Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

Blowing Rock, HIghlands and some areas of Hendersonville at higher elevations come to mind. The first two if you're not price-sensitive as they are not inexpensive areas -- but very beautiful.

HIghlands has rather harsh winters, though, due to its elevation. It's more a seasonal place for summer folks wanting to escape the heat and humidity of the lowlands.

Lower down the mountains from Highlands, in Georgia or Franklin NC, you might find what you're looking for. Franklin has a river and lakes.. it's not too, too far from Asheville.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
OP needs to offer more want/need/must have/could have parameters, imo...
-Is this going to be full time house, and if full time is the possibility of being snowed in a few days per winter acceptable?
-New or existing house? (There are literally hundreds of higher priced quality existing upscale homes in western NC for sale, and I would bet there are several dozen with the acreage and stream/pond deal).
-Golf community, or proximity to good golf club?
-I assume OP is not going be commuting to a local job...
-Very good medical is in Asheville, OK medical, (good doctors, but maybe not the best hospital), is found in many of the smaller towns of western NC.
-Mtn view, as in living at a higher elevation, with views, or living at lower elevations looking up at the mtns?
-Year round view vs 'winter view', when all the deciduous trees are bare?
-Large(er) cities include Greenville/S'burg, and larger include ATL and Charlotte, from western NC.
Atlanta is 2-3 hrs, Charlotte the same, depending on start location in 'western NC'.
-Cooler summer temps in summer, (equals 3500-3800 ft minimum), vs less elevation and lots of A/C for much of the summer?
-Towns in western NC, besides the Asheville/Hendersonville and close in surrounding towns and areas, range from 1 street towns to a few that are thriving and have most of the accoutrements that many will need, most of the time. If in one of 'those towns', Asheville is only 30-40 mins away for other stuff/more selection, but so is the Net.

I can't make my handy dandy radius map work right now, to C&P in this post, but I rec'd using any free online map site with radius available to find a 30 or 50 mile radius from say, "Asheville" or where ever.

-Most of us that have transplanted here did months of looking, several trips with lots of driving around/looking, etc.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 08-12-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM

503 posts, read 927,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Blowing Rock, HIghlands and some areas of Hendersonville at higher elevations come to mind. The first two if you're not price-sensitive as they are not inexpensive areas -- but very beautiful.
The first two are the two most expensive areas in WNC (I think).

Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Water near Blowing Rock??? Price Lake probably isn't what the OP has in mind.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Lake Toxaway can hold its own on the megabucks scale too.

Maybe the OP would be interested in one of The Cliffs communities. Cliffs Valley down Rt. 25 would be comfy.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
The first two are the two most expensive areas in WNC (I think).
Yep, they are, but OP said he/she was not price sensitive...so...

Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 AM

88 posts, read 83,173 times
If you wish to be close to Asheville, you may wish to consider Fairview.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 26,940 times
Back. Awesome feedback. I am researching starting with Blowing Rock and it is an excellent suggestion. I think this, Banner Elk, Linville are all very good choices for me to start. Given that, where are similar spots around Asheville?

I have never heard of Cashiers, NC but someone pointed me there. Arden? I am now convinced I will be looking at a 2-10 acre lot to build on later... so I need to get out and see these places first hand. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina