Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM

27 posts, read 93,338 times

Advertisements

Still fairly new to Westchester (Tarrytown) and will be visiting family in mid December and currently looking at airline rates and it seems to be a lot cheaper to fly out of LGA or JFK although I am not sure if it is worth the convenience of flying out of HPN. Any thoughts? I imagine a cab from TT to LGA or JFK would be pretty steep and offset any savings from flying out of HPN. I am close to the station in TT, does it get me near any LGA or JFk and again not sure if the travel time/costs would off set.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
You can get to LGA and JFK relatively easily via train, making either an MTA or private bus connection at 125th or GCT.

For LGA, an option is to take the train to 125th St. and then get on the MTA's M60 bus on 125th St, that proceeds across the bridge to the airport. It's a regular city bus route, not an express, so it can be a tad slow, having to make stops before the airport, and it can get crowded as all buses in the city do.

Taking the train to GCT, you can take the New York Airport Service bus to get to JFK or LGA, $15 to JFK/$12 to LGA, with a discount for online round trip purchase.

New York Airport Service

You do pay a premium for White Plains, but making a connection to the bus makes it relatively easy to get to LGA and JFK, so you can come out ahead if you don't mind a little extra travel time, when there's a significant fare difference.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-24-2009, 05:55 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
For a city it's size, I'd hardly call taking a train to a bus to LGA/JFK "easy". In most other "major" cities around the world, there's a direct train connection.

In theory, you can take the "A" train to JFK from Manhattan, you switch to a special shuttle bus from the station which is at the bare outskirts of the airport if that. But it's a LONG ride with a lot of stops (in fact, the "A" going from Washington Hts. in upper Manhattan to the Rockaways is the longest "rapid transit" line in the world, it goes 36 miles!), and many would say parts of it are unsafe (though that is very debatable).....in the late 70s (when the safety issue was probably a LOT worse and the trains reeked of stink and graffiti), the MTA tried to run an express train through the "A" line to JFK, but it failed, partially because of the shuttle bus and partially because the extra fare they were charging was not cheaper the other methods of getting there.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
When I lived in Westchester, I always tried to fly out of HPN. Besides the fact that it's easy to drive to, it's also MUCH easier to get in and out of compared to JFK or LGA. Now that I'm in Long Island, I always try to fly out of the local LI Airport if possible too (ISP). The security lines are a BREEZE compared to JFK or LGA (or EWR).

Old 11-24-2009, 08:29 AM

I don't think the OP was thinking about taking the subway to the airport, rather Metro North. It's not a huge hassle to change to a coach bus to get to the airport, and is pretty inexpensive, compared to a car service. Now, if the difference in the cost of flights is $100, it might not be worth the hassle, but if it's closer to $300, then it might not be a bad idea.

I would not take the subway to the airport, especially not from Westchester because it's just too much of a hassle.

City-Data FAQs

Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,162 times
Depending on your destination, HPN does not have as many direct flights as the larger airports. I fly to LAX frequently and the only flights out of HPN have at least one stop each way adding to the travel time. Going out of JFK is cheaper and has more carrier options such as Jet Blue and Virgin and non-stop flights.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I don't think the OP was thinking about taking the subway to the airport, rather Metro North. It's not a huge hassle to change to a coach bus to get to the airport, and is pretty inexpensive, compared to a car service. Now, if the difference in the cost of flights is $100, it might not be worth the hassle, but if it's closer to $300, then it might not be a bad idea.

I would not take the subway to the airport, especially not from Westchester because it's just too much of a hassle.
I thought he meant Metro North to a subway from Manhattan. But you're right taking Metro North to Grand Central and then getting right on one of those isn't too bad.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Be aware that Westchester County Airport is WAY WAY WAY overcrowded. There are just too many planes leaving from such a tiny terminal (2 gates!). If you want to fly into/out of there just don't plan to go at peak times, and either arrive super early or leave it until the last minute because the check in line an hour before flight time will be out the door. (Again, simply not enough space.)

Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I thought he meant Metro North to a subway from Manhattan. But you're right taking Metro North to Grand Central and then getting right on one of those isn't too bad.
LOL...I just re-read the post, and it did say train, without a bus connection, so I hope that the bus would be selected, not to take the train to the subway. I agree that would be a horrible option, and might take as long as the flight to finally get to JFK from Tarrytown.

Also, for the OP, there's a bus from GCT to Newark as well, but I'd only to go Newark if there was an extremely significant cost savings, since the delays can be the worst out of the region's airports at Newark.

City-Data FAQs

Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 PM

309 posts, read 766,022 times
recently i've used both jfk and hpn to travel & each had pros and cons. a lot will depend on "how" you are traveling i.e. with a young child, lots of luggage/stuff, etc.

depending how far in advance i booked, some of the costs average out esp. when you factor in the hassle.

that being said, tix are usually less expensive at jfk/lga vs. hpn. parking at jfk in short-term is $33/day and long-term lot is $18/day, hpn is $25/day and may not be available.

the last time i took a car service from somers to jfk it was $165 each way + tolls & tip. there also was an xtra fee for an early pick-up (before 6 a.m.). car service from hpn to somers would have been about $80.

safe travels whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County