Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 PM

56 posts, read 32,698 times

Advertisements

I think it would be good for people who are looking to a better future and also to live more a mayberry lifestyle to start thinking of small towns around the appalachians if one stays in america....

I think it would be good for American Christians to begin seriously thinking of moving to Canada... forming a big group to help one another... life span stats has been showing americans having less life and happiness more and more compared to countrys like canada.....and also america is becoming more and more anti christian with the inequality of wealth and power with the few and becoming more like a third world country....

I think if a family had moved to canada before the civil war... and if their family members lives was traced to NOW we would see that the move HELPED..

Would like to see a group of american christians with this understanding and direction.... would like to see this group GROW.... and all interact within ... but would like to live in a mayberry type town around the appalachians but still interact with an american christian group seriously thinking of moving their families to Canada...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 05:23 PM

83 posts, read 346,506 times
It may surprise you that many people (including myself) who are not christian are looking for the same things you are. I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly but I feel that excluding non christians in your vision may cheat you of meeting some great people whom you have a lot in common with. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 PM

21 posts, read 135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
It may surprise you that many people (including myself) who are not christian are looking for the same things you are. I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly but I feel that excluding non christians in your vision may cheat you of meeting some great people whom you have a lot in common with. Just wanted to throw that out there.
I have to agree. I'm not here to promote religious affiliation or denominational association. While I respect people's rights to believe what they want and to speak freely of such things, this is not really the place for that discussion. That would be more appropriate on a Christian forum.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 PM

actually....happiness ... is the one TRUE religion... one can label it anyway one wants.... but in the last 20 years there have been many health studies and psychological studies .. alot concerning our immune systems which really is our natural bible and tells us which religion is most true.... in short what gives us the best and longest happiness.. produces a longer life span thru an increased immune system...it just so happens these studies the last 20 yrs goes shockingly right with what christ said was good and bad for us...

but people don't have to call themselves christian... or even know anything about christianity.... if one lives according to what makes us happy and healthy we would be living the CORRECT religion.... the life span stats are the single thing to look at to find who is living the most correct religion... and this shows EQUALITY as a BIG key to this...

here is some neat info....

Here is some good info to better understand just what is happening to americans..

in the United States, where life expectancy at birth is about 77, the top 10 percent earn 16 times as much as the poorest 10 percent. In the United Kingdom, where life expectancy is about a year longer, the top tier earns 14 times as much.

But in Sweden and Norway, where the top 10 percent earn only six times as much as the poorest, life expectancy reaches about 80. In Japan, the richest earn 4.5 times as much, and life expectancy is 82.

The same pattern can be seen within the United States. Some states -- New Hampshire, Vermont, Wisconsin, Utah -- where income differences are smaller "have death rates as low as Britain," explains Wilkinson in an e-mail. Death rates are highest in states with the biggest income differences -- Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, Alabama, Kentucky.

Previous research has shown that people are more trusting of each other in more economically equal states. Participation in community life is greater, social supports are stronger and levels of violence are lower.

"The higher violence and lower trust all suggest that social relations are poorer in more unequal societies,"

japan does indeed have a more christian nature of how the country and system is run... It is more equal than any other system..... right with what christ says...and they do get these rewards like christ says....

more wealth inequality is more anti christian and more harm comes to the people... this is like a third world country..

Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,835 times
I am sorry to inform you that third world countries are also very Christian. And I find it very out that your trying to find a group of "healthy christians" to move to Canada and leave OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 PM

americans life span was 13th best in the world in 1960.. in 2000 down to 26th best and this is with the biggest advantage of the best resources....this is very scary ....

i'm use to the culture of the southern appalachians and may find a mayberry type of small town in the mtns that is NOT CONNECTED to the SYSTEM.... the SYSTEM is giving americans great pain.... BUT even in those small out of the way towns... the system will influence in some painful ways...

Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 PM

i'm talking about thrid world countries that have a high inequality gap.... this is really anti christian.. this is what third world countrys have.. very high wealth inequality....

Old 10-25-2006, 09:53 PM

here is more info... May 5, 2006

Is being an American bad for your health? That's the apparent implication of a study just published in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

It's not news that something is very wrong with the state of America's health. International comparisons show that the United States has achieved a sort of inverse miracle: we spend much more per person on health care than any other nation, yet we have lower life expectancy and higher infant mortality than Canada, Japan and most of Europe.

But it isn't clear exactly what causes this stunningly poor performance. How much of America's poor health is the result of our failure, unique among wealthy nations, to guarantee health insurance to all? How much is the result of racial and class divisions? How much is the result of other aspects of the American way of life?

The new study, "Disease and Disadvantage in the United States and in England," doesn't resolve all of these questions. Yet it offers strong evidence that there's something about American society that makes us sicker than we should be.

The authors of the study compared the prevalence of such diseases as diabetes and hypertension in Americans 55 to 64 years old with the prevalence of the same diseases in a comparable group in England. Comparing us with the English isn't a choice designed to highlight American problems: Britain spends only about 40 percent as much per person on health care as the United States, and its health care system is generally considered inferior to those of neighboring countries, especially France. Moreover, England isn't noted either for healthy eating or for a healthy lifestyle.

Nonetheless, the study concludes that "Americans are much sicker than the English." For example, middle-age Americans are twice as likely to suffer from diabetes as their English counterparts. That's a striking finding in itself.

What's even more striking is that being American seems to damage your health regardless of your race and social class.

That's not to say that class is irrelevant. (The researchers excluded racial effects by restricting the study to non-Hispanic whites.) In fact, there's a strong correlation within each country between wealth and health. But Americans are so much sicker that the richest third of Americans is in worse health than the poorest third of the English.

So what's going on? Lack of health insurance is surely a factor in the poor health of lower-income Americans, who are often uninsured, while everyone in England receives health care from the government. But almost all upper-income Americans have insurance.

What about bad habits, which the study calls "behavioral risk factors"? The stereotypes are true: the English are much more likely to be heavy drinkers, and Americans much more likely to be obese. But a statistical analysis suggests that bad habits are only a fraction of the story.

In the end, the study's authors seem baffled by the poor health of even relatively well-off Americans. But let me suggest a couple of possible explanations.

One is that having health insurance doesn't ensure good health care. For example, a New York Times report on diabetes pointed out that insurance companies are generally unwilling to pay for care that might head off the disease, even though they are willing to pay for the extreme measures, like amputations, that become necessary when prevention fails. It's possible that Britain's National Health Service, in spite of its limited budget, actually provides better all-around medical care than our system because it takes a broader, longer-term view than private insurance companies.

The other possibility is that Americans work too hard and experience too much stress. Full-time American workers work, on average, about 46 weeks per year; full-time British, French and German workers work only 41 weeks a year. I've pointed out in the past that our workaholic economy is actually more destructive of the "family values" we claim to honor than the European economies in which regulations and union power have led to shorter working hours.

Maybe overwork, together with the stress of living in an economy with a minimal social safety net, damages our health as well as our families. These are just suggestions. What we know for sure is that although the American way of life may be, as Ari Fleischer famously proclaimed back in 2001, "a blessed one," there's something about that way of life that is seriously bad for our health

Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 PM

look at these differences in rates of sickness... and this is compared to the british system most like ours.... these rates would be even more pronounced compared to sweden and norway canada and japan and france...

with this info... americans should be scared..!!!

The investigators analyzed representative samples of people ages 55 to 64 using data from two surveys designed to have directly comparable measures of health, income, and education. Data on more than 4,300 Americans came from the 2002 U.S. Health and Retirement Survey, and data on more than 3,600 English were obtained from the 2002 English Longitudinal Study of Aging.

Overall, rates of self-reported disease were consistently and significantly higher among Americans than the English (P<.01 for all):

Diabetes: Americans: 12.5%, English: 6.1%
Hypertension: Americans: 42.4%, English: 33.8%
All heart disease: Americans: 15.1%, English: 9.6%
Myocardial infarction: Americans: 5.5%, English: 4%
Stroke: Americans: 3.8%, English: 2.3%
Lung disease: Americans: 8.1%, English: 6.3%
Cancer: Americans: 9.5%, English 5.5%

Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 PM

942 posts, read 2,584,835 times
This Could Be All Due To Bad Politics< High Taxes And Low Wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina