Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

I won't get into all the details, but two couples I know visited Asheville two weekends ago, and while at the Thirsty Monk, were literally accosted 3 times while sitting outside.

Each person that came up to them was told - no, we donate to various organizations but we don't give out money on the street but we can direct you to a homeless shelter. . .

My friends were shocked at the abusive language that started after each of these encounters. They were all called Racists, Romney haters, Tea Partiers, etc. and each of these homeless folks started screaming and yelling and saying things such as "you white people deserve to die" . . . very hostile, upsetting slurs and ugliness. Oh, and one kept saying - "You gonna see what gonna happen if Newt Romney wins. You gonna see." (Yes, he was saying "Newt Romney" LOLOLOL)

Just crazy awful stuff - to the point that one of the women got really worried during the third encounter, b/c the guy was standing over her and looked really drugged out and was very hyped up, so they paid for their beers and left. The guys said they were not inclined to say much to these crazies b/c they were so afraid of escalating the disturbance and unstable behavior.

What the hell is this all about? Where are these people coming from - and why are they slinking around Asheville streets, panhandling and accosting others? Was this just some isolated strange incidence or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
I know a guy who deals with panhandlers by panhandling them. The minute they approach him, before they can get a word out, he moves toward them and asks if they can spare a buck for bus fare (or food, or whatever). They usually just walk away. Or laugh.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
They should have called the police.

I was just reading about aggressive panhandlers on the Chattanooga forum. Sounds like they have a lot of them there.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
Panhandlers are the main reason I never spent time in downtown as an asheville resident. That and I thought the vast majority of restaurants cater to tourists and are way way overpriced. On more than one occasion I saw said panhandlers peeing on random buildings and... once an electrical box...

At one point there was a rumor that Charlotte's mayor offered their homeless one way tickets to asheville. I seem to remember it even being mentioned in the paper. cant remember if its fact or fiction though. Makes for a good laugh I suppose.

In seriousness I think its a combination of asheville being the biggest city in wnc and it having tons of organisations that open their arms for them.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 10-16-2012 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 AM

252 posts, read 474,047 times
Whenever I've been asked for handouts in Dallas, Raleigh, Baltimore, NYC, or here in Asheville, I just say I'm sorry I don't carry cash. Maybe if the beggars don't feel insulted, they won't get all indignant & scary.

Panhandling is not just an Asheville issue. It's everywhere.

(Kmarc, that is too funny!!)

Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Yea, they were probably better off just saying 'no.'

I have a funny story...I seem to get panhandled whenever I'm out to dinner, and I always say, 'no thank you.' So one day this panhandler comes up to me and says "Jesus is your savior" instead of the usual "Got any spare change?" and so I, per my usual, automatically say "No, thank you." Cracked me and my friends up for days.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
Panhandling is not just an Asheville issue. It's everywhere.
I remember when panhandling and homelessness was unheard of, outside of New York City.

You have to ask what the heck happened.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM

204 posts, read 422,673 times
Asheville is pretty liberal right?? so better start taking care of them..hand outs as usual...that is why they are all flocking there. Sorry to be political but if they know as one of you posted that they can get all kinds of FREE services then they will keep coming to the area. I live in Democratic Maryland..same deal...we are over run with immigrants and Freebies..makes me definately NOT want to move to Asheville...wasn't anyway but now it is for sure.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
At one point there was a rumor that Charlotte's mayor offered their homeless one way tickets to asheville. I seem to remember it even being mentioned in the paper. cant remember if its fact or fiction though. Makes for a good laugh I suppose.
Someone in the Chattanooga forum said there was a rumor that Georgia was busing their homeless to Chattanooga!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
I don't know about specific cities or states, but these bussing programs are for real. In Florida, some cities offer one way tickets back to wherever the homeless person came from. They try to coordinate with family members or relatives of the homeless person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina