Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,350 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Asheville in the next month or so depending on my job offer. I am a young professional that likes a night out on the town from time to time. I am pretty savvy at fixing up houses. My current house will sell for about 200k, so I should have some money to play with. I expect with my new salary I should be able to afford 250-300k when the house is finished. Are there any good areas to do this in or near Asheville? I have heard from people at my interview that their might be some neighborhoods near downtown getting done over. Also, what should I expect for pricing (buying and selling finished)? Thanks for you help.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Problem is that the draconian city of Asheville has pretty much made the purchase of a fixer upper and sweat equity an impossible concept. If the house does not pass all of the stringent standards, then you can't get a CO, thus you would have to rent elsewhere while you work on your house. Not a viable option, nor even wise for people watching their $$'s by investing their time and effort instead of their $$'s, typically because they don't have a bunch of money to spend.

The restrictions are far too extensive to list here, but they prevent you getting your "certificate of occupancy" which is required to get your water service turned on. But it can be as insignificant as a cracked (but intact) pane of glass in a window.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Default older homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Problem is that the draconian city of Asheville has pretty much made the purchase of a fixer upper and sweat equity an impossible concept. If the house does not pass all of the stringent standards, then you can't get a CO, thus you would have to rent elsewhere while you work on your house. Not a viable option, nor even wise for people watching their $$'s by investing their time and effort instead of their $$'s, typically because they don't have a bunch of money to spend.

The restrictions are far too extensive to list here, but they prevent you getting your "certificate of occupancy" which is required to get your water service turned on. But it can be as insignificant as a cracked (but intact) pane of glass in a window.

WOW! Really? I am glad that my houses were/are a little further West in Haywood County! BUT, they weren't inhabitable to begin with, just needed lots of updates. We lived in them and fixed as we could (not an optimal situation, but it worked at the time). One is a work in progress Just got electrical service upgraded over the summer on the "new" house (70 years old) - big help. I guess it all depends on your level of "re" work, as to what rules & regs apply.

I like the idea of getting a re-sale home vs. building one. Just seems like the responsible thing to do.

j-bird

Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Here is a link to a flowchart detailing just the bureaucracy involved http://www.ashevillenc.gov/uploadedF.../flowchart.pdf

One tiny section from the housing code;
Quote:
2. Each window sash shall be fully supplied with glass window panes or an approved substitute which are without open cracks or holes. Wood, cardboard or polyethylene or other plastic film are not approved substitutes. A window pane with a crack or hole must be replaced or the crack or hole sealed with clear silicone seal. A broken window (pieces missing or exposed glass edge) must be replaced.
Or you can't get a certificate of occupancy and move in so you can fix it yourself.
http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=12499&sid=33

Old 10-16-2007, 01:43 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Oh, I believe you... but that's just unreal!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,350 times
I guess I don't really know the rules here in Michigan, but fixing windows are quick. Are there any certain areas close to downtown (walking or biking distance) that are currently rebuilding? I gutted the house I currently live in in MI, so I am not scared of much. This one have standing water in the basement. Hence the reason I got it so cheap. I think this time around I will probably just contract most of the work out. I don't really want to be dealing with a construction zone for 7 months like this house.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM

Yes, a window is a quick fix, given it is a traditional sash window, but many of the criteria on that the city's "must" list aren't quick fixes. Peeling paint on the exterior can also be a show stopper, which is a show stopper when winter weather makes painting impossible to unwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: