Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:59 PM

13 posts, read 78,279 times

Advertisements

Asheville is someplace that seems mystical to me. Never been. every time I have a trip planned 10x over the last year and 1/2 something comes up.

I am looking for a smaller town, liberal, homey, a place that is easy to meet people, can catch some good meals, be entertained, go on walks... a place where people know each other by name, feel safe,friends love to gather for dinner, still have a beat within the community, where I can get a teaching job that would sustain me in a good district, easy to get around in, maybe meet a mate, a place that is not grey 6 months of the year, a place to live that is pedestrian friendly, and maybe adopt a child.

I am single, 38, live in Akron, Ohio..had my teaching job for 13 years..and know it is time to leave.... but the community of friends, and my decent paying teaching job under good circumstances keeps suckiing me back in.......

Am I romanticizing Asheville? or is this the place I am looking for?

I feel it would be a place I would be happy in... Happy now... but make a new step into rather......

Thanks a lot. Parsley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:03 PM

70 posts, read 227,412 times
Hi there,
I live east of Asheville, so I can't speak to living there. You had the right idea in going there, and spend some time getting to know the area. It would help if you had a guide of some sort, as wandering around by yourself is not going to answer a lot of your questions. Also, a local could make productive use of your time. Any vacation time left? Maybe visit winter and summer for the extremes. Spring and fall are great here. Make this a priority and do it. I think you will have to answer most of these questions yourself. Also, research towns around Asheville. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley5 View Post
Asheville is someplace that seems mystical to me. Never been. every time I have a trip planned 10x over the last year and 1/2 something comes up.

I am looking for a smaller town, liberal, homey, a place that is easy to meet people, can catch some good meals, be entertained, go on walks... a place where people know each other by name, feel safe,friends love to gather for dinner, still have a beat within the community, where I can get a teaching job that would sustain me in a good district, easy to get around in, maybe meet a mate, a place that is not grey 6 months of the year, a place to live that is pedestrian friendly, and maybe adopt a child.

I am single, 38, live in Akron, Ohio..had my teaching job for 13 years..and know it is time to leave.... but the community of friends, and my decent paying teaching job under good circumstances keeps suckiing me back in.......

Am I romanticizing Asheville? or is this the place I am looking for?

I feel it would be a place I would be happy in... Happy now... but make a new step into rather......

Thanks a lot. Parsley
Hi, Parsley,

Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of helpful, friendly people here. Suggest you use the forum's "search" function to find a ton of threads about Asheville.

My input: Fantacizing is romanticizing by definition; both are products of the imagination. You need to actually visit, explore, research, and return again and again. And then rent before you purchase anything to get to know the area in depth. And be sure you have a job here before you leave the one you have--that's the most important thing!

Having said all of that, I'm originally from PA and think I understand what you're saying. My husband and I just "came home" to the Asheville area a month ago. We LOVE it here!!!!

Diary of a Transplant (San Diego to Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard)

We wish you dreams that can come true!

Jan

Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 PM

13 posts, read 78,279 times
I really like that you said you and your husband just 'came home" to asheville..... Yes, I have time off over xmas... Here we come! Parsley

Old 11-11-2007, 07:19 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsley5 View Post
I really like that you said you and your husband just 'came home" to asheville..... Yes, I have time off over xmas... Here we come! Parsley
Terrific! By the way, Christmas parades, festivals, concerts, and such are all over by about Dec. 15 around here. UNC-A folds up because classes are out. Lots of things slow down, snowbirds are gone--so it will give you a taste of only that part of the year you're here--but it's a great start! Enjoy!!

Jan

Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default Yes, you are romanticizing!!!

But you are not the first to do it! I am an NC native - have seen this same things happen to several other people!

It may be the place for you . . . may not . . . you may be disappointed b/c of high expectations. As someone else mentioned, do not hesitate to check out other towns and communities around A'ville.

Hope you have a wonderful trip to western NC and find what you are looking for!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina