Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 AM
mom mom started this thread

9 posts, read 53,671 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are relocating to Asheville next month from Florida.
We have numerous Staghorn Ferns - should we give them away or
will they survive or maybe even thrive in the NC climate?
Does any member have any experience with these plants?
I would appreciate any info I can get.
THANKS SO MUCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 12:06 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,471 times
They won't survive outside. You'd need to bring them inside from mid-fall to early spring.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
http://www.sercc.com/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?nc0301

Last edited by mm34b; 03-20-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,130 times
Hello,

I am relocating to Asheville from Palm Beach Gardens and would LOVE to know if your staghorn made it! Mine along with other plants are awesome and I am probably selling them ):

Thank you,
D

Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,711 times
I live in N. Va and have had staghorn ferns for years. I move them outside in the late spring through late summer, early fall. Inside they are pretty resistant to dry air once they have built up a thick layer of shield fronds which store water. I just dunk them in the sink when they start to dry out and then mist occasionally. The ones I have now are in pots but a few years ago I had a bunch more mounted on wooden boards over a big wad of sphagnum moss and wired in place. These were hung on a brick wall in the family room where they received a lot of light through adjacent windows. When we lived in an apartment I had a mini greenhouse with plant lights over them. This was done with a simple aluminum frame with a sheet of fake wood paneling to hang them on. This can be set up in the basement or even a spare closet but mine looked nice enough that we kept it in the living room. If they need more moisture just hang some plastic sheets on the metal frame. If that all sounds like more work than its worth then yes sell or give them away in Florida.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,711 times
PS: As mentioned above staghorns are tropical plants and will not survive the winter if left outdoors in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina