Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 PM

184 posts, read 796,706 times

Advertisements

Well it maybe we will be moving to Tryon, NC soon. Does anyone live here or near that can give us a run down of the town?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmasters View Post
Well it maybe we will be moving to Tryon, NC soon. Does anyone live here or near that can give us a run down of the town?

thank you
Tryon is a lovely small quaint town. Please be more specific with what you need to know.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Tryon is a small town located in Polk County near the South Carolina state line. It is closely tied to the immediate equestrian community. Just about all stores and eateries are locally owned. If you are looking for more familiar stores, drive east on NC 108 to Columbus.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Tryon is a lovely small quaint town. Please be more specific with what you need to know.
What is the age group
What do they do for fun
Is there tourism places
What kind of bugs and insects do they have
What kind of weather do they have
What are the utilities cost
Are there any antique shops around
How many grocery stores are there
How many restaurant are there
Do they have any fast food places
What is the closest river or lake

Thank You

Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
What is the age group
What do they do for fun
Is there tourism places
What kind of bugs and insects do they have
What kind of weather do they have
What are the utilities cost
Are there any antique shops around
How many grocery stores are there
How many restaurant are there
Do they have any fast food places
What is the closest river or lake

Thank You

Age group? just like any other small town. Families, retirees, singles etc.

I don't know what you mean by "tourism places". The entire area of the Blue Ridge Mtns. is attractive for tourism.

Plenty of antique shops, they are everywhere on the road in and out of Tryon and all over this area.

No fast food places that I know of. It is a quaint old fashioned town.

Here is a link to the WNC/Tryon magazine that has a wealth of information for you. What state are you coming from that you are concerned about bugs? We have the normal bugs, snakes, black bears, etc. This is not FL. Weather: you will have a winter, this is a four seasons area.

Tryon is sooo nice:

Tryon | WNC Magazine

Why do you say you might be moving here? and haven't been here at all ? Spend at least a week looking at Tryon and the areas around Tryon before you make a decision. And.... have a JOB to come to.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Age group? just like any other small town. Families, retirees, singles etc.

I don't know what you mean by "tourism places". The entire area of the Blue Ridge Mtns. is attractive for tourism.

Plenty of antique shops, they are everywhere on the road in and out of Tryon and all over this area.

No fast food places that I know of. It is a quaint old fashioned town.

Here is a link to the WNC/Tryon magazine that has a wealth of information for you. What state are you coming from that you are concerned about bugs? We have the normal bugs, snakes, black bears, etc. This is not FL. Weather: you will have a winter, this is a four seasons area.

Tryon is sooo nice:

Tryon | WNC Magazine

Why do you say you might be moving here? and haven't been here at all ? Spend at least a week looking at Tryon and the areas around Tryon before you make a decision. And.... have a JOB to come to.
Thank You
Do you live in Tryon?
We will be coming from California
Job is already in the works
Snakes? do i need to watch my step all the time? Is there a problem with them getting into the house? can our dog play in the yard safely?
You didn't mention anything about grocery stores? where do the locals shop for food?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Thank You
Do you live in Tryon?
We will be coming from California
Job is already in the works
Snakes? do i need to watch my step all the time? Is there a problem with them getting into the house? can our dog play in the yard safely?
You didn't mention anything about grocery stores? where do the locals shop for food?

CA, okay, now I see your frame of reference which helps a lot to give you a perspective. You are coming to a town with only about 2,000 people, spread out from the nucleus of the town itself.

Snakes? do not worry about snakes at all L, they are afraid of people and you might see a garden snake in a field somewhere but no worries about snakes, or bugs for that matter. You will get snow in the winter, and you will hear about black bears in the mountains. Of course, if you live on a remote mountain lot, you may get a bear in the yard. But I doubt you will be living high up.

Groceries: you won't be far from any grocery stores. Ingles is big here, Publix has stores etc. etc. Lowe's etc. But those stores are not in the downtown area, they are on the outskirts by a few miles. No problem.

You will have easy access to Spartanburg SC, Greenville SC and Hendersonville NC and Asheville NC. With all the shopping you need. Of course your dog can be in the yard; check with leash laws in the Tryon area, I have no idea about that. I live in Hendersonville NC, just "up the hill" about 20 miles, beautiful in this area. Lots of Cali relocators in this area looking for a more laid back way of life, yet lots of culture and activities. CA is a huge state, don't know which part you are coming from. I lived there for a year many moons ago in the SanFernando Valley. Loved it then, but now ... no way.

Hope this helps ... here are some links to newspapers for you, and if you do some searching right on this City Data forum in the search boxes above for "Tryon" and the other towns I mentioned, it will help give you a feel for the area.

www.blueridgenow.com

Hendersonville paper

www.citizens-times.com

Asheville paper, check out the things to do also

www.goupstate.com

Spartanburg SC paper

www.spartanburgherald.com

another Spartanburg paper

www.hendersoncountync.org

Information about Henderson County and things to do

Other than that .... you've got to come here and look around and get a feel for the area. If you are ready for a small town way of life, this is the spot. If you have children, they will thrive here, no hustle bustle fast life like Cali.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:15 AM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
Tryon is located at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains (not in them) at around 1,000-1,200 feet elevation.

The population has recently decreased from 1,760 in 2000 to 1,646 in 2010. However, it is still the largest town in Polk County, which has grown from 18,324 in 2000, to 20,510 people in 2010. It is a fairly rural area.

What is the age group?

Majority retirees. At the 2000 Census, Polk County had the highest percentage of population over 65 in North Carolina (23.x percent), and it is most concentrated in Tryon (if memory serves, the Tryon Census tract had more than 30 percent over 65).

What do they do for fun?

Golf, bridge, arts and crafts, antiques, equestrian activities, walking.

Are there tourism places?

Not really.

What kind of bugs and insects do they have?

Plenty. Mosquitoes can be awful.

What kind of weather do they have?

Typical Carolina Piedmont weather. Hot and humid in summer, fairly mild in winter, with some snow that will be gone in a few days. You will read about a "thermal belt" making for mild year-round weather, but that's a total crock. Climate averages in Tryon are very similar to Charlotte. Because of Tryon's proximity to the mountains, the area averages over 60 inches of rain per year due to orographic precipitation.

How many grocery stores are there?

One, a small IGA. There are two each in Columbus (Bi-Lo and Food Lion) and Landrum, S.C. (Bi-Lo and Ingle's). About a five mile drive to either town.

How many restaurants are there?

Six, off the top of my head. Pizza, Japanese/Thai, two Mexican, couple of country kitchen types of places. There are some others in Columbus, Landrum and Saluda.

Do they have any fast food places?

None in Tryon, but several in Columbus and Landrum near I-26.

What is the closest river or lake?

Pacolet River and Lake Lanier, both tiny.

Snakes?

Yeah, they're out there. Copperheads and rattlesnakes are the only two venomous species around. If you keep your property well maintained (no piles of leaves, thick undergrowth, or stacks of wood), the likelihood of them staying around decreases.

Summary:

If you have or do not need a job, want a very rural, elderly community, don't mind having to drive twenty minutes for more than grocery shopping, don't mind hot and sticky Southern summers, then Tryon is an OK match. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

Source:

Raised there (couldn't be born there since the local hospital didn't/doesn't have an obstetrician), still have family there and regularly visit. Left because there are ZERO opportunities for anyone outside of nursing, teaching, construction, landscaping, and the fast-food industry.

I apologize for being cynical, but I'm being honest. I encourage you to visit the area before you make a decision. You may love it.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Cowboy, the OP's hubby has a job prospect there. CA has some very similar towns as Tryon with better weather. We don't know whether they are coming from a densely populated CA area or not. They may be yearning for a more laid back lifestyle and certainly a lower cost of living and wholesome growing up for children.

The proximity to Greenville and Spartanburg SC might be very suitable for them. Might not. I haven't met a relocating person yet who does not need at least one full year to adjust to an area and to assimilate into a different lifestyle.

Certainly the southern culture and hospitality will be welcoming.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Cowboy, the OP's hubby has a job prospect there. CA has some very similar towns as Tryon with better weather. We don't know whether they are coming from a densely populated CA area or not. They may be yearning for a more laid back lifestyle and certainly a lower cost of living and wholesome growing up for children.

The proximity to Greenville and Spartanburg SC might be very suitable for them. Might not. I haven't met a relocating person yet who does not need at least one full year to adjust to an area and to assimilate into a different lifestyle.

Certainly the southern culture and hospitality will be welcoming.
Thank You Ladies for all your help with the area there, it is very helpful.
We have both lived a good bit of our life in different parts of Los Angeles County, and the last ten years in Sacramento County. We are both looking forward to a small town with a slower pace of life. We have no children. And we will both have full time jobs in Tryon.
We are very excited about our move which we hope will be soon.
Again thank you, and will welcome anymore information you might have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina