Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Not Macon.

When I say "North Georgia", I mean the mountains of Georgia. We are right up against the border of North Carolina. Sometimes I grocery shop in North Carolina.

Until fairly recently, it was very hard to travel into this area until the highway was extended here. One local man said when he was growing up, there was only one way out of here and it was a small road over the mountains. A trip to Gainesville was a big deal back then.

Living here has blown many of my assumptions out of the water. It was a severe culture shock to see how attitudes about so many things most Americans take for granted are decades behind.

If I didn't live here, I'd think that was an exaggeration, but it's not.

Asheville has played host to visitors since the 1800's, but having new people coming and going is relatively new here and it shows.

When it comes to knowledge of gay people, the difference between a local's experience and a city person's experience is like living on two different planets. People who grew up here see a gay pride parade on TV and think that is what everyday life is for a gay person. Whereas I've worked among gay people since I entered the workforce in 1980!

It's funny the things locals fixate on sometimes. They think Floridians are weird because they routinely drink wine and "you see grown men carrying around tiny dogs". Heck, they think it's bizarre that newcomers let their dogs live inside the house.

Locals don't realize they have grown up outside of mainstream America. Thus, they attribute everything that is "different" to being Floridian, when most of it is merely mainstream American behavior.

Of course, there are locals who know better. They are the ones who lived outside this area for some portion of their lives because of work or school and then came back. They have a wider view of the world.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
When it comes to knowledge of gay people, the difference between a local's experience and a city person's experience is like living on two different planets.
yeah, besides being pedophile

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM

I know. Sad.

If I hadn't witnessed it, I wouldn't have believed it could be this bad.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I know. Sad.

If I hadn't witnessed it, I wouldn't have believed it could be this bad.
yep. hope, you did get my post right. I am not sure, if one should cry or laugh about such an ignorance

Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Their sentiments toward gays are so mean, that one should cry.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 PM

102 posts, read 267,374 times
I've always heard that Asheville is the San Francisco of the West! :-)

Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
They are speaking of the north Georgia mountains which figuratively speakng is as far from Asheville's mindset as San Fran is mileage wise.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckford View Post
Oh man, I've always heard, it's the Paris of the East cost . well, sounds like a nice mix though

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
They are speaking of the north Georgia mountains which figuratively speakng is as far from Asheville's mindset as San Fran is mileage wise.
You can say that again!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
It's funny the things locals fixate on sometimes. They think Floridians are weird because they routinely drink wine and "you see grown men carrying around tiny dogs". Heck, they think it's bizarre that newcomers let their dogs live inside the house.
I find it amusing that you are aghast at the stereotypes held by some near you, and then you go right on to stereotype "the locals" in the same breath! LOL... I guess it's only "certain stereotypes" that are wrong, eh?

(BTW I am gay, so I am not doubting any of your experiences with some people--but I've noticed that the more "polticially correct" a person is about those who stereotype against "some groups" (gays, racial minorities, women, religious minorities), the more that person is likely to stereotype "all rural people" or "all Southern people" as "a bunch of ignorant hicks". Delicious irony and hypocrisy, party of one!

Stereotyping "the locals" as all thinking in lockstep of 100% homophobia and racism is NO different than stereotyping all gay people as folks who spend every moment prancing on parade floats--that is when they aren't molesting children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina