Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Researching Retirement,

While we still recommend Weaverville for a great location for active senior living, our final experience with Pinebrook Farms was very disappointing. (Feel free to email for details if you like.) And now we're looking again at Hendersonville!

Jan & Bill
Jan, just wondering...have you been south of Hendersonville at all? There is a fantastic little community just over the SC line called Landrum. I think it is very scenic, quaint and quiet there. Home values would be very good too. It is an easy ride back up to Hendersonville for everything you need that you can't find in Landrum.

Check out this website I found talking about Landrum - it really is nice there

Landrum, SC, Tryon, NC, Columbus, NC, Saluda NC, Polk County NC, Ashville NC, Blue Ridge Mountains NC, Tuxedo NC, Campobello SC, Gowensville SC, Hendersonville, NC, Mickey Hambright Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Properties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 AM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Default No one said it would be easy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Jahttp://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/editor/menupop.gifn, just wondering...have you been south of Hendersonville at all? There is a fantastic little community just over the SC line called Landrum. I think it is very scenic, quaint and quiet there. Home values would be very good too. It is an easy ride back up to Hendersonville for everything you need that you can't find in Landrum.

Check out this website I found talking about Landrum - it really is nice there

Landrum, SC, Tryon, NC, Columbus, NC, Saluda NC, Polk County NC, Ashville NC, Blue Ridge Mountains NC, Tuxedo NC, Campobello SC, Gowensville SC, Hendersonville, NC, Mickey Hambright Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Properties
Hi, lovesMountains!

It's always good to hear from you! Thanks for the suggestion.

Though we doubt we'd want to be any more south of Asheville than Hendersonville (for several reasons), believe me, we have been spirit/mind OPEN while we teeter on "shifting sands."

In the current RE market, we continue to pray for guidance--and will now, at your suggestion, investigate Landrum. We will plan to visit it on a return trip to the area that we just booked today, in fact, for this coming October--in answer to a mysteriously persistent elevated heartbeat.

This time we will be relatively free of research and decisions. This time we will be coming just to drink in the glory of autumn, feed our dreams, and give amazing thanks!
WAIT. Are we coming back to God's Second Home in just two months, did I say???

OH MY!!

And I haven't yet recovered the lost luggage from this month's flight!!!

OH WELL!!!! ...........HA ha ha ha ha ha ha..........

Jan (and Bill)

Old 08-20-2007, 04:06 AM

16 posts, read 50,794 times
Hello to you all!!! I have lived in North Asheville since 1990 and am very familiar with all the areas you have talked about. We are considering moving to Polk County ourselves. I have been a Realtor here that long as well. Sorry that you had a bad experience at Pinebrook. Good concept, have sold several of their other developments, not good location or progress. Weaverville is a wonderful town. Reemes Creek Golf Club Community is a pleasant place to live. Beautiful views and not too far, 18 minutes from downtown. Good Investment overall. It has a history of steady appreciation and a variety of housing options. Fairview does not have any worse air quality than any other area of Western North Carolina. It is rural and beautiful farm land rolling valley. Much development is taking place there. Polk Coutny is also very beautiful. Better real estate values there!! Tryon and Landrum back up to each other and are great little towns. I would be glad to answer any questions about the areas.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinawit View Post
Reems Creek Golf Club Community is a pleasant place to live. Beautiful views and not too far, 18 minutes from downtown. Good Investment overall. It has a history of steady appreciation and a variety of housing options.
We prefer to avoid golf club communities... but thanks for the suggestion, Carolinawit.

Jan

Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 AM

14 posts, read 53,652 times
Consider Weaverville (a new Walmart and Lowes being built as we speak) or even a bit father north in Mars Hill (still Madison County, but many miles closer than Marshall - the county seat). Lots of family owned land but starting to be sold off as the developers find it. Yet still close enough to Asheville (and a great 4 laned (future) I-26.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 18,465 times
Default Weaverville & planned communities

What happened at Pinebrook Farms for you to change your mind and retract your recommendation?
We love Weaverville and are thinking of relocating there and looking at planned communities, we looked at Pinebrook and liked it...but we want to know what changed your mind...we need to know the plusses and minuses of the community before we commit

Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 AM

442 posts, read 1,508,948 times
My husband plays Reem Creek Golf Course every time we visit the area as it will be the closest to the home we are building outside of Marshall - It will take him 25 minutes to get there from our property. The last time he played there he was again in awe of the course and the homes that surround it - I have no idea what price range they are in - but we live in the Chicago suburbs - and I am guessing they are well below what we see here! Reems Creek is not that far outside of Weaverville - it's a nice town - with established neighborhoods that are lovely and well-maintained - plus they have the Well Bred Brakery and Stoney Knob Cafe which are great.
JMackay - don't give up on Marshall - the people are nice and friendly and it's not too far from Asheville - plus the roads are excellent to get you whereever you want to go - Marshall doesn't have the developments yet - here's hoping they take it slow. Also - my friend Martha at Ponder Cove enjoyed meeting you - we love them.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researching Retirement View Post
Planning to retire in 5-6 years and just starting to look into potential areas we'd consider as possible relocation destinations. Asheville / greater Western NC is one possibility. We will be spending some time there later this fall to explore some of the locations/developments. One area that seems like it might fit our desires is the development immediately surrounding / on the Reems Creek golf course. For those who know the area, what are your impressions of the Weaverville area and the quality of the housing and development at Reems Creek?

We are interested in a nice area, reasonably sized lots, pleasant views, and convenient access to area activities/services. Schools are important from the standpoint of an indicator of quality of life and desirability of an area but obviously they are not our #1 consideration.

Any input on other similar areas that you think are better or that we should also consider taking a look at? Any general comment on pros/cons of locating north of Asheville vs other directions? Any insights are appreciated.
Hi - I'm not sure if I am suppose to do this in this forum. I actually just joined today as I am researching a bit on how things are looking in Weaverville. I bought 28 acres in Reems Creek about two years ago and absolutely love it here! I just parceled the property into 3 parcels and am going to keep two of them ... one of which holds my primary residence. The parcel I am considering selling is 7.5 acres and looks out across the reems creek golf course ... which is about a five minute drive. The parcel is about 2600 feet high and has 180 degree winter view and is a tree house in the summer! I'm not sure if you are familiar with Eller Cove ... but that's where this property sits. I'm really trying to decide if I want to turn my primary into a vacation property and build on this lot myself of if I want I should sell this lot and just stay where I am.

As for the area ... the schools are great - my grandson just moved here with my daughter and family from NJ and he loves the schools. He's in the 5th grade and they have been great to bring him into the system. I love the Reems Creek area ... I can get into Asheville for anything I want to do within 15 minutes and yet have the quiet and solitude of my mountain setting! Just love the wild life and the birds and all the quiet!

I think Woodfin is going to spread quicker than Weaverville and the city council seems to be trying hard to keep the wonderful quaint little city in tact.

I'd love to talk to you more about your interest ... maybe you can help me decide if I want to sell or not!

Best, Kim

Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 PM

92 posts, read 479,914 times
KK,

Well, I'm not too familiar with all the areas around there but did find Eller Cove Rd to the south of Reems Creek GC on Google Maps. So, I assume the property must be somewhere along that road or in that area.

Looks like lots of trees south of Eller Cove to Elk Mountain Hwy and east to Mundy Cove Road based on the satellite images. Is the property somewhere in that area? If we had known about it a couple of weeks ago we could have taken a look. We were in the area and drove all around the developments surrounding the golf course including the new stuff going in up on Courseview Road.

As far as our interests, we're in the early stages of trying to figure out what the area is like and what the costs are for various types of land and developments. In general we're looking for mountain views, quiet areas and good access to Asheville when the mood or need strikes. Weaverville would be one area that probably fits. We're also looking in areas around Hendersonville/Flat Rock as possibilities.

7.5 acres is bigger than we really need but it all depends on the details of the actual property - slope/buidable area, views, availability of utilities, access, price, future developments planned for the area, etc.

As I said, we're still pretty early in our thought process but if we decide the Asheville area is really where we want to retire maybe we'll be back down to take a look sometime in spring next year.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 AM

41 posts, read 113,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay54 View Post
There's the rub - I'm retiring, my wife is not. I don't want to be around traffic, construction, developments. She wants to be close to work. It's a dilemma.
hello!!!!! we are in the same situation and we arere thinking to move in Weaverville
and I have a little child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina