Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM

72 posts, read 192,110 times

Advertisements

I currently live out West in a town of 125,000 people. It is a very bike-friendly town. I can take bike paths or bike lanes in the street to everything; grocery stores, movie theatres, the fitness center, library, etc.. People here are very aware and accommodating of bike traffic. Would you say Asheville is a bike friendly town? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:03 PM

73 posts, read 277,148 times
Don't really know. We have a place west of Asheville, in Waynesville, and there is a pretty strong cycling community there. There is a great bike shop in Asheville named Liberty Bikes. Look them up and ask.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thitzler View Post
I currently live out West in a town of 125,000 people. It is a very bike-friendly town. I can take bike paths or bike lanes in the street to everything; grocery stores, movie theatres, the fitness center, library, etc.. People here are very aware and accommodating of bike traffic. Would you say Asheville is a bike friendly town? Thanks!
I live in Brevard, and since we have a big biking community, I would say Asheville does as well.....matter of fact, most of WNC is a big biking community. As far as being bike friendly, as long as you arent one of those type of cyclists who think they own the road and think that they dont have to abide by the traffic laws, you should be fine.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Most of Asheville lacks bike lanes. A quick visit to Johnson City, TN backs this statement up. That city has got it going on for bike enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM

221 posts, read 461,880 times
I'd have to agree with AngryCandy. There are certainly lots of bike enthusiasts, but there are not bike lanes (or even sidewalks in many areas), and drivers are not what I'd call accommodating. This is a fantastic area for mountain biking on trails, but street biking isn't a great way to get around town.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM

207 posts, read 463,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thitzler View Post

Asheville's drivers are OK around bikers but the road infrastructure is absolutely awful awful awful. There are some bike lanes but they start and end randomly so for the most part you will be riding in the car lanes. This is made worse because the city is pretty darn hilly so even if you have a cassette with a large range you will be slowing other people down with no safe way to get out of the way. Purpose built racks are fairly rare unless something has been renovated recently. On the plus side there is not really a problem with theft that I've heard of.

Here's a google maps link with the bike overlay on. It is every single bit as bad as it looks. I tried to stay into road and utility biking when I moved but ended up selling my bike to a friend in upstate SC because it was just too much of a pain to get around here.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
lots of people rave about biking on the BRP ... even there I find it too narrow sometimes and no fun with people just speeding through :/

Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
Would you live in the Asheville city limits, or just in the general area? Makes a difference. We looked in a number of places in the area, including gated communities, and saw very few places with bike lanes, though did see a lot of bikers.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Keep in mind Asheville is pretty hilly, so biking wherever you are now, if it's relatively flat, you will not like biking in Asheville. Altho there's a Blue Ridge Parkway race that winds up in downtown Asheville, and I DO NOT know how they do it. It can get kind of wild in a car along the edges. I used to bike everywhere when I lived in the eastern part of North Carolina, which all of the coastal East is flat, and this was before bike lanes and such, and I never had a problem. But Asheville is way behind when it comes to improving itself in SO MANY ways. Nevertheless, this is a cool town, much more interesting than a lot of mid-sized cities, I used to live in Historic Montford, and I worked downtown, so it was a straight shot just about, loved really breezing it after midnight, hogging the whole avenue with the old trees thru there, downhill from town part of the way. Oh, there are bike lanes in various locales, share the road signs, and a plan to get it all straight, but lots left to do. I hear Charlottesville VA has good biking stuff going on, but I haven't checked on their maps or anything. And then anywhere it's flat and fairly small with a university in the middle of the town, you should be good.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 7,160 times
Default Biking enthusiast

I love biking in the asheville and surrounding areas. It's not absolutely set up for it in every area, but I find it no more difficult than most other places (i.e. Maryland where I previously live a while back!)...
The hills of course are a challenge but that's a good part for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina