Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,600 times

Advertisements

As I read this post, it irritates me the data is so skewed and the forum is hugely full of misinformation.

Here's why the data is skewed: the actual town of Murphy (city limits) has roughly 1,600 people living there. Meanwhile, the "area" called Murphy is HUGE! The postal area for Murphy (28906) is roughly 200,000 acres and accounts for about 20,000 people. The data on this site takes into account all the crime that happens over the ENTIRE zip area and then compares it to the actual city limits of 1,600 folks. If you do the math over 20,000 people, it puts us substantially below the national average. Which, if you live here, is FAR more accurate.

Now, lets look at the drug comments - do we have them here? Sure. Just like the entire United States, it's here. Do I ever see it? No. I don't go places where it's at or associate with people who are on it. Not only that, our Sheriff, Keith Lovin, is extremely aggressive at busting drug operations, and much to his credit, is doing a great job. Just like anything, if you choose to associate with it, then it's an issue.

My apologies for sounding irritated. It bothers me when data and misinformation bashes the place I call home. I know there's no better place to live than Murphy and hope you too can come see it.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: TOS violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I've written a post or two about Murphy before. I lived in Marble, which is right next to Murphy from 2001 to 2005. Did all my shopping in Murphy.

While it wasn't for me, a lot of people love it. It depends what you're looking for.

Anyway, I never worried about crime there.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM

108 posts, read 272,432 times
May I ask what you mean by " it's not for you" ? just curious what turned you off about Murphy.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Just to cut in, I'm not giving any kind of "misinformed data" I just said what is a fact. The rate of meth use and manufacturing in the mountains is the highest in the country (at least it was as of 2 or so years ago before the new over the counter drug rules). I think the peak city was just on the other side of the mountains in TN. I didn't specifically say Murphy, but offered a possible reason for all the domestic violence. So........yea.

And I do think it is an issue when you are trying to buy a safe home. I have friends who bought a house across the street from a meth lab but didn't know it until after the fact. There was talk of having to condemn all surrounding houses because of it (still working on trying to safely remove the mess right now..). It's not the norm, but is always good to make someone aware that it is a small possibility, especially if they are asking about crime.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higelj2 View Post
May I ask what you mean by " it's not for you" ? just curious what turned you off about Murphy.
Well, every mountain town is a little different.

Murphy isn't going to be high on culture if that's important to you. You'd get more of that in a town closer to Asheville.

The altitude is lower there (about 1,800), so summers are hotter.

If lots of wonderful restaurants and shopping are important to you, it won't work. There are three or four restaurants I'd recommend.

They do have a downtown that's come a long way, but I wasn't ever that crazy about it compared to other towns. I wasn't drawn to it because I didn't find it tempting or charming enough to go often. It is close to Andrews though and from what I've read, their downtown is coming along too.

However, plenty of people move there and love it. If you're looking primarily for peace and quiet and don't need a higher altitude, then it will work for you. It's a great place for someone who wants to be left alone. I definitely felt a sense of freedom there.

If you like white water rafting it's a good location since it easy to get to the Nantahala from there.

The different areas to live are very spead out there, so you'll need some time to look around.

All this is just my subjective opinion.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Well, Heigel,

I just realized from your previous posts that you purchased land in Clay County. I imagine you already have formed your own opinion on Murphy since you've been to the area.

For the record, I like Hayesville and Clay County more. It has some of the prettiest land in the whole area. I am moving to a new rental in a month and the one we are looking at is just barely over the state line into Hayesville.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpoltrock View Post
As I read this post, it irritates me the data is so skewed and the forum is hugely full of misinformation.

Here's why the data is skewed: the actual town of Murphy (city limits) has roughly 1,600 people living there. Meanwhile, the "area" called Murphy is HUGE! The postal area for Murphy (28906) is roughly 200,000 acres and accounts for about 20,000 people. The data on this site takes into account all the crime that happens over the ENTIRE zip area and then compares it to the actual city limits of 1,600 folks. If you do the math over 20,000 people, it puts us substantially below the national average. Which, if you live here, is FAR more accurate.

Now, lets look at the drug comments - do we have them here? Sure. Just like the entire United States, it's here. Do I ever see it? No. I don't go places where it's at or associate with people who are on it. Not only that, our Sheriff, Keith Lovin, is extremely aggressive at busting drug operations, and much to his credit, is doing a great job. Just like anything, if you choose to associate with it, then it's an issue.

My apologies for sounding irritated. It bothers me when data and misinformation bashes the place I call home. I know there's no better place to live than Murphy and hope you too can come see it.
Thanks for saying that since my original question was along the lines "what the hell is going on among 2,000 people". Now at least we can assume it is along 20,000 not 2,000.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 30,603 times
Default Murphy, NC Crime

I lived in Murphy for 2 years and never experienced any type of crime other than perpetrated by the local police by accessing my computer without a search warrant. However, if you look at the Cherokee County Sheriff website, you will find that there are charges related to drugs, burglary/theft and a lot of assaults, both men and women. In my two years I found there was inbreeding, a lack of education, ignorance and rudeness among many of the locals. There are a few very sweet people there, but overall, the cold shoulder convinced me to leave fast. No jobs either.

I would go to Brasstown, the next town over - a much different attitude.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 AM

There is ignorance in Murphy and it's more isolated than other mountain towns closer to Asheville, but I never once met a local there that acted rude.

As far as jobs, they don't exist in Brasstown either and I can't tell any difference in the people.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 PM

177 posts, read 408,689 times
Hi, we just bought a great home in Murphy and cannot wait to move (from NY state). We drove down and looked at the house after seeing photos on a realty website and instantly fell in love with it, and drove 1000 miles to buy it. We meandered around the area and found the people to be very helpful and polite. I am used to NYer's, so I was pleasantly surprised. I think being retired in Murphy is going to be fine for us. This is a huge step, leaving everything and everyone behind, but now is the time to do it, so we are doing it.
I will be following the Murphy threads on this forum, hoping for advice for internet providers as it seems where we bought is kind of isolated.
ttfn
Donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina