Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM

16 posts, read 26,927 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a lot (2-10+ acres) with both great mountain views and some sort of water (lake/stream/river) in an areas where fairly high end homes are being built...any areas come to mind if I am not too price sensitive? I realize these aren't going to be bargains any more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
'Western NC' is a large geographical area, comprised of several counties.

Do you mean 'Asheville' and surrounds, or additional areas of western NC?

I can think of a few non-Asheville areas off the top of my head.
The A'ville mavens will know Asheville and close in surrounds, too.
GL, mD

Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
Most great mountain views come from the top of a mountain. Water tends to be at the bottom. It's VERY hard to get both. If you do get both, it's going to come at a premium. EVERYONE wants this. Contact a good realtor in the area where you are looking. They will know what communities in your area offer what you are looking for.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
'Western NC' is a large geographical area, comprised of several counties.

Do you mean 'Asheville' and surrounds, or additional areas of western NC?

I can think of a few non-Asheville areas off the top of my head.
The A'ville mavens will know Asheville and close in surrounds, too.
GL, mD
I guess I'd want a decent sized city within an hour...decent meaning excellent medical care and sporting/ cultural events does that mean Asheville are only? I dont know the cities well.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Most great mountain views come from the top of a mountain. Water tends to be at the bottom. It's VERY hard to get both. If you do get both, it's going to come at a premium. EVERYONE wants this. Contact a good realtor in the area where you are looking. They will know what communities in your area offer what you are looking for.

I know it comes as a premium... I am trying to get a general lead before I start down the realtor path. My experience is that while many know the details of their area, few are big picture at the scale of a state or more....I haven't really narrowed the search that much

Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
I know it comes as a premium... I am trying to get a general lead before I start down the realtor path. My experience is that while many know the details of their area, few are big picture at the scale of a state or more....I haven't really narrowed the search that much

Your question is very broad, almost impossible to intelligently reply about the big picture on a statewide scale. Unfortunately, we cannot give you responses until you narrow down your search and give more details. Budget? for starters. You are asking about Western NC, a vast area. You want to be within an hour of a decent-size city within a hour.

May I suggest that you start with a decent-sized city with large city amenities (decent size for one person may not be decent size for another). Very subjective. After you determine what is a decent size city for you, draw a 50 mile radius around that city and learn the topography on Google Earth or similar.

Come back when you've narrowed down your choices and you can give a more specific shopping list -- if they lead you to Western NC. (In the meantime, for example also look at Chattanooga TN, or Fort Collins CO).

This site may help you determine areas: www.carolinaliving.com

Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Your question is very broad, almost impossible to intelligently reply about the big picture on a statewide scale. Unfortunately, we cannot give you responses until you (SNIP)www.carolinaliving.com
That was kind of the point of my question--- I am trying to narrow it down but haven't yet found the resources to do so. I appreciated the link, it was helpful...The resources to get help once you have narrowed things down are great....bigger picture help is harder to come by!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
That was kind of the point of my question--- I am trying to narrow it down but haven't yet found the resources to do so. I appreciated the link, it was helpful...The resources to get help once you have narrowed things down are great....bigger picture help is harder to come by!

Take a 50 mile radius from the center of Asheville for example (the largest city in WNC), check the topography with Google Earth. We still need to know your budget and and which city you want to be an hour from. You may also want to check on areas within an hour or less from Charlotte. e.g. King's Mountain NC. Inman SC, Campobello SC.

With the large amount of inventory here, beautiful homes on acreage from $600K up might be easier for you to find. Take a few weeks and visit various areas in person; the only way to get a feel for an area.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,374 times
If you don/t mind being in a a gated community , check out http://www.thecovesnc.com/....1. 5 hours to Charlotte(better and more extensive medical care than Asheville as per my NYU oncologist) and an hour and 15 min. to Asheville.Many lots with gorgeous mountain views and the Johns River(I believe that's the name) runs through it for about 5 miles.It's also only about 1/2 an hour or less to Blowing rock and a few minutes more to Boone.My wife and I visited about a dozen communities in western n.c. this past May and this was our favorite...Good luck!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
How can anyone answer your question but you? You only know your needs, likes, dislikes, etc.

But if you want acreage then you might look in the foothills where you can see the mountains and have the view but have 2-10 USABLE acres. And water features would be more likely. Look at the Blue Ridge but not be in them. that kind of thing.

Now if it is elevation you want or you are looking for that layered view, then you are looking for mountain tops. But the water is usually streams and creeks to rivers which are down below.

Or if you have enough money you can buy out a remaining farm or development which is probably on usable land. although the development maybe not so much.

So it is back to what do you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina