Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 02:23 PM

234 posts, read 939,963 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me when I can reasonably expect to drive the BRP without running into snow?

I know that there are always freak late-season storms, but I am interested in when it would normally be safe to assume that no more snow will fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:45 PM

184 posts, read 676,512 times
I once saw a bit of snow in june when visiting mt.mitchell. So you never really know. In general, if there is snow or ice the entrances to the parkway are road blocked. I believe sometime in april & possibly as early as late march the road blocks come down.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 PM

108 posts, read 383,909 times
Default Snow on BRP

We were down there last year April 8- 14, and parts of the BRP were closed all of that time. Not so much a problem of snow, but of ice. Depending on the precipitation, that can be an issue far into the Spring. I think I read somewhere here that the icicles that form in some of the tunnels can be really dangerous and often cause closures.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Cold closes the parkway because huge icicles form in tunnels, large enough to crush a car. I've hiked up to the tunnels north of Asheville, and the size of these icicles was intimidating..... no, it was scary as they had to weigh tons.

When it snows the BRP does NOT clear the road, they just lock the gates, and wait for it to melt.

A section near Craggy Gardens north of Asheville will likely be closed all summer due to danger of the road collapsing.

Several years ago 5 feet of snow stranded guests at the Pisgah Inn on the parkway in early April.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 AM

606 posts, read 1,979,002 times
Generally speaking, after Easter is pretty safe . . . that said, Easter is early this year! They start taking the gates down around the end of April.

BTW, there will be a section near Boone closed for a long period, the Goshen Creek Bridge segment. Not exactly sure, but I think the detour will be from Bamboo Rd to Aho Rd, with a pretty straightforward shortcut. Total distance is about 2 miles or so. They are replacing the deck and resurfacing, and have 300 days to complete the job.

This will be more of an inconvenience to locals, since that is a popular shortcut from Deep Gap to Blowing Rock.

Tracey

Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your input.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Default Call before you go

There is a free hotline for Blue Ridge Parkway information, including closed sections, etc. Phone number is: 828-298-0398. Call it to be sure where you are planning on going is opern. It is quite helpful.

Hope you are able to enjoy this spectacular National Park. I think it is fantastic.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Many thanks for that phone number, jbird. I'm going to use it before I leave home!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
From time to time, I use the BRP as a beautiful, "long-cut" to get home from S. Asheville. If it isn't the dead of summer, I will call for updates before I go. The one time I thought I'd be smart and not call, the parkway was closed at Brevard Rd., and I had to abandon my plans of a scenic, spectacular ride home a little more abruptly than planned.

The number gives info on the VA side as well as the NC side. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Many thanks for that phone number, jbird. I'm going to use it before I leave home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina