Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM

67 posts, read 146,986 times

Advertisements

So, my first hike I'm invited to since I moved to Blowing Rock last week, and it's Grandfather Mountain! Wow....what a first hike! Good thing my legs are in decent shape. Those vertical ladders! Holy cow! But I did it!! The drive was beautiful on the BRP getting there. The Linville viaduct is way cool! The views I must say, brough tears to my eyes. Such beauty is astonishing. I am so grateful to be living here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
glad you enjoyed.

the thing i remember about my last hike (years ago) on Grandfather was the roots on the trails and as you climbed. perhaps now that it is a state park it is not the case?

but you are right, the natural beauty is awe inspiring. quite the debut to the state

Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue4u View Post
So, my first hike I'm invited to since I moved to Blowing Rock last week, and it's Grandfather Mountain! Wow....what a first hike! Good thing my legs are in decent shape. Those vertical ladders! Holy cow! But I did it!! The drive was beautiful on the BRP getting there. The Linville viaduct is way cool! The views I must say, brough tears to my eyes. Such beauty is astonishing. I am so grateful to be living here!
So glad you enjoyed this state treasure

Next time hike the backside trails for a really remote, solitary experience

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Dani...Trail_0000.asp

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
glad you enjoyed.

the thing i remember about my last hike (years ago) on Grandfather was the roots on the trails and as you climbed. perhaps now that it is a state park it is not the case?

but you are right, the natural beauty is awe inspiring. quite the debut to the state

Yes, the roots....they are still here. Lots and lots of them. It can be quite tricky going through them in places. The hardest part was the flat rock surfaces you had to go up and down with no footholds and grasp the cables for dear life, as the rock was very damp and slippery. If it wasn't for those cables to grasp onto, it would have been impossible.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So glad you enjoyed this state treasure

Next time hike the backside trails for a really remote, solitary experience

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Dani...Trail_0000.asp
Thanks, I'll have to do that! Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Did you go up from the top shop attraction area? We like the Daniel Boone trail or the Profile Trail with a stop at the Shanty Spring. It's a great hike. Been too long since I've been up. Took the kids to the swinging bridge this summer and to the Shanty Spring in the springtime, but not sure they're ready for the ladders, etc.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM

61 posts, read 103,663 times
Now that you are in Blowing Rock, mark down April of each year. You can get into Grandfather Mountain for $2 during the month of April. (Including any guests you take, they can get in for $2 as well.)

Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayug View Post
Now that you are in Blowing Rock, mark down April of each year. You can get into Grandfather Mountain for $2 during the month of April. (Including any guests you take, they can get in for $2 as well.)

Cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina