Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 AM

17 posts, read 13,349 times

Advertisements

We are an immigrant 30ish-40ish couple with 2 kids (Pre-K and Middle School), currently living in Florida.
For personal reasons that we choose to keep private, we are thinking of relocating to Western North Carolina.
We have family living in Arden, but we would like to explore other (more affordable) options and if possible, get a thing or two of what we desire.
We are quiet people and tend to keep to ourselves (not hermits either tho), so we don't care for abundant "night life" or restaurant options, but would appreciate having parks for the kids and picnic areas, decent schools and such.
Neither of us is wealthy or have college degree, so we are not looking for any specific jobs, just ones that allows us to pay our bills and keep food on the table. So having said this, I would proceed to ask away

1- Is moving close to Asheville the most logical thing to do? (For instance, is Asheville the largest source of work opportunities?)
2- Which would be the most affordable yet safe location to live? (Lowest rent, food and services overall)
3- Which are be the most walkable cities/towns? (I am talking sidewalks and being able to walk to a grocery store or any stores, parks, fast food, etc)
4- Which places have the most family friendly environment? The least adult places and the most normal/decent/well behaved people? (I am talking common sense here, like knowing you don't go grocery shopping, to the airport or a church while wearing only a bikini under a sarong, not having three boobs and taking your men-dogs for a walk in public while wearing your dominatrix suit, and generally dressing with modesty/decency at the expected places) -We live in freak paradise-

This is what comes to mind right now, I would really appreciate your honest opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Asheville and Buncombe County is definitely not someplace you want to move to if you need a decent paying job. Have you ever visited this area?

Before anyone can honestly reply to your questions, however, it would be helpful to know your budget for buying or renting in the type of area you are looking for. Your Arden relatives should have some helpful information for you as well.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Asheville and Buncombe County is definitely not someplace you want to move to if you need a decent paying job. Have you ever visited this area?

Before anyone can honestly reply to your questions, however, it would be helpful to know your budget for buying or renting in the type of area you are looking for. Your Arden relatives should have some helpful information for you as well.

Thank you for your answer.
Buncombe County is just one possibility and we are looking to rent.
We currently pay $800 for a 2/2 apartment and would prefer to stay in that range or even less if possible.
We have enough saved to survive without work for about a year.
My Arden relatives complain about the area not being the most affordable and this is why we want to do our research.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:12 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
The problem is that the Asheville area is a low wage, high real estate cost area. The job situation is especially bad outside of Asheville proper, especially for someone without a marketable skill. My advice would be to look elsewhere, quite frankly.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefinder View Post
Thank you for your answer.
Buncombe County is just one possibility and we are looking to rent.
We currently pay $800 for a 2/2 apartment and would prefer to stay in that range or even less if possible.
We have enough saved to survive without work for about a year.
My Arden relatives complain about the area not being the most affordable and this is why we want to do our research.

Any suggestions?

I would rule out the Asheville area in general. You may want to look in the foothills, across the border into SC. Not sure about rents down there, it would depend on location and proximity to the city of Greenville. Some nice small towns in the 'upstate' of SC which would give you easy access to the Asheville, Arden, Hendersonville area. (between 35 and 50 miles from Greenville). Your employment prospects there would definitely be better, several big companies have settled in the greater Greenville area. Expect to pay more for rent in the new apartment complexes. Look for a multi-family type arrangement, or rent a small house (plus utilities, etc.).

There are possibilities, your search may take longer and depend on employment. Most landlords don't want to rent to someone from out of state without steady income. Best wishes.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The problem is that the Asheville area is a low wage, high real estate cost area. The job situation is especially bad outside of Asheville proper, especially for someone without a marketable skill. My advice would be to look elsewhere, quite frankly.
This.

OP have you given any thought to the Greenville / Upstate SC area? Much more affordable - plus you'll be able to find a better job than you would in Asheville.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I would rule out the Asheville area in general. You may want to look in the foothills, across the border into SC. Not sure about rents down there, it would depend on location and proximity to the city of Greenville. Some nice small towns in the 'upstate' of SC which would give you easy access to the Asheville, Arden, Hendersonville area. (between 35 and 50 miles from Greenville). Your employment prospects there would definitely be better, several big companies have settled in the greater Greenville area. Expect to pay more for rent in the new apartment complexes. Look for a multi-family type arrangement, or rent a small house (plus utilities, etc.).

There are possibilities, your search may take longer and depend on employment. Most landlords don't want to rent to someone from out of state without steady income. Best wishes.

Thanks for your advice. We are keeping an open mind about other Counties in the area.
The truth is I really wouldn't care for access to Asheville if I would live elsewhere... but since we are planing to relocate in the Western North Carolina and it seems to be the most important source of work in this area, I inquired about it.

Last edited by peacefinder; 01-26-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefinder View Post
Thanks for your advice. We are keeping an open mind about other Counties in the area.
The truth is I really wouldn't care for access to Asheville if I would live elsewhere... but since we are planing to relocate in the Western North Carolina and it seems to be the most important source of work in this area, I inquired about it.
Well, to reiterate... Asheville is an extremely difficult place to make a living in. Jobs are few and far between, and the vast majority of them simply do not pay very much. And when you combine that with the high cost of living.... just saying.

Your decision though, so good luck.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:29 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
i would suggest chattanooga TN

Old 01-26-2016, 02:31 PM

I would have liked to receive more answers, since I asked several questions here...
(Besides that Buncombe County is too expensive)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina