Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times

Advertisements

We are going to be in the area the first week of November. Have the started working on Wal-Mart or widening Main Street going toward that area? We always look forward to having breakfast at least a couple of times at Clydes and I believe it was said that they would be moving for the road widening. Also, any comments on Big Mountain Barbeque? In all the years we have been coming to Waynesville, we have never had any of their food and figure this is the year to try them.

Anything else exciting going on up there?

Thanks! Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,234 times
Hi Steve.

No - nothing in Waynesville itself. They are currently paving I-40 in Haywood County and the work is at night (after 8, I think) so good to be aware of that, as sometimes it clogs things up when you are on your way home from a late dinner in Asheville or something.

The new HD / WalMart hasn't started yet. They are still clearing out the old Dayco site.

If you are in town the first week of Nov. I think that you can catch "Art after Dark" on Main St., where the shops all stay open late (9 or 10) on the first Friday of the month. and serve food and beverages to patrons. It's kind of fun. The fall days are full of festivals and there is plenty to do. Many of the best things are free - the Parkway, the scenery, etc. It's great.

I am not sure if Clydes is leased or owned. If owned, they will probably stay where they are (good visibility and traffic count). Big Mtn. BBQ was on leased property, from what I understand and was run off by a skyrocketing lease renewal. They are at a new location on Elysian St (sp?) down in the Hazelwood area. If you are in West Waynesville, take Brown Avenue (pass little Ingles on your left) into Hazelwood. At the stoplight in Hazelwood, turn left. Go over the train tracks and the road splits. Take the split to the right (Elysian) and Big Mtn is down a few places on the left. They renovated a house for the restaurant. Haven't been to the new location, but ate there the day before they were to move. I'm sure it will still be tasty.

You will probably miss the most brilliant of the Fall colors, but sometimes they lag a bit, so you never know. I hope you have fun while you are here. Get a pizza at Nick & Nates - it is really good (had one last night). Most of all, relax and enjoy your stay.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Anything else exciting going on up there?
I asked the folks who have built a house across from our lot that question the other day during a phone conversation, and they said, "Well, a flock of wild turkeys has taken up residence in the neighborhood."

I'll take that any day over the gruesome stuff that makes news in South Florida.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 PM

Default jbrid22 & chisoxfan

jbird 22 - Thanks for the info. Never have done the "Art after Dark". We won't get there until Saturday, but I'm filing that for a future time. We rent a house near Dillsboro while we are in the area, but have friends in Waynesville and spend a lot of time there. We used to come up the last week of October, but a few years ago we realized that if we waited until the first week of November, there seemed to be a lot less tourists around and we still get a reasonable shot at fall color. Last year we missed the maples, but the oaks were beautiful. Two years ago, we hit the peak during our week. So you never know.

We own some land in Cullowhee, but are still poking around looking at land in Waynesville for retirement. We alway do enjoy a relaxing week and between Bogarts, Nick and Nates, Lulu's in Sylva, and Big Mtn, I don't think we'll be cooking at the house much.

chisoxfan - I sure know where you are coming from with you comment about gruesome stuff in FL. Here in the Orlando area it also is getting worse at a full gallop. Crime, traffic and people who always seem to be angry. We usually drive up to Tryon and spend the first night. They have a great Mexican restaurant there and when I walk in for dinner I can feel the tension melting away and I know that the next week will be so nice. I can't wait until I can change that week stay to permanent
Steve

Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 AM

I think your timing will be perfect. I hope you have a relaxing visit. Turkeys should be out and about. There were a bunch near my house in Waynesville. I have moved a little closer to Asheville (bigger house & yard) and miss all of the Waynesville "wildlife" that was so close. (deer, turkey, coyote, owls, hawks, all of the great birds in the back yard, raccoons, etc.)

Good stuff.

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
jbird 22 - Thanks for the info. Never have done the "Art after Dark". We won't get there until Saturday, but I'm filing that for a future time. We rent a house near Dillsboro while we are in the area, but have friends in Waynesville and spend a lot of time there. We used to come up the last week of October, but a few years ago we realized that if we waited until the first week of November, there seemed to be a lot less tourists around and we still get a reasonable shot at fall color. Last year we missed the maples, but the oaks were beautiful. Two years ago, we hit the peak during our week. So you never know.

We own some land in Cullowhee, but are still poking around looking at land in Waynesville for retirement. We alway do enjoy a relaxing week and between Bogarts, Nick and Nates, Lulu's in Sylva, and Big Mtn, I don't think we'll be cooking at the house much.

chisoxfan - I sure know where you are coming from with you comment about gruesome stuff in FL. Here in the Orlando area it also is getting worse at a full gallop. Crime, traffic and people who always seem to be angry. We usually drive up to Tryon and spend the first night. They have a great Mexican restaurant there and when I walk in for dinner I can feel the tension melting away and I know that the next week will be so nice. I can't wait until I can change that week stay to permanent
Steve

Old 10-09-2007, 09:32 PM

123 posts, read 534,209 times
is that mexican restaurant in hazelwood still there? man i loved the buffet at that place. they had another one in mv, but it wasn't as good. is saratoga's still there in mv? what about that big club, i think it was something like thunder house?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:03 AM

Default local stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
is that mexican restaurant in hazelwood still there? man i loved the buffet at that place. they had another one in mv, but it wasn't as good. is saratoga's still there in mv? what about that big club, i think it was something like thunder house?
Can't think of a Mexican restaurant in Hazelwood... Unless Pasquales (I guess I didn't know what kind of food they had)? It is still there - I haven't been to that one. I like the El Chapala restaurants. THere is one in Canton and one Candler/W. Asheville area, right off of I-40 @ exit 44. Both very good, very speedy and very affordable.

I think that Thunder Road is now called Eagle's Nest or Eagle Crest or something. (I don't get to MV too often). I believe I heard that Saratoga's closed and changed hands... THere is a new(er) "waterin' hole" in Waynesville, right where Depot St. tees out onto Main Street, called "Headlights". They have a huge "malted beverage" selection, good appetizer food, TV's with sports playing, etc. It is no smoking (which I tend to like) and gets a good, regular crowd. They have done very well in this, their first year. They opened another location in MV, with fancier fare, but I heard about a month ago that that location didn't make it.

I've probably already told you more than I know...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 AM

41 posts, read 113,645 times
[quote=jbird22;1602297]Hi Steve.

No - nothing in Waynesville itself.
The new HD / WalMart hasn't started yet. They are still clearing out the old Dayco site.

no...no mall????were do I shop than if I go there? just small grocery shops? is is hard to shop in small places with my son.....I look over the Internet and that is a wall-mart there....
where can I do my daily shopping? please tell me if is that bad...

Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Default average_joe

I believe I know what Mexican restaurant you mean. It was on the corner of Allens Creek Rd & Main St in West Waynesville. We used to pass by it all the time on our way to the Grandview Lodge. I think the name was Guaybitos or something like that. We never ate at the one in Waynesville but did try the one in Maggie. The Waynesville location has been gone for a few years now. I don't know if they closed or just moved.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 PM

123 posts, read 534,209 times
That's the place. Guayvito's!!! Man their buffet at the H-wood location was the best!!! I personally didn't like the MV location, but they did have good drinks at that one though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina