Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 PM

27 posts, read 93,358 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies, I am still a little out of loop in terminology and thought the Metro North was part of the subways so sorry for the confusion. Haven't had to use the public transportation in a while but just wanted to see how much of a hassle it would be to go from GCS to one of the airports but if there is a direct shuttle to JFK or Newark from GCS it shouldn't be too bad as I would just have to take the metro to GCS.

I haven't done a full detailed search but I think I should be able to save around $100 or so (maybe more) flying out of JFK as opposed to HPN. I won't have any kids but at least a suitcase or two which I was hesitant of using public transit to get to JFK but if there is a direct shutle then it shoudln't be too bad.

Thanks for the replies and any other thoughts you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
To make things more complicated () here are two more options:
Connecticut Limo collects passengers from White Plains to either LGA or JFK. It is a minibus, with travel times around 1 hour, but its direct with no hassle. So if you can get to White Plains, it can be a reasonable alternative.
Stuart airport at Newburgh (SWF) offers another option for flying, though I don't know how to get there from TT. The Hudson Line train from TT stays on the east side...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 93,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
LOL...I just re-read the post, and it did say train, without a bus connection, so I hope that the bus would be selected, not to take the train to the subway. I agree that would be a horrible option, and might take as long as the flight to finally get to JFK from Tarrytown.

Also, for the OP, there's a bus from GCT to Newark as well, but I'd only to go Newark if there was an extremely significant cost savings, since the delays can be the worst out of the region's airports at Newark.
Thanks BMWguy for the NY Airport Services rec, been using with no issues and everything has been awesome. However, I may have to fly out of Newark and you mentioned a bus from GCT, do you know any other options available and is it really that bad to avoid?

Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVtoNY View Post
Thanks BMWguy for the NY Airport Services rec, been using with no issues and everything has been awesome. However, I may have to fly out of Newark and you mentioned a bus from GCT, do you know any other options available and is it really that bad to avoid?

Thanks again!
Newark is a hassle, and weather can be a factor in the summer, but there are times when one has to use the airport in order to meet a schedule/fare. While it's not a first choice, it's not the worst airport in the Western Hemisphere.

The bus from GCT is the Newark-Liberty Airport Express, which runs nearly 24-7. I think that they close overnight for two or three hours. Newark-Liberty Express Bus

The other options are going to be rail, but from Penn, either Amtrak or taking the PATH to NJTransit to the AirTrain, which is cheap, but a very long hassle. Someone I know was telling me how inexpensive it was, but neglected to mention that it took them about two hours to make the trip. Amtrak will be very quick to Newark, but you'd need to take the shuttle to a 1,2,or 3 subway from GCT to Penn to catch Amtrak.

The only other option I can think of from Westchester is to take Amtrak from New Rochelle or Croton to Penn, then transfer trains (in some cases) to a train to Newark. The cost tends to vary by train and time, however, and in some cases the route will take longer, but has minimal transfers and is all rail.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I am from near Chicago, but I prefer the HPN airport if flying to Westchester County. I had business in White Plains and just took a cab there. The previous visit I flew into LGA and rented a car. What a hassle.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:04 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,912 times
if your destination is westchester.. flying to HPN for $100 more is a no Brainer to me (assuming flight times are the same). You can take a bus from HPN to white plains for under $3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County