Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 10:27 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times

Advertisements

We live in Florida and are looking possibly in the area of Murphy NC for some land in which to pull a camper or put a simple cabin for summer use. With the summers seemingly getting hotter even in the mountain areas, I was wondering what differences there are in different geography such as elevation, being closer to valley areas around rivers, or suggestions on other geography that would yield cooler weather in the summer? I realize the humidity can be an issue, and am I right in thinking that higher elevations would also generally get more breezes? Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I was wondering what differences there are in different geography such as elevation, being closer to valley areas around rivers, or suggestions on other geography that would yield cooler weather in the summer?
Murphy is not especially cool, as the summer temps can be 86 degrees. See the C-D weather profile: http://www.city-data.com/city/Murphy...-Carolina.html

Higher altitudes should get you cooler summers. See a few of the threads below. Check the thread on Boone, and also the threads by Motordavid who lives at 3500 feet in the warmer months and winters in Florida.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...581-boone.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-question.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ain-towns.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-paradise.html

Old 04-01-2016, 07:36 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
Temp-wise it is All About Elevation...
3000+ equals reasonable summer temps, (by my comfort zone), 3500 - 4,000 is even better, and our Mtn Home is just under 5,000 ft elevation. That alt = summer shade temps never above 79 in 14+ yrs.

Step out into the sun at higher elevations and the UVs are penetrating, but air temps are reasonable, again by my comfort zone.

However, RH plays a huge factor in 'how it feels' and we have more than our share of high dewpoints and higher RHs even at our lofty altitude, esp in overnights and mornings.

Is it SW FL summer hot? Never, but it can feel muggy and warm even at our house altitude.

Murphy summer is quite warm to hot in my experience, as are many of the lower altitude western NC 'mountain towns', but everyone has their own comfort level.

Breezes? On our ridge at ~5,000, we like 'breezes' vs the serious azz winds we often get.
Do some reading for weather here and areas to consider...Murphy or other lower climes may work for you, or you may enjoy more altitude, in summer time.
GL, mD

Old 04-02-2016, 05:08 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,082 times
You can live in Hendersonville or Flat Rock at 3000 feet and never see 90F, plus be near a vibrant downtown, a ton of grocery stores, fast food, restaurants, and shopping and be 25 miles from Asheville and 35 miles from Greenville, SC.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
You can live in Hendersonville or Flat Rock at 3000 feet and never see 90F, plus be near a vibrant downtown, a ton of grocery stores, fast food, restaurants, and shopping and be 25 miles from Asheville and 35 miles from Greenville, SC.
are the winters in Hendersonville tough? lots of snow? cold? looking for a year round place....

Old 06-23-2016, 02:10 PM

27,187 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
are the winters in Hendersonville tough? lots of snow? cold? looking for a year round place....
Not at all really. Hendersonville is on a plateau between the foothills and mountains to the north and west, so it doesn't have the variances in elevation with inclines as much as the rest of WNC. It only averages around 4 inches of snow a year and ice isn't typically an issue from what I have experienced.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:

Check the weather almanacs. AccuWeather, NOAA and so forth for accurate stats. WLOS-TV here has a website with a local almanac on it also.

Yes, we do have snow here in Hendersonville; not much last winter though. One storm brought about 8". We definitely have had some serious winters (snow and ice) through the mountains in general. Depends on your elevation. North of Asheville in the high country, the weather is different year 'round.
Sometimes even the SC foothills (Greenville etc.) get ice. Nothing to be concerned about here in the Hendersonville area for the most part.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:45 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
As a young retiree, I would have no problem being cooped up for a week or so after a heavy snow.....no need to deal with getting good off to work......

Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
As a young retiree, I would have no problem being cooped up for a week or so after a heavy snow.....no need to deal with getting good off to work......

No concerns on dealing with snow for more than a day. Usually melting temps by noon here in Hendersonville. I agree about hunkering down inside; a nice sunny snow day is beautiful, or get out for a walk and meet your neighbors.

I believe it may have been 2006 or ? one of the worst storms ever the week before Christmas. Started with sleet, turned to ice, then a heavy snow. We were cooped up here in much of WNC, over 800,000 people w/o power, covering a huge area even down to SC. Many trees down everywhere, brought power lines down etc. Surrounding states, power trucks from VA, Georgia and FL as I recall, arrived here and worked for days getting the area back on power.

Maybe someone else on this thread will remember it.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:04 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,170 times
3 days into summer and I am dreaming about snow!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina