Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 AM

57 posts, read 238,265 times

Advertisements

Where is there a good spot to take our son snow tubing near Blowing Rock?
Nothing fancy just somewhere other than the ski hills.. We live near Charlotte and are think of just driving up to the mountains for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbjf View Post
Where is there a good spot to take our son snow tubing near Blowing Rock?
Nothing fancy just somewhere other than the ski hills.. We live near Charlotte and are think of just driving up to the mountains for the day.
I may have misunderstood your questions. Are you saying you do not want ot pay to go to one of the ski resorts, i.e. Hawks Nest, Sugar, AppSki, etc?

Unless someone invites you onto their private property to snow tube, I think there are ordinances that prohibit just setting up and snow tubing wherever there is a hill, LOL.

I may have misunderstood your question.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM

57 posts, read 238,265 times
I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear.. I thought maybe there were some parks that kids used for tubing or sled riding..We are just planning on visiting the area for a short time and thought it would be fun to sled ride for awhile..

Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear.. I thought maybe there were some parks that kids used for tubing or sled riding..We are just planning on visiting the area for a short time and thought it would be fun to sled ride for awhile..
I heard of a new one up hwy 181 north of Morganton you should look into. You could be there in just under 2 hours from Charlotte:

Jonas Ridge Snow Tubing Park, Morganton - IgoUgo Reviews

Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
I don't know of any open spaces like that - but I have put a call in to my son who attends AppState to see if I can find anything b/f you all leave tomorrow!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,169 times
The weather has been so warm you will most likely have to go to a professional area where snow is made.
I had a good time at Sugar Mountain but was told the other day that Hawks Nest had the best snow tube lanes.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 10,355 times
Thumbs up Blowing Rock Day Trips

If you only have a day, I'd check out Grandfather Mountain. This is a great time of year for it. The weather is amazing and the crowds are down. Other fun things to do are to check out the hiking trails at Bass Lake. Just take 221 out of Blowing Rock for about 1 mile, it'll be on your right.

If you're up on a Saturday, I believe the Boone farmers market is open for the season, get some fresh local fruits and veggies to take home with you.

Canyons is a nice place to take the whole family. Lots of parking, amazing view, good drinks and quick food.

If you're having a date night there's usually something going on at the Hayes Performing arts center whether it's a classic movie night, musical act or a show. I recommend dinner it Bistro Roca. It's downtown Blowing Rock but look it up online because I'm terrible at directions and I haven't figured out how to add links on this site.
As a local, that's the absolute best bang for your buck. Great specials, you can spend as much or as little as you want, semi-casual atmosphere and a real mountain feel. You can complain to me later if you don't agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina