Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 13,067 times

Advertisements

Hi! Ok so I am originally from East Tennessee and graduated from UT. Moved to Memphis for a job and have been in Memphis for a year and a half...originally worked in real estate now advertising and some real estate on the side. I'm super driven and have managed to easily find good paying jobs in west Tennessee however I hate it here. Have met a great community of friends, but I desperately miss living close to the mountains, and miss the out door culture. I love being outdoors and Memphis is just not conducive to it. Memphis has a great deal of crime and I'm sick of spending my whole life in my car. I've been researching and Asheville seems perfect. I have visit quite a bit and I've always loved it. It's only and hour and a half from my family as well so I'd love to be able to see my family more often. The liberal culture also intrigues me a lot. Essentially I'd love to live somewhere I could bike and walk my dog and not be afraid. And pretty country.

But I've heard the job market is awful. I'm shooting for moving around the first of the year, but is getting a decent paying job that difficult? I'm single and 24 without any debt and not a great deal of living expenses, I'm educated and driven so am I really being naive in thinking I could find a job?

I live in a really trendy part of Memphis and pay around $950 a month in rent alone and would love to find something similar (if I get a job of course) is that possible?

Ahhh im just so ready to leave this horrible city and Asheville seems like the perfect place! I'm just so worried about findin a job, which of course I won't move unless I do find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:14 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Really, no one can tell you whether you can find a job in Asheville, You just need to start looking. Yes, Asheville is a tough job market, but that doesn't mean you can't find a job there. I certainly wouldn't advise you to move without finding a job first.

1 br rentals in the city range from $850 to $1,350. It sounds like you'd have to pay more in A'ville to duplicate what you have in Memphis. The vacancy rate is very low in A'ville.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:51 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
I've lived in Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga - I much, MUCH prefer east TN - I say at your age, with your circumstances, go for it - I'd also suggest looking into Chattanooga - amazing, walkable downtown area - (comparing to Asheville) lower cost of living, somewhat milder, and just as scenic

Old 11-01-2015, 10:22 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I've lived in Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga - I much, MUCH prefer east TN - I say at your age, with your circumstances, go for it - I'd also suggest looking into Chattanooga - amazing, walkable downtown area - (comparing to Asheville) lower cost of living, somewhat milder, and just as scenic
Good advice. Some people can make a go of it no matter where they land. The OP sounds like that sort of person. There are opportunities everywhere, even in Asheville, but it takes a certain kind of person to make it happen. For an average person who needs a "job" to get by and isn't able to spot opportunities and take advantage of them, Asheville and other areas wouldn't work out. I'm not saying this as a put down. Just being real.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utkgrad126 View Post
Hi! Ok so I am originally from East Tennessee and graduated from UT. Moved to Memphis for a job and have been in Memphis for a year and a half...originally worked in real estate now advertising and some real estate on the side. I'm super driven and have managed to easily find good paying jobs in west Tennessee however I hate it here.

But I've heard the job market is awful.

I live in a really trendy part of Memphis and pay around $950 a month in rent alone and would love to find something similar (if I get a job of course) is that possible?
Interestingly enough I have a cousin who went from Asheville to Knoxville. She's in real estate and likes Knoxville fwiw.

How do you feel about doing freelance work?

I have to work two jobs to make ends meet here and one of them is in the design/advertising sector (freelancing). If I wanted something full-time I'd probably have to move to Charlotte. I've since made peace with the occasional 60+ hour weeks and the 3-4 hours of sleep a night. But then again I've been trying to pay off my student loans so...

Real estate market is pretty good around here and I'd imagine there's a fair bit of competition, but how much I'm unsure about.

If you're talking about taking any old job to live here expect to be making under/around $10 an hour. It's a bit of an issue when you're paying $800 and up just for rent alone.

I've noticed a of people end up giving up on Asheville and end up in the Greenville metro due to more/better paying jobs. Another designer I knew got fed up with not being able to get enough work and moved to Milwaukee where he could "have a good job and own his own home" as he said.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:31 AM

78 posts, read 101,737 times
Some good, realistic responses here. I think not having any debt (or kids) already puts you on first base, so if your heart is set on Asheville—as it seems to be—why not give it a shot? You're 24, so now's the time to take calculated risks. And, having your family close by may blunt some of the obstacles of living in Asheville. One thing to keep in mind is that even if you find a decent white collar job there's probably not going to be a lot growth opportunity, since most companies are really small. A few additional, random thoughts:
- Consider putting your family's address in Eastern TN on your resume. From the sound of it employers here get flooded with resumes from far away, so I feel like potential employers would be more inclined to take you seriously if they think you're only a short drive away.
- $950 for a one-bedroom apartment may be doable, but probably only in South or East Asheville, which are less pedestrian and bike friendly (and thus less popular). I think it'll be hard to find a house for that price, but if you have a roommate you could find a solid place in North or West Asheville. I will say I think East Asheville is underrated, and more young people (and restaurants and bars) seem to be moving there. Check out Haw Creek and Oakley. South Asheville is sprawl and big box stores—probably not the Asheville of your imagination. (To be fair, the view from the Target parking lot is pretty breathtaking.)

Old 11-03-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheBoludo View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that even if you find a decent white collar job there's probably not going to be a lot growth opportunity, since most companies are really small.
I'm not sure if this is an Asheville thing or a just a south-eastern thing in general.

Really the people who seem to be doing the best in Asheville (& aren't retired folks) are the people who have their own thing going. I know of a few jewelry designers who are clearing six-figures, a leather worker who started a million dollar business from scratch, and an older established painter who sold out her show where many of the pictures were going for 60k each. Of course like anything else there are many more who aren't so lucky.

Anyway, people on CD seem far to cautious to me. Really all you need at 24 is the will to try and an exit strategy should things not work out (as others have become trapped here & you'll see their bitter posts on here from time to time).

Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I'm not sure if this is an Asheville thing or a just a south-eastern thing in general.

Really the people who seem to be doing the best in Asheville (& aren't retired folks) are the people who have their own thing going. I know of a few jewelry designers who are clearing six-figures, a leather worker who started a million dollar business from scratch, and an older established painter who sold out her show where many of the pictures were going for 60k each. Of course like anything else there are many more who aren't so lucky.

Anyway, people on CD seem far to cautious to me. Really all you need at 24 is the will to try and an exit strategy should things not work out (as others have become trapped here & you'll see their bitter posts on here from time to time).
I'm surprised to see you post this considering what you posted before:

I moved from Portland to Asheville. Outside of the weather and family it was a mistake.

Basically the negative things that were brought up about Asheville hold true.

1 & 2. While there aren't many homeless there are a lot of "dirty hippy" types and drifters so depending on what area you're in it can certainly feel the same. The hipsters here tend to be more like fan boys of Portland. I've had people try to buy my Portland shirts off of me just being around downtown. Other hipster types are of the eco type. Think drum circles and white people with dreds. Usually more hypocritical than anything else.

3. Not as much PC'ness, but in a lot of places you have people making ignorance statements or all sorts. Racism is alive and well here even though Asheville is one of the more liberal areas. Then you have the southerner thing where they try to make underhanded remarks about northerners/transplants. Most of it you can just shrug off, but it just keeps coming and becomes annoying after a while. Other than the above types there is a strong conservative vein running through town. Bring back Bush shirts. Tea Party stuff. People of a certain religion not allowing their kids to be friends with people of the "wrong" religion. Gives it a weird dynamic.

5. Lots of transplants here. Mostly from Florida, the Midwest, or NE. Usually normal types. A lot of retired folks. Three inches of snow will shut the area down. We had 8" this year and the snow plows were waiting until it was nice out to plow. Needless to say I didn't make it to work that day.

One thing you will miss is quality food. I can count the decent places on one hand. Locals will say different. For a while I tried them all, but without fail the recommendations were lousy. Although I'm not into the southern style fried stuff so in that area I'm possibly missing out.

Oh and if you need to work a 9 to 5 you'll find the pay is typically very low. Like late 1990's pay to start. A job I thought about taking a while back just had everyone take a $3/hr pay cut. Never dealt with that sort of thing anywhere else. Which makes it difficult as far as cost of living goes. It's not really expensive, but you're still talking major city prices in a smaller metro.

All and all I just think you get overcharged for what you get out of Asheville. It's a tad small for my tastes and too much time is spent in traffic.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utkgrad126 View Post
Hi! Ok so I am originally from East Tennessee and graduated from UT. Moved to Memphis for a job and have been in Memphis for a year and a half...originally worked in real estate now advertising and some real estate on the side. I'm super driven and have managed to easily find good paying jobs in west Tennessee however I hate it here. Have met a great community of friends, but I desperately miss living close to the mountains, and miss the out door culture. I love being outdoors and Memphis is just not conducive to it. Memphis has a great deal of crime and I'm sick of spending my whole life in my car. I've been researching and Asheville seems perfect. I have visit quite a bit and I've always loved it. It's only and hour and a half from my family as well so I'd love to be able to see my family more often. The liberal culture also intrigues me a lot. Essentially I'd love to live somewhere I could bike and walk my dog and not be afraid. And pretty country.

But I've heard the job market is awful. I'm shooting for moving around the first of the year, but is getting a decent paying job that difficult? I'm single and 24 without any debt and not a great deal of living expenses, I'm educated and driven so am I really being naive in thinking I could find a job?

Ahhh im just so ready to leave this horrible city and Asheville seems like the perfect place! I'm just so worried about findin a job, which of course I won't move unless I do find one.
I am probably at odds with most posters here but this is a question for you. Believe me I understand the call of home and the desire to be near family.

Question: How important is your career to you? Or making it in the world? Or looking down the road would you regret settling for low skill jobs and wages so you could be in a nice area near home? Can you find a better job, more career and income oriented, in a city other than Memphis and can that build to the life you want in the future?

You are young and some say it is better to absorb a mistake/start over when you are young than when you are older. That may be true but you are also entering the years of financial growth and compounding your assets. and often when you get off the career ladder you start again at a much lower rung with competition that is younger, newer, and just as driven as you are. But you have lost time where you could have been moving up the ladder.

My advice is to prioritize your wants, needs, and goals. Then do what you do. Life is good no matter what you choose. Of course if you get a career position in Asheville that pays you what you expect to be paid that is the best case all the way around. who knows, you may get one if you try. but many have tried and are waiting tables.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 11-03-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm surprised to see you post this considering what you posted before.
Listing of the pro/cons of an area really doesn't have anything to do with someone being overly cautious. If you've been here for any length of time you'll find that it's practically the opposite of it.

Besides the OP has been here "many times" already so they should already most of the pros/cons that are evident from spending time here.

So everything I've said before holds true as well as many other posters are often posting (in many forums, not just NC) about "never moving without a job".

It's a matter of degree. Anything that goes on here no matter how perfectly objective you try to make it is going to have a slight bias. I think you're just to accustomed to dealing with boosters and homers that you don't know what to think when someone isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina