Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 05:34 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times

Advertisements

I have to ask, has anyone been to the Bywater on Riverside Drive in Asheville? I drive past the place of Thursday night to and from class and cars are parked up and down the road. It's obviously a hot spot but I've never heard of it. Anyone been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
I recalled the name...see post 6 in this link, for an opin:
Bars in Asheville?

I too, have driven past it and it looked interesting, but have never been in...I may be
too much of a Geezer for the place
GL, mD

Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 14,842 times
i have not see the place.is it a bar?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
I did find a website. They are calling it a members only bar

Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM

221 posts, read 461,913 times
It could be "members only" just because they don't sell enough food to legally be a public bar. Lots of places do this if they don't have a kitchen, and the Bywater is a bring-your-own-food place (they have charcoal grills, I think). It's not hard or expensive to get a membership. I haven't yet been myself, but I have good friends who are there almost every week and rave about it. Sounds like a lot of fun! Mellow place on the river. Thanks for the reminder - I keep meaning to get there while the weather is nice.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 AM

80 posts, read 55,980 times
Yes. It's a cozy. laid back, dog-friendly spot with a HUGE outdoor area in the back. You can cross the railroad tracks and sit right by the river. They often have food trucks in the front, or you can bring your own food and use their grills in the back.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times
as far as I know it's only 5 dollars for a membership. one member can bring many friends who are non-members

I heard that they have to ask for a membership because of the alcohol license. but for whatever reason ... sounds like a great place to me and has been on my list for months !

Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
The director of "The Hunger Games" movie spent a lot of time at The Bywater.

Hunger Games director raves about Asheville: “Astouding place,” “I’ll be back”

Q&A with ‘Hunger Games’ director Gary Ross | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Private club (solely to get around the food revenue vs. alcohol revenue requirements of backwater NC laws) that has 18 beers on tap, most of them from local and regional breweries. Live music many nights, has the vibe of many of the tasting rooms at the local breweries.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,343 times
The Bywater is a great place to hang out! Very relaxed and friendly. Others are correct in that it is "Members only", but a membership is $5 per year and a member may sign in as many guests as they want. The clientele is all age ranges. Lots of times, you will see people with kids there, but also everything from college age to retirees.

The best way to describe it is a "Clubhouse down my the river". There are picnic tables, grills, lots of people bring their lawn chairs and just hang out. People paddle up in their canoes and chill out with a drink. Cornhole, horseshoes, bocci...all sorts of lawn games happening at any given moment. The staff is also very friendly. I will warn you that the place is very popular, so it can get very crowded at times, but having the huge yard out back gives plenty of space (you may just need to wait in line for your beer). Also, just from my observation, it seems like everybody is in a good mood when they are there. I would feel completely at ease walking up to a total stranger and striking up a conversation. They also have live music lots of nights and usually, there is a food truck there so you can grab a bite to eat. Or, stop by White Duck Taco (YUM!) on your way and take your dinner in...haha. You should definitely check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina