Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times

Advertisements

Well, a tornado hit Murphy last night. Just found out from a friend.

Tornado causes damage in Cherokee County | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Don't know much about it, except that Doyle's Restaurant doesn't exist anymore, and the Ingles shopping center and Taco Bell were hit. One of the neighborhoods called "Peachtree" was hit, and that's right down the road from where we used to live in Marble.

I hope Kirby's Mom is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Found this video which doesn't show much because it was taken at night. There is contact information at the bottom.

Homes Destroyed By Storms In North Carolina | WSPA

There are some photos on the side too. Only the bottom photo shows the damage.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Murphy's History of Tornadoes: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

They had an F4 tornado in 1974 that killed nine people and injured 67.

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Oh no!!! Yes, I sure hope Kirby's Mom responds. To be new in an area and be facing this.... I can't imagine....

Was there any damage south Shooting, down by Ivy Log and Union County?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM

UPDATE:

Just read on a local message board that Doyle's restaurant just has a lot of trees down, not that it's destroyed. Owner says he will reopen in April.

Lots of damage at Ingles and Big Lots. The Red Cross has opened a shelter.

Local radio station WKRK on Facebook is keeping up with news and donation information, plus they have some photos.

WKRK | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WKRK.Community.Bulletin.Board - broken link)

Old 03-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Oh no!!! Yes, I sure hope Kirby's Mom responds. To be new in an area and be facing this.... I can't imagine....

Was there any damage south Shooting, down by Ivy Log and Union County?
No damage that I've heard of in Union County, which we are right next to in Towns County. All we got was some rain and it didn't come down particularly hard.

Seems that Murphy got it all, and that a lot of the damage was right in town as well as in neighborhoods.

I hope we hear from Kirby's Mom soon.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM

177 posts, read 408,841 times
We were glued to channel 3 and the weather channel on line all afternoon and evening, had our tornado kit all packed and were ready to sprint into the crawlspace at a moments notice, but thank goodness the storm bypassed us to the north/east. That was the 2nd watch in a week, but the first warning which is scarey. We were really lucky, didn't even lose power or dish. I'm so sorry for the folks who took the hit, and for all the stores and businesses that got damaged. But, the good news is there were no fatalities, according to the Scout. I hope this is an anomoly and not a sign of weather to come.
Thanks for thinking of us though (((hugs)))

Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
I've come to depend on you and Shooting Stars here on CD. We spend months on the road and it is such a pleasure to hear news of back home. Not this time, however, because it is such tragic news... but I am enjoying reading all about your new experiences in Murphy and the area...

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
UPDATE:

Just read on a local message board that Doyle's restaurant just has a lot of trees down, not that it's destroyed. Owner says he will reopen in April.

Lots of damage at Ingles and Big Lots. The Red Cross has opened a shelter.

Local radio station WKRK on Facebook is keeping up with news and donation information, plus they have some photos.

WKRK | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WKRK.Community.Bulletin.Board - broken link)

Shooting Stars; now is the time for your C chip cookies, or the like; the people in Murphy are as well Mountian People.
Though I am not in NC now as you read this, but if I were I would have chain saw in hand and on my way up there, I am sure they would except the help.
Ody

Old 03-04-2012, 01:41 AM

Kirby's Mom, so GLAD to see you here!!! What a welcome to NC, hey?

Ody, I have to figure out the best way to help. We were worried about hampering rescue efforts and clogging up the roads by going there today. Rescue workers were trying to visit all the homes to see if anyone is in trouble, and some roads needed to be cleared of fallen trees.

My Sunday is already booked because I'm taking food over to someone who is having a hard time recovering from a recent operation.

According to the radio station's Facebook page, people can donate to the Red Cross specifically for Murphy, or help with feeding people or assisting with cleanup. I saw a Red Cross vehicle at a hotel here in Hiawassee. The Red Cross is sending in workers from Greenville, SC.

At the Hayesville Ingles today, I heard that the Murphy Ingles had its windows shattered and part of the roof came off. They are trying to get it up and running again. I also heard a lady describing what happened. She said it was eerie because it got very very quiet just before it hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina