Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 40,122 times

Advertisements

The title says it all, I'm trying to find something affordable, just basic gym without any frills thats still relatively clean.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
There aren't a lot of choices. There's the rush, and YMCA and The Asheville racquet club. Only the rush is physically in west asheville, the others have a downtown location among other places. I have no idea which is the cheapest sorry. (As a runner, I've got better places to run than a threadmill ).

Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM

54 posts, read 122,393 times
I run too and abhor treadmills. They make me feel like an experimental rat.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRuns View Post
I run too and abhor treadmills. They make me feel like an experimental rat.
Hah totally. Most people run on treadmills in the winter....I personally love running while its snowing! Just need some tights and a headband!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:35 PM

54 posts, read 122,393 times
I love running outside and the A'ville area has some wonderful races to run. As I've grown older I have become less competitive. I like the social aspect and the opportunity to run different venues. Maybe I'll get to meet you on the roads.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
sorry for the (almost) OT: We are going to live in S. asheville (ballantree neighborhood) and I was wondering, where I can find a couple of nice places to run. As EASY as possible, I ran my first 5k last september - but I am improving.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
sorry for the (almost) OT: We are going to live in S. asheville (ballantree neighborhood) and I was wondering, where I can find a couple of nice places to run. As EASY as possible, I ran my first 5k last september - but I am improving.
The mountains to sea trail follows the blue ridge parkway all through asheville. Just pull off somewhere safe, and jump right on. In fact, your neighborhood backs right up to the parkway and there might be a makeshift trail somewhere that accesses it.
There is also fletcher park which has a very large loop and then another back loop and greenway. Although I'm not sure whats going on with the backloop anymore, they've put up no trespassing signs but I see people using it all the time.
A bit further way is the NC arboretum, I bought a cheap student pass, but you can get away with not buying a pass by either parking at the hardtimes trail head (google it) or parking across the street at the river access and going under the bridge.

And when looking for a more city run, north asheville around the grove park inn is always fun. I love looking at all the neat architecture in the old houses.
Hope thats a start!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
Right up Sweeten Creek from you, where it passes under the BRP, I see cars parked on the side of the road all of the time. The side of the road has been made wider near and under the BRP so that it allows ample parking off the road.

Apparently people park there and walk up the incline to get to the BRP. I always thought they were hking, but I don't see why you couldn't do it to access the road for biking or jogging.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
thanks so much, saucy and garth, was always wondering, if we could get on the BRP even with no official access on the map. sounds great !
and I am so looking forward to explore the arboretum, saw so many pics about it !

It's even harder now to wait 3 more months

Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,369 times
I pay $19/month for my Rush membership. Cheaper than the YMCA and never have to wait for a treadmill or weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina