Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 18,287 times

Advertisements

A couple people who went there for vacation told me it was like New England in the South. Is anyone here from North Carolina and able to back this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
No doubt those people are dead wrong. Boone is much better than New England.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Of course it's not. It's like Boone.

We enjoy it a lot. I suppose it might be somewhat similar to the area around Mt Washington in NH. The mountains in the Blue Ridge are by and large at a higher elevation than most New England mountains, but less snow. It's very much the South, though, and not like New England in flavor at all. Beautiful fall foliage, though.

Of these 42 mountain peaks over 4500ft, 4 are in New England and the rest are all in the south, with most of them in North Carolina (18) and the rest in TN, VA, WV, and GA. Eastern U.S. County High Points over 4500 feet - Peakbagger.com

Old 01-02-2015, 10:46 AM

13 posts, read 18,287 times
How is it climate wise?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomHawk View Post
How is it climate wise?
Without doing weather research, my sense is that it is slightly analogous to 'New England', mostly due to the general and specific altitude of Boone and 'Boone area'.

It will have cooler temp summers and some real winter compared to many lower elevation areas of NC, VA, et al.

Humidity is present in most of summer months, but the decently less warm temps offer a similar to higher elevation New England climate.

We live at 5,000 ft much of the year, above Waynesville, NC and we lived in NY outside the City and did much travel, both biz & pleasure in New England. Our location is similar to upstate New Hampshire, with the winters being slightly less long/severe, on average, in my experience.

In any area of NC/ the 'south', it is all about elevation in terms of cooler/less warm temps.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

'Average' high/low/precip, Boone:
Climate Boone - North Carolina and Weather averages Boone

Old 01-02-2015, 12:49 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Boone's elevation is roughly 3,333, although it obviously varies throughout the area.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomHawk View Post
A couple people who went there for vacation told me it was like New England in the South. Is anyone here from North Carolina and able to back this up?
I am a native of New England -- Boone is nothing like New England. That is laughable. Wild horses couldn't drag me back up there, except of course if I hit the lottery and could have a summer home on Nantucket, and a home here at 4,000 ft. elevation with a long range view of layer after layer of mountains.

Weather? It's brutal up there, dreary skies most of the winter, bitter biting cold and winds, snow up the wazooo most of the winter. You've heard of "Seasonal Affective Disorder" ? yah, up there 4 sure.

Down here, we have four seasons, but that fourth one is 95% acceptable and here where we are at 2500', the ground doesn't freeze. My pansies are still going strong. Try that in Portsmouth NH or Maine. Ut uh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina