Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,229,214 times

Advertisements

Ya wheee cool beans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:01 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,633,345 times
The weather guessers and new media love this stuff...
We have not had a snowless October since we waddled in here in 9-'11.

The ground is still 'warm', even up here at ~5,000 ft: it will be gone by Sunday eve or Monday, even on our north facing lil' road.

But, it probably will be pretty and a good excuse for a woodstove fire on Sabado noche!
BR, mD

Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,204,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

The ground is still 'warm', even up here at ~5,000 ft: it will be gone by Sunday eve or Monday, even on our north facing lil' road.

But, it probably will be pretty and a good excuse for a woodstove fire on Sabado noche!
BR, mD
Our weather guy here in Florida reported during his national weather segment that the Blue Ridge Mountains in the WNC/TN area would see about a foot of snow.

Do you ever get flooding from snow melt?

Old 10-30-2014, 06:44 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,618,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

BR, mD
md, when do you leave for Sarasota? I thought you'd be long gone by now!

Very fascinating re October snow at those elevations in the Apps - have you ever braved any winters there? if so, how much snow do you average yearly at your elevation/latitude?

Old 10-30-2014, 06:54 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,633,345 times
We did full time, the first 5 years here; got the 5 Year Award Pin.
I could/would do it again full time, but my CEO likes SW FL, and her father spends winters there.

We have had snow in September, always in Oct/early November, and in our second 'Spring' here, (2003), we had 6"+ of wet snow in mid May...it was raining down below on Laurel Ridge CC that day.

Winters here are not insufferable, especially 'down below' at our club or in town, and in the lower altitude Asheville area climes. I enjoy the 'change' to our new, 2nd winter house in SW FL for a few months; by mid March I am tired of it, and by mid April we are packing to come home.
Rez of NC, not FL...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 10-30-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 08:53 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,580,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Our weather guy here in Florida reported during his national weather segment that the Blue Ridge Mountains in the WNC/TN area would see about a foot of snow.

Do you ever get flooding from snow melt?
No.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,478,724 times
Wooooo snow! We were thinking of walking around tomorrow night with the little gal (6m old) just to see others dressed up but the weather looks to be gross so there goes that idea. If it brings some flurries I'll forgive it though.

I have plenty of pictures of fall leaves and snow over the years. In fact I'd usually skip my first class of the semester at unca sometime in oct when it snowed. We would go up to the parkway and play.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,422,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Wooooo snow! We were thinking of walking around tomorrow night with the little gal (6m old) just to see others dressed up but the weather looks to be gross so there goes that idea. If it brings some flurries I'll forgive it though.

I have plenty of pictures of fall leaves and snow over the years. In fact I'd usually skip my first class of the semester at unca sometime in oct when it snowed. We would go up to the parkway and play.
Didn't know you had a BABY!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,514,773 times
An early dusting with the fall leaves is beautiful! We are at 3200 and it won't stick in fact
rarely lasts more than a few days even in winter. Last year had several days of good snow and pulled out our cross country skies it was great fun. Wish we had more snow, winter in the mountains is breathtaking when covered in snow. The Vermont Castings stove is already cranked up in the nippy mornings, soon it will be heating us 24/7!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 24,248 times
I'm so excited for the snow. We've just moved to Maggie Valley from near Asheville. This will be our first winter in our new place. It will be interesting to see what, if any, problems are caused from the wet, heavy snow on the still leaf-covered trees. Hopefully we won't lose power but if we do, it won't be the first time I've gone through a winter weather event without power. We'll be fine, I'm sure. Bring on the snow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina