuition is around $30,000. I know two people who send their child there and they have nothing but great things to say about it. You could try the public school, but staff for special needs children seems to be stretched pretty thin. You will really need to fight with the school and district to make sure your child gets the services he/she needs. It can be done, but just be prepared. A neighborhood you should look at in your price range is the Highlands. It's a popular neighborhood w/ sidewalks and quaint houses just to the south of the city proper. Good luck to you.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
White Plains has an excellent school for your younger child called The Windward School. It is private however and I believe the tuition is around $30,000. I know two people who send their child there and they have nothing but great things to say about it. You could try the public school, but staff for special needs children seems to be stretched pretty thin. You will really need to fight with the school and district to make sure your child gets the services he/she needs. It can be done, but just be prepared. A neighborhood you should look at in your price range is the Highlands. It's a popular neighborhood w/ sidewalks and quaint houses just to the south of the city proper. Good luck to you.
Thanks. Did not know about the Windward school but it looks very interesting. I'll check out the area as well.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,529 times
Default Dyslexia and IEP

Just a quick note:- Dyslexia is a disability under IDEA which is a Federal requirement- does not matter which state you live in....it is a recognized disability. Look carefully at the requirements for an IEP v. a 504
504- you should get one if you don't have one (see my other lengthy post on different forum)
IEP- is harder (also see other post)
Just wanted you to know that dyslexia is absolutely a recognized disability!!!!
Start here:
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

79 posts, read 292,073 times
I understand that the Ardsley school system has a good reputation for educating children in the position of your younger, and it certainly is among the better Westchester districts overall. Very close to WP, as well.

I'm sure you'll be investigating anything you read here. When you do, bear in mind that I'm going on hearsay that I've never looked into. (While we looked closely at Ardsley -- ending up elsewhere for reasons unrelated to the schools -- we heard only passing remarks as to its reputation in the area of your concern.)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County