Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times

Advertisements

My daughter is renting a house similar to what you've described in the Otto area (unincorporated county land) about 5 miles to the south of Franklin. There are several homes like hers in the area, she's in a manufactured home, 1450 sq. ft., 3/2 on 5 acres with a horse barn and 1 1/2 acres pond that has some nice bass in it. The house is on the market for $185K. She was considering buying it (so was I) but sees a move in her near future. The houses like this run from about $140K to $220K depending on the property. A nice section retirees like is known as Coweeta Lake that has a small lake and flowing streams that the dogs love.
Here's an example ... 466 Coweeta Lake Cir, Otto, NC 28763 - Zillow

You'll find other properties like this on the north side of Franklin in the area known as the Iotla valley (Google Burningtown Road, Franklin, NC). Gorgeous views in either part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 15,810 times
Thank you for the info!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Hi fellow C-D members! Beautiful morning here in the mountains. The snow has melted, but the sky is blue and the air is crisp.

Rather than start a new thread, I'd like to ask if anyone can give me suggestions for traveling from Lake Lure to Franklin on Sunday or Monday. I am currently staying in Lake Lure and, although it's so beautiful and peaceful here, it is time to continue my journey.

Which route is the best to get from here to there? I've checked all the online maps and my GPS, and there are only 2 shown. One is to continue on 64/74 to I-26 and head north for a while and then cross the mountains on 23. The other is a bit confusing to me. Google maps shows I head south for a while on 25 and then north (?) to Flat Rock, which I guess is the scenic route. I'm not concerned about getting lost, since I always find my way back to civilization, but I don't want to get stuck or drive off a cliff! (cries the wimpy flatlander)

I remember last year when I was in Franklin and trembled all the way to/from Sylva, but I'm getting a little better at driving on these roads. Still, I want to take the safest route with the best driving conditions, even if it means going a little out of my way. If anyone has traveled these roads, especially in the past few days, I'd appreciate your feedback & advice.

Also, the temperature will be rising and Monday's forecast is for rain & 50-60 degrees, so the ice should all be melted by then. I don't know if I should pay for an extra night where I'm currently staying. I'd rather checkout as scheduled on Sun morning, since I have cabin fever, although if you're stuck inside, a warm, cozy cabin in the mountains is the place to be.

I even made a small, deformed snowman on Wed night, but he melted quickly. Good thing, because the poor guy didn't have a nose. (all I could find were stones for eyes and a leaf for his mouth) My back was killing me, but reliving a moment of your childhood is worth the price.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
How about going north out of LL to I-40 west to 23/74 south, exit 27 off I-40?
I-40 should be cake by then, and 23/74, (The Smoky Mtn Expressway), down to Franklin is not exactly a nail biter.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/ck40l

Old 02-27-2015, 11:32 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I-40 should be cake by then, and 23/74, (The Smoky Mtn Expressway), down to Franklin is not exactly a nail biter.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/ck40l
Alt-74 is a narrow, winding, 2 lane road...not sure the OP would be comfortable on it.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
GL, mD

[URL]https://goo.gl/maps/ck40l[/URL]
Thanks. So many of the roads have 2 or more route numbers (state, US and local) so it's difficult to tell if they're the same or different directions. I was trying to avoid 23, but maybe it's not so bad. I spent the last week of March in Franklin last year and remember calling regarding a reservation for a cabin I saw in Hendersonville on VRBO. The owner warned me that the roads were slick and she didn't think I'd make it up the road, but maybe the weather was bad. In Franklin the roads were fine, but I was staying near 441. I suppose as long as the temperature is above 40, I won't need to worry about black ice. Where I'm currently staying (Riverbend) the road to the cabin is gravel and steep. Getting up is okay, but leaving is like going down a roller coaster. I guess you get used to it, but I would need to trade my Camry for a vehicle with more ground clearance.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Alt-74 is a narrow, winding, 2 lane road...not sure the OP would be comfortable on it.
Is that the road that passes through Highlands? If so, you're right! I don't know where the roads aren't winding and narrow. I took route 9 north one day and then someone told me to go south instead and take I-26 to Hendersonville or Asheville, which was better. I haven't done as much traveling as I planned because of the weather and also my car is making a racket. I just had it checked before I left FL, but anything can happen in 2 months. It's riding well and it's quiet when idling. It gets very loud at high speeds, so it might just be the tires.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:57 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Weather guessers site...looks warmer/milder but rain on Sun/Mon/Tuesday, at those lower elevations you will be traversing.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/way...orecast/334806

The route I suggested does require you to do a few more miles on Alt 74, but IIRC you have to do about 5 miles on it to get 'out' of LL, even going down 64...not pitching my suggested route; just another idea.

Downhill: put your car in low/lower gear, go slowly, don't hit the brake, but if you do the ABS should 'chatter' but slow you down. On gravel, downhill, slow as molasses is rec'd.

Maybe some dedicated winter snow tires for next season? Even in Front Wheel drive, a set of serious dedicated snow tires makes for much more reliable and secure feel driving, and a set should last several seasons at ~3 months per year use.

Mtn driving is cake, but it requires being/getting used to it, knowing your car, and less is more in terms of steering wheel/brake input.
GL, mD

I guess you wouldn't like this drive/climb to ~11,000+ feet?

Beartooth Pass Highway, MT into WY, June...

Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM

I grew up in MA and often traveled to NH, ME and VT to ski. Many years ago I'd drive to Smuggler's Notch and even to Canada for a long weekend. I've also traveled along US 1 in Calif, but that was then and this is now. I lived in Colorado for a short time in the 70s. I'm not saying an extra 30 or 40 years makes a person frail, but I've been living in Southwest Florida for 20 years, so I need some time to adjust (or I've really turned into a Namby Pamby.

Yes, maybe it's the car or the tires, not just the driver. However, one problem I frequently have is when I see other drivers behind me. I don't mind cruising along slowly, but I know they want to get around me and do my best to be courteous. However, sometimes there are no places to pull over for miles. I guess I just need to ignore them as long as I'm not driving too slowly and following the posted limit.

By the way, nice Vette!

Last edited by justNancy; 02-27-2015 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: shorten post

Old 03-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Just to follow up.. I drove from Lake Lure to Franklin this afternoon and the weather was very pleasant. I left Lake Lure at 1:30 and arrived at my destination before 4, stopping for gas along the way. The drive wasn't as scary as I expected, although the twists & turns through Gerton were challenging and fun at the same time.

Yes, I am trying very hard to stay on my side of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina