Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 112,564 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to asheville nc, from southeast florida. I lilke the downtown area, west asheville or near unca. wondering about how safe these neighborhoods are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
In Asheville I'd say go north or south. My son used to be a Police Officer in Asheville and West Asheville was his assignment. Some of the stories were unreal.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Anywhere in Asheville is good except for West Asheville. I live part time in East Asheville near the mall and it is completely safe. North is beautiful, but expensive. As long as you stay out of the West Asheville you will be fine.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM

124 posts, read 815,814 times
You need to search these boards and find recent stuff about Asheville one called "the good, bad and ugly", great board. No one has many great things to say about W asheville. I've been there a couple times and it seems transitional....close to town it's lots of hippy kids with dreads, rehabbing little bungalows trying to make a name for their neighborhood. I have heard through this site that there's lotsa drugs there. Depends on what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccool719 View Post
You need to search these boards and find recent stuff about Asheville one called "the good, bad and ugly", great board. No one has many great things to say about W asheville. I've been there a couple times and it seems transitional....close to town it's lots of hippy kids with dreads, rehabbing little bungalows trying to make a name for their neighborhood. I have heard through this site that there's lotsa drugs there. Depends on what you are looking for. Good luck.

this is my first time posting, so I don't know what i'm doing. would like to know where the housing project (bad neighborhood) is in west asheville?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Red face safe affordable neighborhoods in asheville

where are the housing projects in west asheville?
is there any affordable neighborhoods near unca?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 PM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
The housing project you're speaking of is Pisgah View Apartments. This is where the MAJORITY of big time crime is in the West Asheville. Find "Granada St" on a map; that's where it is. I'm guessing that's where businessperson's son had his greatest challenge as a police officer.

West Asheville is getting a bad rep on this thread. It's an area for young professionals, artists, and many 40s-50s bungalows have been nicely restored. There are good areas. Close to Haywood Rd, west of I-240 is actually quite nice. Further west off of Sulphur Springs and Sand Hill are fine, too, and the Malvern hills area is good.

Neighborhoods near UNCA are quite expensive, without exception.

Last edited by cooperwx; 04-06-2007 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 PM

31 posts, read 344,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post

West Asheville is getting a bad rep on this thread. It's an area for young professionals, artists, and many 40s-50s bungalows have been nicely restored. There are good areas.

I agree. I lived in West Asheville all through high school. So did all of my friends. My father still lives in West Asheville.

It's getting cumbersome hearing about how bad that area is especially from people who only live in Asheville part time. Yes, some parts are run down. Yes, some criminals live in the area. Yes, there is a housing project. Big deal. You can find that in any city. I must add that there is a project in the Arden area and East Asheville.

Interesting how people judge projects so harshly. What an ignorant attitude to have. While it's true that a lot of crime does occur in SOME projects, not everyone that lives in the projects are looking to get arrested or harm someone. For many, it's all they can afford. There really is no set "ghetto" in Asheville.

West Asheville has come a long way. As one poster mentioned there is a lot of restoration, new funky coffee shops, and many educated people live in the area because they like the diversity and the uniqueness.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:00 PM

20 posts, read 116,328 times
Good post about crime. Good to hear that perhaps west Asheville has some growth opportunities. I am just wondering what the political climate is for Asheville as a whole?

Old 04-07-2007, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 74,856 times
Default Asheville

I too am interested in finding out about Asheville. I have done extensive research online about living there and the people, and it sounds fabulous from what I have read. I was wondering how hard it is to get a job. I am checking into moving there myself and have started the job search with a couple of bites, but all 2nd-3rd shift work. I can't do that as I have a 5 year old son and I am single. I work in HIV/Substance Abuse Counseling. Anyone have anything to ad or comment on this?? Thanks for any input ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina