Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,083 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was wondering if Boone residents could tell me about your town. I have visited briefly as my daughter will be starting at Appalachian in Fall 2017. I've read about the snow and the beauty as well as lack of jobs and bad traffic. I'd like to know more about the community feel of the town besides football. Is it fairly welcoming to outsiders? Are the majority of residents born and raised in Boone or transplants from out of state? Well organized city council? Does it have a thriving feel to it? I'm looking to purchase a condo in Beech Mountain or Sugar Mountain for year round living for a few years for myself, a single 52 year old woman. I won't be looking for work. I wonder which is an easier drive into Boone. I heard Beech, though farther and higher has a better road. True or False? What is Banner Elk like? I'm well familiar with snow since I'm from Montana (although I lived in California for some time as well). I'd like to be a bit out of town due to more affordable real estate, but close enough (30 minutes or less) so that I can easily meet my daughter for lunch/coffee and groceries. Any suggestions besides Beech or Sugar or Banner. Don't want any run down place. How about West Jefferson. Heard that was a nice little town. Thanks. I'm rambling, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:17 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBlueBaker View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if Boone residents could tell me about your town. I have visited briefly as my daughter will be starting at Appalachian in Fall 2017. I've read about the snow and the beauty as well as lack of jobs and bad traffic. I'd like to know more about the community feel of the town besides football. Is it fairly welcoming to outsiders? Are the majority of residents born and raised in Boone or transplants from out of state? Well organized city council? Does it have a thriving feel to it? I'm looking to purchase a condo in Beech Mountain or Sugar Mountain for year round living for a few years for myself, a single 52 year old woman. I won't be looking for work. I wonder which is an easier drive into Boone. I heard Beech, though farther and higher has a better road. True or False? What is Banner Elk like? I'm well familiar with snow since I'm from Montana (although I lived in California for some time as well). I'd like to be a bit out of town due to more affordable real estate, but close enough (30 minutes or less) so that I can easily meet my daughter for lunch/coffee and groceries. Any suggestions besides Beech or Sugar or Banner. Don't want any run down place. How about West Jefferson. Heard that was a nice little town. Thanks. I'm rambling, I know.
Is your daughter planning on living in Boone after graduation? If not, why choose a property based on its distance to her college residence?
There are lots and lots of summer residents/Floridians near Beech and Sugar. Boone does have a lot of traffic for a town of its size. If you are not into outdoor activities and bluegrass music , there is really not much there to interest you. You need to spend several days in the area to get a feel for the place.

goblueridge.net will give you some of the local news.

Last edited by ucctgg; 11-29-2016 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: ..

Old 11-29-2016, 09:23 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
With Beech Mtn., it's basically one way in and one way out. There is a "back side" but you wouldn't use it for going to Boone.

Sugar Mtn is an incorporated town but is pretty much run by the ski area. There is no "main street" or "town center."

Boone's town council is always Democrat-majority, while Watauga County's county commission is usually Republican-majority. There is a long history of distrust and discord between the county and the town. A lot of it revolves around the heavy influence of ASU in Boone, and tensions based on growth and planning issues. Plenty of transplants in Boone. Further out in the county, it's a little more homegrown.

West Jefferson is a great little town... if you can find the real estate that meets your criteria.

You might consider renting for 6 months or a year to determine if you really want to purchase a home, since it might not be for the longterm.

I sent you a private message that answers most of your other questions.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
how are you gonna occupy your time exactly i wouldnt want to be far flung alone in the winter it can get pretty lonesome i guess you said it was an inclusive community.

I'm an ASU grad and I would describe boone as like a young college town full of locals who pretty much live off the university and student population services. Unless you're just incredibly social its not a place i would want to plop into without some way to get exposure to the community like a job.

If I was 52 and had money to throw around Id be looking more toward asheville about and hour and half away. Just for QoL and large cities amenities

I mean if you lived in montana or the midwest the winter in the rural areas probably wouldnt bother you

Last edited by hey_guy; 12-05-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM

147 posts, read 162,882 times
The Northern Appalachian Mountains would not be my choice for permanent residence. Although it is closer to great medical care in Winston Salem, the weather is far colder in the Winter than the Southern Appalachian Mountains, Asheville area, and outside Boone there is not much else. IMO, it is not as pretty as the Southern Appalachian Mountains.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:51 AM

The OP has a daughter who will be attending graduate school at App State. She wants to be close enough to Boone to visit with her on a frequent basis. That is why she is specifying the High Country. Read her post.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Unless I am sadly mistaken, your college-aged daughter does not want mama living in the same town and hanging around like a helicopter parent.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Unless I am sadly mistaken, your college-aged daughter does not want mama living in the same town and hanging around like a helicopter parent.
How on earth can you make a judgment like that? You know nothing about this woman and her daughter.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:58 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
FYI, research has shown that helicopter parenting may prevent young people from learning how to solve their own problems and take responsibility for their own lives.

Helicopter Parenting - Why Hovering Over Your Kids in College Can Damage Their Job Prospects

Old 12-09-2016, 06:23 PM

I could give a flying flip about research. You don't know these people and have no justification to pass judgment. Do you seriously think that someone is going to take unasked for advice from a stranger on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina