Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:09 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,759 times

Advertisements

I like Waynesville over Franklin too. We landed in Sylva, next to Waynesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM

55 posts, read 62,660 times
Thanks PL. Looking at realtor.com, there are so many houses we like in Franklin with big plots of land. We would get more for the money in Franklin.

We found a beautiful place, Bear Reserve, near Tuscaleegee(sp.). However, it looks like the HOA fees are about $800 a month. Can that be right? Also, my parents tell me that the main road may not be accessible during parts of the winter.

Our goals are a newer three bedroom, open plan, at least half an acre, with hopefully some view - fully accessible since this will be our only home. I thought we wanted 3000 to 4000 elevation until I saw how long it took me to get up there. I want to stay below $300k.

Waynesville has really captured our hearts, but really anywhere in the vicinity is great.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:37 AM

55 posts, read 64,930 times
Hahaha AABear me too!!

Old 07-06-2015, 01:22 PM

389 posts, read 662,996 times
We hope to be future seasonal residents of Waynesville with retirement coming up in a few years, but for now we visit in October to enjoy the fall colors and cooler weather. The house we rent -- and it's beautiful -- is off Hemphill, just west of 276, in a nice development called Mountain Lake Forest. There were a few homes for sale there when we visited last fall, and most seemed to in the $175,000-$250,000 price range. The lot where we stay is .8 acres, which is about average for the development. The only negative is that it's about 20 minutes from there into Waynesville (I don't mind the drive, but Mrs. Papillons2 does). If Maggie Valley, which is a bit closer, ever gets a few more shopping options, it might change her assessment. We do like that it's close to Lake Junaluska, where we walk most mornings.

We've also looked at Utah Mountain, on the other side of 276, and seen some nice homes in the $250K range -- one of which we seriously would've considered "pulling the trigger" on had we been ready to buy.

We do own 1.6 acres purchased 15 years ago in Pinnacle Ridge, which is just off Old Balsam Road (an extension of Main Street) southwest of town. Shopping is only five minutes away and downtown Waynesville less than 10 minutes, but we're no longer crazy about the hassle of building -- haven't ruled it out, but we might sell the property and use it to help fund the purchase of an existing home. That part of the area also is worth looking at should you decide to expand your search.

Hope all this rambling helps, and good luck as it sounds as if we have a few things in common! We like Franklin, too, but there's just something special about Waynesville for us.

Last edited by Papillons2; 07-06-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 AM

Thanks! We do have lots in common. I grew up visiting my grandparents in Mountain Home near Hendersonville every summer. Boy do I wish I had bought that property from my parents years ago. We did visit some properties off Old Balsam Road, but I think there were some environmental issues near the old orchard. Balsam is a pretty area.

I looked a little at Utah Mtn a couple of weeks ago, but I need to research it more. I really like the area by the Laurel Ridge golf course because it seems convenient. The problem is there are too many great areas!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
...I looked a little at Utah Mtn a couple of weeks ago, but I need to research it more. I really like the area by the Laurel Ridge golf course because it seems convenient. The problem is there are too many great areas!
We owned a ~5 acre hunk, way up Utah Mtn, off Ironwood Rd, '99 to early 2001, but it had some situs that we came to not love, for a building site. We have a couple sets of good friends that live on UT mtn, and they like it. The only slight downside is the drive in past the old stuff, but for some it is not a visual problem. Waynesville is a solid 20-25 mins, depending on how high up UT Mtn one is. It is plowed in winter, but like most area mtn roads, there are sections that don't see sun often until later in winter season.

We live 'above' Laurel Ridge CC near the top ridge of Eagles Nest Mtn, and look down on the area, the course and club, and we have been members since late '02. We know the area, most of the houses and area rez very well.
If you have any questions on houses or how things are in LRCC area, post or DM me. I am not in the RE biz, but have good knowledge of area.
GL, mD

Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 PM

Thank you mD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina