Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM

958 posts, read 2,622,576 times

Advertisements

Just did a little research. Looks like the building at Carriage Park basically destroyed a nearby lake, Lake Rugby via erosion and runoff. The Carriage Park builders just settled out of court with the Lake Rugby Homeowners Association. This article, which details what happened, was in the Hendersonville Times-News about two weeks ago. Typical of what's happening to our natural beauty in this area, being ruined little by little by greedy developers.

Lake Rugby excavation remains stuck in the mud | Serving Henderson, Transylvania and Polk Counties | North Carolina | BlueRidgeNow.com

Old 08-09-2007, 01:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,400 times
Thank you, roxors. We read the article you shared. What a sad history!

So... this is addressed to all of you... which planned communities in the Asheville/Hendersonville/Weaverville area do you approve of, if any? Which can you recommend, if any, for active retirees?

Jan

Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
Just did a little research. Looks like the building at Carriage Park basically destroyed a nearby lake, Lake Rugby via erosion and runoff.
And you can bet the farm that the developers, and those that bought into his faux paradise could care less about the damage and heartache they caused to those below them, both actually living at a lower altitude, and especially socially and financially below them.

And then people stand around in awe that those of us that have lived here all our life are not welcoming these arrogant outsiders with open arms.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,625 times
The Rich are Different, that's for sure.
My folks grew up in McDowell Co., and I lived there for about 5 years. My folks retired from Detroit and moved back home. Mom is still lives there. Sad to see so much of the natural beauty destroyed. Even in NYC, we are feeling the pinch of the super wealthy both domestic and from abroad driving average people farther and farther from the city.
Big developers really only see GREEN.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 AM

14 posts, read 53,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Hi, everyone!

[
For comic relief from mind-numbing decisions about everything from carpet and cabinets to gutter colors and door knobs, we toured some of the area we hadn't ever seen--Hot Springs, Marshall, Mars Hill, Burnsville, Little Switzerland, and Blowing Rock (ran out of time for Boone--darn). Jan (and Bill)
Dontcha mean, ran out of time for Fontana--Dam)

Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,622 times
I have lived 30 min. north of Asheville all my life,and i gotta say thank god that TN is just over the hill.I hate Asheville.Like in the above posts there are alot of beggers,however most of them are Veterns.And yes when you go to Asheville its like entering the Flower Children Bandwagon,,lol..I live in Mars Hill,in Madison County,it is a very small town that has great schools even has a College,you can find online..So if your visiting Asheville try staying out of the downtown area,and you will be fine.Unless you like the flower child way of life then it would be for you.But we do all of our shopping in TN and its not a far drive to places like Bristol,Johnson City ect...Hope this helps!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 AM

187 posts, read 1,023,176 times
Once again, I am stunned by the level of ignorance on this board.

Avoid downtown Asheville if you're visiting the area? Driving an extra 40 minutes toshop in Johnson City and Bristol instead of Asheville?

Are you kidding me?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
Once again, I am stunned by the level of ignorance on this board.

Avoid downtown Asheville if you're visiting the area? Driving an extra 40 minutes toshop in Johnson City and Bristol instead of Asheville?

Are you kidding me?
When are we all going to accept that EVERY city has its pluses and minues, and that, considering we are free to move about at will in the USA, we can choose to go downtown for what we DO like about it, and ignore the rest?!

It's just silly to advocate avoiding downtown Asheville--believe me, if you are looking for them, you can find many reasons to avoid the downtown districts of every city in this nation...

BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WASTE TIME DOING SO????

Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 AM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
When are we all going to accept that EVERY city has its pluses and minues, and that, considering we are free to move about at will in the USA, we can choose to go downtown for what we DO like about it, and ignore the rest?!

It's just silly to advocate avoiding downtown Asheville--believe me, if you are looking for them, you can find many reasons to avoid the downtown districts of every city in this nation...

BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WASTE TIME DOING SO????
You are so right - life is too short for that. We love downtown Asheville - it's so beautiful and so vibrant. Can't wait til they get Pack Square done.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 AM

558 posts, read 2,249,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You are so right - life is too short for that. We love downtown Asheville - it's so beautiful and so vibrant. Can't wait til they get Pack Square done.
We love it, as well, and find it tame compared to so many others we've visited...Key West, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Paris, Chicago, you-name-it--like I said, every downtown area, whether large or small, in the Southern US (or any other part) or abroad--has its own idiosyncracies that make it unique.

THANK GOODNESS or life sure would be boring.

Like everything else in life--choose to enjoy the good, or focus on the bad...it's your time you're wasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina