Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,696 times

Advertisements

Hi city-data! I have a few specific questions, I have not seen answered elsewhere here. We are originally from the Triad in NC. Last 10 years, have lived in Florida, due to my husbands job. We get the opportunity to start up a new office in the Western NC area, and we are thrilled to be moving close to home again. Here are my questions...We love Boone (and outlying areas) but see that there is a severe housing problem. We are even having trouble finding an office to lease. I am not sure if I should just give up on that area? I love mountain trail biking, organic farming, cold weather, and I home school my smallest. SO, I was thinking Boone would be great. Watauga High seems great for my teenager, and my 21 year old would work for my husband. Does anyone find housing that is decent here, if you just wait for it to surface? And due to the college, is it a party/drunk town? Is it a good area for young adults? Or scary/drug issues?

SO, I was looking into somewhere outside of Asheville. (because of the housing issues of Boone) I do NOT want to be in a large town. Maybe Waynesville for a family? Is housing any better? I really want elevation, and it seems you can have that there also. Are there hiking trails, or greenway trails I could walk to easily? I wish I could be on the Creeper Trail, but Damascus is a bit TOO small of a town. We are outdoorsy folk. Would young adults be happy in Waynesville?

I usually only shop local if possible. I prefer home made or local to china/Walmart any day. Want a few box stores, like a Target for occasional supplies,nearby though. I only buy groceries from co-ops or organic grocers/local farms. I need trails for jogging/biking. I am big on volunteering. And we would bring a few skilled jobs to the area. Great schools are a must for my teenager.

I just really would like opinions on, if you had to choose, which one would you pick and why! Or from reading my info, you could recommend another area close by? We want to retire in one of these towns, and finish raising our kids. I grew up in the NC country, and want my chickens and gardens again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Weaverville, Hendersonville, Waynesville, Mills River, possibly Black Mountain

The above would give you good access to Asheville plus all of the farm market and agriculture, and access to parks and trails.

Plenty for the young adults to do as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks QuilterChick! I have lived briefly, in Hendersonville area (Arden area actually, and have some family there.) I just am not feeling it. I am not sure why.

I was looking at Weaverville. Does it have a walkable, shoppable downtown? I actually have only drove by it, so don't know its vibe at all? I was a little worried about the high school there. It was rated 4 out of 10 by great schools web site. Is it a family town?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Grapefruit View Post
Hi city-data! I have a few specific questions, I have not seen answered elsewhere here. We are originally from the Triad in NC. Last 10 years, have lived in Florida, due to my husbands job. We get the opportunity to start up a new office in the Western NC area, and we are thrilled to be moving close to home again. Here are my questions...We love Boone (and outlying areas) but see that there is a severe housing problem. We are even having trouble finding an office to lease. I am not sure if I should just give up on that area? I love mountain trail biking, organic farming, cold weather, and I home school my smallest. SO, I was thinking Boone would be great. Watauga High seems great for my teenager, and my 21 year old would work for my husband. Does anyone find housing that is decent here, if you just wait for it to surface? And due to the college, is it a party/drunk town? Is it a good area for young adults? Or scary/drug issues?
With regard to Boone, are you looking at rental housing or to buy? If rentals, then yes, I understand your problem. Otherwise, even though the real estate market is improving, it's still very much a buyer's market. There are always a lot of rentals listed in the weekly Mountain Times. If you get something a little bit out of town, you won't have the rowdy student issues.

I can't speak to availability of office space... haven't been in that market for many years.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Grapefruit View Post
SO, I was looking into somewhere outside of Asheville. (because of the housing issues of Boone) I do NOT want to be in a large town. Maybe Waynesville for a family? Is housing any better?
Not in the RE biz, but my slight knowledge suggests there are many housing situs for rent/buy.
I really want elevation, and it seems you can have that there also. Elevation, yes: the 'town' is at ~2500 ft, with a ring of higher elevations, up to 6100+ ft surrounding Waynesville. Some/many of the houses at higher elevations are not cheap.

Are there hiking trails, or greenway trails I could walk to easily?
GOOG shows several links of info:
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4PRFB_enUS489US534&q=Waynesville%2CNC+hiki ng+and+walking+trails

And, downtown is very walkable...

I wish I could be on the Creeper Trail, but Damascus is a bit TOO small of a town. We are outdoorsy folk. Would young adults be happy in Waynesville?
I think so, but don't personally know/hang with many 'young adults'. Maybe a peer of yours can chime in.

I usually only shop local if possible. I prefer home made or local to china/Walmart any day. Want a few box stores, like a Target for occasional supplies,nearby though. I only buy groceries from co-ops or organic grocers/local farms. I need trails for jogging/biking. I am big on volunteering. And we would bring a few skilled jobs to the area. Great schools are a must for my teenager.
Waynesville has a Walmart, Dollar stores, Big Lots, Best Buy, Lowe's, et al. Nearest Target is in Asheville...2 local farmers' markets, both very good, with local meat, fish fresh from OBX, greens, veggies, etc. The local Ingles is like any Ingles in western NC: so-so, imo. A couple of other grocery chains too. Schools are good based upon hearing from a couple of friends with school age kids, and there are volunteers situs by the dozens, literally.

I just really would like opinions on, if you had to choose, which one would you pick and why! Or from reading my info, you could recommend another area close by? We want to retire in one of these towns, and finish raising our kids. I grew up in the NC country, and want my chickens and gardens again!
We have lived in/above Waynesville since Sept 2011, and we enjoy the town, the area and the people very much. But, we are RetiredBums, and a very different perspective vs a young family. Waynesville is wonderful, but not pumping it/the area. Visits are a must, wherever you want to inspect, imo.
GL, mD

Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Roadpony, we plan to rent office and house first year, while we get a lay of the land better. The business will buy land and probably build a new building in that year. We want to buy as well, as soon as a lease runs out. And I definitely want to be a bit outside of the city, but not so far, that I can't get out all winter! (Even though I am a homebody)

Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks MotorDavid for the reply. Very helpful! Actually, a post by you, months ago, is what made me look into Waynesville. I have visited all the areas I want to relocate, EXCEPT Waynesville. I will head that way soon. My Dad has been very ill this entire year, and I have spent most of it, in a hospital, in Greensboro. Makes my town visiting go rather slowly!

Retirement is only 10 years away for us too, so we want this house to be IT. DONE! Two oldest kids will be out soon, and we want to "putter around" more! We don't want a real "happening" area. LOL We like to occasionally eat out, but I prefer to cook! A good Farmers Market, and festival or two and I am happy.

I took notice of the area originally, because you can live at a higher elevation and avoid a lot of heat. We have sweltered in Florida. We are definitely cool weather people.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM

83 posts, read 266,256 times
Boone is a college town. Lots of hippy kids running around smoking pot. Meth is a problem here, but it is everywhere else too. Housing is expensive. Most house rentals are for students. You can find nice houses to rent in the area, but expect to pay 1000/month. Lenoir is just 25 minutes from Blowing Rock, and houses are much more affordable. Houses are also cheaper where I live, in Ashe County, but not by much. At least we don't get the college crowd running around. Traffic in Boone sucks when school is in session.

Watauga has great schools. There are a couple of 'natural' grocery stores, including Earthfare. Lots of shops downtown with handmade goods, including pottery, clothes, household goods.

I think you would love it here.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM

95 posts, read 171,093 times
We moved to Crabtree which is near Waynesville in March 2012.

There are lots of trails to hike with the Great Smokies about half an hour away. Downtown Waynesville is cute with several festivals.

I'm in my late 30's, but few comfortable among all the retirees and close to being retirees. Frog Level is my favorite hangout, with a good mix of young and older adults at the coffee house and brewery.

The farmer's markets are okay, but I prefer Duckett's in Crabtree and Maggie Valley for farm fresh produce and Sentelle's for fresh seafood.

Housing seems to be plentiful around the 250k range according to my realtor friends. Lots of great views here at higher elevations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina