Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:56 PM

162 posts, read 388,831 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just got off the phone with a relative who said that when there is not snow in/on the mountains above Asheville...it looks like *nuclear winter*, no green left at all as there are few evergreens compared to other varieties.

I would like some photos and opinions on this statement if you would

My husband wants to purchase land with a view for retirement in a few years and there are some land sales going on just outside of Asheville.

But for now there may be jobs available for him in a number of areas in NC so I am doing research...although I keep confusing myself on areas to look into

We will be coming for a short visit in October, likely about 10 days so we want to choose our towns to visit wisely.

I will go to other posts for all my other questions, but this one post is just about the accuracy of my cousins' statement.

Also, are there areas that are very hilly where there is at least a lot of green during the winter where there is acreage (aprox. 10-20 acres) for a homesite?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Hello,
I just got off the phone with a relative who said that when there is not snow in/on the mountains above Asheville...it looks like *nuclear winter*, no green left at all as there are few evergreens compared to other varieties.

I would like some photos and opinions on this statement if you would

My husband wants to purchase land with a view for retirement in a few years and there are some land sales going on just outside of Asheville.

But for now there may be jobs available for him in a number of areas in NC so I am doing research...although I keep confusing myself on areas to look into

We will be coming for a short visit in October, likely about 10 days so we want to choose our towns to visit wisely.

I will go to other posts for all my other questions, but this one post is just about the accuracy of my cousins' statement.

Also, are there areas that are very hilly where there is at least a lot of green during the winter where there is acreage (aprox. 10-20 acres) for a homesite?

Thank you!

You would be much better to come in mid to late November when all the leaves are down. The only place i can advise to look for that size homesite would be further west of Asheville, more towards Waynesville and Sylva areas.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Thank you
My husbands vacation time is the 2nd week in Oct. so no choice but then :/

Can you give me an idea of how long the leaves are down? As long as I am informed and aware, then I can become accustomed to the idea before our move

I am not sure of the exact location of the land sale...I will have a better idea tomorrow morning when I speak with the LW Land company. All it says is "minutes to Asheville/Lake James and minutes to Blue Ridge Parkway". *Minutes* could be anything, afterall, 60 minutes is still minutes etc. LOL

Thanks again, and my husband has applications all over but wants to focus on Waynesville and Asheville for the land...just want more time, as most of us do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You would be much better to come in mid to late November when all the leaves are down. The only place i can advise to look for that size homesite would be further west of Asheville, more towards Waynesville and Sylva areas.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
Thank you
My husbands vacation time is the 2nd week in Oct. so no choice but then :/

Can you give me an idea of how long the leaves are down? As long as I am informed and aware, then I can become accustomed to the idea before our move

I am not sure of the exact location of the land sale...I will have a better idea tomorrow morning when I speak with the LW Land company. All it says is "minutes to Asheville/Lake James and minutes to Blue Ridge Parkway". *Minutes* could be anything, afterall, 60 minutes is still minutes etc. LOL

Thanks again, and my husband has applications all over but wants to focus on Waynesville and Asheville for the land...just want more time, as most of us do!

The leaves are down like anywhere else in winter, they come back in the spring. Doubt very much you will find any tract of land that size anywhere near Asheville for less than hundreds of thousands $$$$. Land is very expensive in the mountains IF it is buildable. Get a reputable Realtor before you venture into unknown territory, or it could be a big waste of hubby's vaca. Who the heck is LW Land Co. ? If you've been looking on websites like this: | About Us | Buy Lots and Land | Foreclosed Lots for Sale which is what I found for "LW Land Co", you are chasing your tail. There are ads in every paper in the country about "fabulous land deals in NC". Buyer beware. If you are serious, you need a local experienced Realtor who knows the area.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 09-16-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 07:08 PM

This is some of the info I have thus far...the land we might check out is aprox. 8.6 miles west of downtown Asheville, but I am not so sure I want to be that far away from any downtown....so a lot of situations for me to consider and think about. Thank you One Day Sale | Buy Lots and Land | Foreclosed Lots for Sale

Quote:
The leaves are down like anywhere else in winter, they come back in the spring. Doubt very much you will find any tract of land that size anywhere near Asheville for less than hundreds of thousands $$$$. Land is very expensive in the mountains IF it is buildable. Get a reputable Realtor before you venture into unknown territory, or it could be a big waste of hubby's vaca. Who the heck is LW Land Co. ? If you've been looking on websites like this: | About Us | Buy Lots and Land | Foreclosed Lots for Sale which is what I found for "LW Land Co", you are chasing your tail. There are ads in every paper in the country about "fabulous land deals in NC". Buyer beware. If you are serious, you need a local experienced Realtor who knows the area.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM

LOL, I think we were posting that link about the same time. Hmmm, we are doing due diligence over the phone and talking with a realtor as well. Gathering info on *here* has always been helpful in the past and I appreciate your info and recommendation Will be very cautious now for certain!
Thank you....

Quote:

Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM

107 posts, read 249,678 times
Nuclear winter? I think we are one of few places that is beautiful in all seasons. In the wintertime you can see through the forest. That's pretty cool. I also have several evergreen bushes and some rosemary hedges (that are huge and have only been killed-but came back- from 1 snowstorm in ten years). We also have some flowers that start to come out in January and I have grown tomatoes through December in many years.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Seeing through the forest...a wonderful *view* of the view

I love that you grew tomatoes through Dec.! I want to have a huge garden...my husband wants certain things such as solar...and a well etc to ease the burden in retirement years and I love organic...I hope we can swing the Asheville area, as the farm to table offers seem amazing. At least as far as I have studied, guess I will learn more as I keep questioning.

My parents live in NM and the winter season is over in less than 2 months as far as the leaves are concerned. I have lived in WA state and CA so my experience with long winters is quite different than there......which is why I asked for a time frame LOL

Thank you for your help and perspective, it was very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailstothesea View Post
Nuclear winter? I think we are one of few places that is beautiful in all seasons. In the wintertime you can see through the forest. That's pretty cool. I also have several evergreen bushes and some rosemary hedges (that are huge and have only been killed-but came back- from 1 snowstorm in ten years). We also have some flowers that start to come out in January and I have grown tomatoes through December in many years.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM

606 posts, read 1,979,204 times
Trailstothesea is right, there is lots of green all year long. Just not as much as in the summer. I love the long views in the winter! Evergreens in the mountains include Hemlock, Cedar, Holly, Rhododendron and Laurel, fir, pines, and other low growing shrubs. The mountains are beautiful in all seasons, even when the leaves are off . . . near 4000' they can be off as long as 6 months!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
The leaves will be completely down a some point in November and won't be fully back until April. Some leaves will begin sprouting in late March.

Spring and Fall are the most pleasant seasons and they unfold over a long time-frame.

Although the mountains are still scenic in winter, they look vastly different the rest of the year. Some have described the mountains in winter as looking like they have a crew cut.

Personally, I find there is still a tiny bit of green in the grass in December which contrasts nicely with the native Rye Grass in the fields, giving a green and gold look to the ground. By February, everything is extremely brown/gray and I usually want to slit my wrists. Unlike places further north, we don't get as much snow. It's all prettier in the snow, but then you have to deal with ice.

Then spring comes and our world is transformed. To see it go from the gray/brown of February to green and flowers everywhere never ceases to amaze me. It's hard to believe it's the same place.

I think there is more difference in the seasonal look here than in Washington state. We do have evergreens, but they have more of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina