Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:28 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefinder View Post
Sounds like a disgusting place and a total deal breaker...
I think Asheville is a wonderful place.

Quote:
Which areas from North Carolina would you recommend? (The ones with not so harsh winters).
Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 PM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Depends on what you want to call indecent, so I'll put it like this...

I left Asheville almost 20 years ago and even then I knew family people who refused to take their kids downtown because of what they might see. With a city that open and tolerant it is no surprise at all to see gay couples making out, or people smoking pot on the street corners..
Usually I don't take the time to comment on such absurd comments, but I can't let this one go by. You make these allegations when you haven't been here/lived here, whichever, in 20 years. I live in the city limits, 3 miles from downtown. We go downtown weekly and are yet to see any of the behavior you describe, after 3 years. If you intend to make such outrageous claims, then you should at least have some first hand recent experience, not based on a 1996 claim. It is very common to see families with children of all ages downtown.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
Usually I don't take the time to comment on such absurd comments, but I can't let this one go by. You make these allegations when you haven't been here/lived here, whichever, in 20 years. I live in the city limits, 3 miles from downtown. We go downtown weekly and are yet to see any of the behavior you describe, after 3 years. If you intend to make such outrageous claims, then you should at least have some first hand recent experience, not based on a 1996 claim. It is very common to see families with children of all ages downtown.
Lol I never said it wasn't. Doesn't change what I said about SOME families though, does it?

And how do you miss it? I may not live there anymore, but I do still visit from time to time. And I was downtown just last spring and saw exactly what I described.. a gay couple making out, and another couple smoking pot - in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon. Seen it 20 years ago too.

Don't act like it never happens.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:44 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Downtown Asheville is really hit or miss as to what you will see on any given day; especially in the warm weather. I wouldn't go for a walk with my children anywhere near Pritchard Park, at any age. And topless parades or whatever they called them are indecent exposure -- no matter how you couch it. At only 3 yrs. here, you're still in the "honeymoon" phase, take off the rose colored glasses.
Just as we advised the original poster: Living in Greenville is close enough to know what's going on.

Didn't you get the bumper sticker: "Keep Asheville Weird". No place is perfect.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
I've seen plenty of people smoking pot in downtown A'ville...its actually pretty hard not to. And yes, I've seen lots of families with children. too. And hippies. And gays. And retirees. And lots of different people.

Apparently, there is a reason Upstate and I see pot downtown:

Asheville, NC, North Carolina | webehigh.org
http://www.marijuanatravels.com/cities/usa/asheville
http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinfrye/wake-n-bake#.rnw8xggyd

Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM

17 posts, read 13,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I would second the recommendation to consider the Greenville, SC area. Much more affordable and much better job market. The greater Greenville area is very family friendly and otherwise meets all of your criteria other than not being in WNC. Greenville is just a little over an hour's drive to Asheville, less to Arden. That would give you in relatively easy access to your relatives in Arden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We've already mentioned where; look south of the NC border, towards Greenville SC. Difference in temps will be about 8 degrees, year 'round. Job market is good, and cost of living is lower.
Quote:
If you're looking to avoid the cold I'd say Charlotte or Raleigh. Those are a long way from your relatives though.. Right here's your best bet though.

I've lived in Greenville ever since I left Asheville and can't brag on it enough..

Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:03 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Thank you for your advice.

You're very welcome. I'd suggest first that you get on Realtor.com or Zillow.com and put in your 'laundry list' of what you want and need in various zip codes and see what comes up. Local newspapers, in Greenville : www.greenvilleonline.com, in Spartanburg: www.goupstate.com Plenty of info about real estate and job seeking.

Best wishes.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:33 PM

17 posts, read 13,349 times
Quote:
This.

OP have you given any thought to the Greenville / Upstate SC area? Much more affordable - plus you'll be able to find a better job than you would in Asheville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I would second the recommendation to consider the Greenville, SC area. Much more affordable and much better job market. The greater Greenville area is very family friendly and otherwise meets all of your criteria other than not being in WNC. Greenville is just a little over an hour's drive to Asheville, less to Arden. That would give you in relatively easy access to your relatives in Arden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We've already mentioned where; look south of the NC border, towards Greenville SC. Difference in temps will be about 8 degrees, year 'round. Job market is good, and cost of living is lower.

I've lived in Greenville ever since I left Asheville and can't brag on it enough.. [/quote]

I am concerned about the violent crime problem that Greenville, SC seems to have? According to some statistics, it is worse than where I currently live...

Old 01-27-2016, 06:22 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
I am concerned about the violent crime problem that Greenville, SC seems to have? According to some statistics, it is worse than where I currently live...
I can't answer that, other than to say no town is 100% perfect.

Beyond that though, I have never been a victim of it, nor has anybody I know ever been one.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I've lived in Greenville ever since I left Asheville and can't brag on it enough..

I am concerned about the violent crime problem that Greenville, SC seems to have? According to some statistics, it is worse than where I currently live...[/quote]

According to this site's crime index information, Greenville had a lower overall crime rate in 2012 than Asheville (latest year available). And a much lower murder rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina