Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times

Advertisements

So, I have seen that lots and lots of other states' forums have a thread like this, so I wanted to see if it would work on here. This thread is just for general, random, off-topic stuff, whether or not it involves WNC, for the residents of WNC - or those who just like to talk to us! So let's see if this will stay on the front page or peter out; I would love for us to have a chat thread, since we're pretty much the only forum I post on that doesn't have one.

So yeah, it's warmer than they said it was going to be. It's up around 75˚F or so right now, and the forecasted high was 70˚F. I'm about to get in the car and get myself up to a higher elevation and cool off a bit.

Oh yeah, I just ate at Blue Sky Cafe for the first time in more than a year, and I gotta say, it's still as good as I remember it being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 02:34 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
MMMM I hope you enjoyed the sweet potato fries for me!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Oooh, can I come in too ?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
MMMM I hope you enjoyed the sweet potato fries for me!
Oh yes! Always get the sweet potato fries. Had a buffalo chicken wrap and some sweet potato fries. Their wraps are awesome. The reason I was down there is that, the night before, my friend got too drunk to drive his car home, so he rode with me (I very rarely drink). So the next day I had to drive him all the way back to Mills River to get his car, which is a small price to pay to make sure your friend doesn't die in a car accident. The plus side: Blue Sky Cafe!

Went out on Saturday and did some hiking. Found a really cool new trail off of a Forest Service road. I absolutely LOVE driving on those gravel roads back there in the middle of the forest. All I've got is an Accord w/ 5-speed manual and 4-cylinder engine, but it does great on FS roads. The big ole tough guys who were car camping next to their gigantic F-250 thought I was crazy for driving it back there. I said I thought they were crazy for thinking they needed a huge truck whose primary purpose is towing just to drive on gravel!

Hardly got any pictures, but that's OK. I remember it. Got four more days of class, and then I'm done... until the 21st or so, when I start up summer school. Oh joy! I'm so ready to be done with college. I'm way too old to still be here, plus I'm just sick of it. I'm ready to start being a forester!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
How is the Mayfest in Rutherfordton? Any fun to be had?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Its really chilly here tonight. I love it. I wish it was like this all year long. I love chilly nights and sunny but brisk days. Heard you guys are under a frost advisory! Wish I was there.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Its really chilly here tonight. I love it. I wish it was like this all year long. I love chilly nights and sunny but brisk days. Heard you guys are under a frost advisory! Wish I was there.
Hey there Saucy, don't be jealous. I had to turn on my heat this morning here in Hendersonville to take the chill off. Thermostat read 54 degs. in the house. I could have waited another few hours, but I am spoiled.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM

That. Is very true. We couldn't afford to keep our house warm last winter. We went through 300 dollars of propane a month for a 900sqf house and it was kept on 60-65 at night when we were home.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 PM

So I've been holded up in the house this week with an injury. That has lead to a lot of TV watching. Once of which ended up being MTV's 16 and Pregnant. Imagine my surprise when it was some girl in Asheville. Anyone else catch it?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
That. Is very true. We couldn't afford to keep our house warm last winter. We went through 300 dollars of propane a month for a 900sqf house and it was kept on 60-65 at night when we were home.
That is a BOATLOAD of propane to go through in a month! Sounds like that house had some insulation problems or something, especially since you had the temperature set so low. We have an electric heat pump (which are notoriously expensive), and our whole electric bill was usually around $270 a month with the heat on 66˚F. Our house is really new construction though, so maybe that's why, but that would be surprising because it's kind of cheap new construction.

I didn't see the 16 and Pregnant. Sounds like an awful show. Strange that they picked a girl in Asheville, though. I remember one of the first things I noticed back when I moved here was that when you're driving up Biltmore Ave into downtown from Biltmore Village, there's a Planned Parenthood clinic on the left. I don't know why that jumped out at me, but it did. Although, based on my interaction with high school students in this area, I can't say teen pregnancy is all that surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina