Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 8,155 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Richmond, VA. Me, partner, one 2 year old, cat, fish. Wanting to move somewhere friendlier with access to local produce and meats like grass fed beef, goat's milk, pastured chickens, etc. I'm in school for Psychology and will be pursuing a M.A. in Counseling once I finish up my Bachelor's this spring. My partner has lived in Boone and traveled to Asheville frequently. We are considering moving to Boone while I'm in school, then to Asheville. I'm concerned that there are not many jobs in my field in that town. We would have to stay in Boone because there are very limited options for graduate school for Psychology in Western North Carolina. That worries me that it may be indicative of the general lack of opportunity for growth in that field.

We have also been considering just going out to Colorado, I have a lot of family in AZ and my partner has friends in CO. He loves the area and has always talked about going out there. I have a weird reservation about that. The one thing I really love about Richmond is the historic value. The buildings, houses, parks, streets, everything has so many little quirks. I love walking right outside my door and just being able to find so much history. When we were looking up homes around Colorado Springs I noticed they seemed like factory model homes. I can't explain why but it upset me when he told me it's not like the east coast, we won't find homes like ours. I say this stuff about Colorado just to give an example of what I'm looking for in a town. Mainly walkability and connected neighborhoods. Where I'm at, we're close to our neighbors physically, but people are generally not as friendly as other places we've been. Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:22 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Asheville seems to have more than its share of folks in the counseling field. You might look at various agencies and see what the needs are in that situation. I think setting up a private practice could be iffy. Flagstaff Az is an interesting and beautiful area and reminds me of Asheville but again a small place with lots of younger people looking for work. I can't speak to Colorado except spectacular scenery. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 PM

Thank you! Looking into Portland, Oregon now...

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 AM

497 posts, read 969,099 times
Whatever counseling program you are in, be sure that you can end up getting licensed by the state that you will live in. Being licensed as a Professional Counselor or whatever similar title based on your MA is a mandatory job requirement for most agencies in order to build private insurance, Medicare or Medicaid. Licensing requirements vary greatly from state to state.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Yes, I'm considering that as well. I plan to go to school in the state I will be licensed in.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
CO springs doesn't sound like a place you really want anyways. It's heavily religious and conservative with several huge fundamental organizations based there. Total opposite of what asheville is. Look at Denver suburbs or Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina