Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 AM

13 posts, read 22,215 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm going to be in Franklin for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving and will be using the time to scout out potential places to live. I plan on putting my house on the market after the 1st of the year and moving up there as soon as it sells. I'm fairly certain I want to live in Asheville but would like to explore other towns between there and Franklin. My sister is building a home in Franklin so I'd like to stay within a 90 minute drive from there. I'm looking for quaint, walkable, dog friendly, and preferably with housing available that is either downtown or in a planned community with restaurants, shopping, etc... I work from home so employment is not a factor. Living a more active, outdoor lifestyle with more walking, less driving is what I'm really after.

So, if you would be so kind as to recommend places I should check out between Franklin & Asheville, I would be ever so grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 02:27 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
Franklin is tough to beat for the outdoor lifestyle, it's in the middle of everything outdoorsy. That said, going north on the way to Asheville there's Dillsboro (small but quaint) Sylva (ditto) Cullowhee (Western Carolina University) Waynesville (very nice and walkable) Maggie Valley (tourist area in a long, slim valley, not the best for walking and you'll be grocery shopping in Waynesville) and Canton (paper mill town).

I live in Franklin so my opinion would be biased, but there's the list of towns between Franklin and Asheville. If going oblique is OK with you, from Franklin go east on 64 to Highlands, (small, walkable, pretty and snobby) Cashiers (snow birds love the altitude and the golf) and Lake Toxaway (ditto) up through Rosman to Brevard.

Happy shopping!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:09 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Franklin is tough to beat for the outdoor lifestyle, it's in the middle of everything outdoorsy. That said, going north on the way to Asheville there's Dillsboro (small but quaint) Sylva (ditto) Cullowhee (Western Carolina University) Waynesville (very nice and walkable) Maggie Valley (tourist area in a long, slim valley, not the best for walking and you'll be grocery shopping in Waynesville) and Canton (paper mill town).

I live in Franklin so my opinion would be biased, but there's the list of towns between Franklin and Asheville. If going oblique is OK with you, from Franklin go east on 64 to Highlands, (small, walkable, pretty and snobby) Cashiers (snow birds love the altitude and the golf) and Lake Toxaway (ditto) up through Rosman to Brevard.

Happy shopping!
You missed Clyde in that list, between Waynesville and Canton. Pretty small though. I wouldn't count Cullowhee in the list really as it's so far off the path. Leaving Asheville out of the list, there are none that have any kind of housing directly in the downtown area. At best you'd be on the fringe of downtown and have to walk into it. All of these would have some rather steep hills to walk depending on which direction you picked. None would have a grocery store within reasonable (In my opinion) walking distance of downtown. So, if you want those things you're going to be stuck with Asheville.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
You missed Clyde in that list, between Waynesville and Canton.
Yes, I did! My sincerest apologies to the good people of Clyde.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:47 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
What about Bryson City?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM

13 posts, read 22,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post

Happy shopping!
Thank you for all of the suggestions! We'll have fun exploring all of those places.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Franklin - 70 miles to Asheville or 100+ to Atlanta outskirts.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 PM

186 posts, read 331,185 times
Brevard is nice. Good little downtown district, a small college town. Far enough off the interstate but not too far...

Old 09-20-2014, 06:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound4beauty View Post
Hi everyone! I'm going to be in Franklin for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving and will be using the time to scout out potential places to live. I plan on putting my house on the market after the 1st of the year and moving up there as soon as it sells. I'm fairly certain I want to live in Asheville but would like to explore other towns between there and Franklin. My sister is building a home in Franklin so I'd like to stay within a 90 minute drive from there. I'm looking for quaint, walkable, dog friendly, and preferably with housing available that is either downtown or in a planned community with restaurants, shopping, etc... I work from home so employment is not a factor. Living a more active, outdoor lifestyle with more walking, less driving is what I'm really after.

So, if you would be so kind as to recommend places I should check out between Franklin & Asheville, I would be ever so grateful

Waynesville would be perfect for you, if you visit and like the surroundings there. An easy 26 miles to Asheville to the east, and another easy 45 or so to Franklin to the west. Lovely friendly town, well managed, some beautiful properties in all price ranges; nice shopping and some of the most beautiful mountain views west of Asheville. www.Realtor.com is your friend.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 15,814 times
I am very interested in Franklin. I am looking to retire to that area in about two years. What can you tell me about it? I am looking to buy about a 1200 sq. ft. house with 1 to 4 acres and would love a pond for my dogs. I am a single girl, not looking to get married. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina