Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archi27 View Post
I am currently on Long Island, originally from upstate NY. I am considering relocating to NC because of the insane cost of living and congestion here. I am so used to the cold winters/fall though, so NC's climate is my only concern really. I am considering western states as well due to the mountains/weather but prefer to stay east coast if possible due to m family all being here.

Then the best suggestion we could give you would be to visit in the winter if you are concerned about the winter. There is a good website for weather right here from our local Asheville radio station. www.wlostv.com up to date daily. They have an "almanac" link right on there where you can study up on weather statistics by year. I would say 90% of the folks here from the northeast are here because of the beauty and peaceful atmosphere of daily living here, and ....... the weather. Jobs are not plentiful here, however, so if you are planning on retiring, take that into consideration. As you know, there is no perfect area for weather anywhere. You can also compare cost of living on sites like www.bankrate.com and others. Just Google "cost of living calculators, cost of living comparisons".

Last edited by QuilterChick; 10-01-2014 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typo at daily living, corrected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Archi27,
'Western NC' is big area and has some considerably varied topography and altitude contrasts.

Much like many sections of NE or even NY state, it is really altitude dependent, but slightly 'less cold' in much of the livable areas here in western NC.

Mt Washington is much cooler/cold on any given day vs Fairfield, CT, for example.

'Asheville' is much milder/warmer on any given day than it is at our Mtn home above Waynesville, mostly a function of altitude difference.

There are north facing homes near us that literally don't see sunlight from mid Oct through late March: colder than the houses down our mtn that are ~2,000 ft lower, and much colder than 'Asheville'.

My point is it is difficult to generalize on how a 'western NC Autumn/Winter' would be for you vs a LI or NE winter, LI being milder than many parts of 'NE', obviously.

One can be in downtown Asheville on a 'winter day' and it's 60 degrees for a few hours in the afternoon, while it may not get above 32 degs 'up here' at our elevation when fogged/clouded in, for example. Similar to sitting outside at a Glen Head coffee shop on a Jan day vs hunkered in a cabin in Lake Saranac, on the same day.

Otoh, western NC is ~700+ miles south of LI, on the planet and this latitude has some effect. Thus, many will post that winter here in 'western NC' is milder/shorter/less snow etc. than an upstate NY or NE winter, which it is for many, mostly due to altitude for the lower elevation population vs the few of us nuts at the much higher elevations.

Without you spending some time here in 'winter' and at differing altitude(s), it is very difficult for a blanket statement to assuage your concerns or even give you the 'right' response.

Back at the Employment Ranch, the posters whom have rec'd the western NC Job Hunt concerns are right on, imo, esp for a newly degreed architect.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 10-01-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina