Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM

395 posts, read 462,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10tdi View Post
Your GPS might work.
Yes it is easy to get lost there (IMO).
Perhaps that's why the residents are so unhappy? They keep getting lost.
LOL! This gave me the best laugh of the day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 03:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Does anyone really pay attention to the weekly Best/Worst list(s) of cities to live in, that pop up on the net like mushrooms after a rain?
Oh, you bet they do!!! Austin has been one of the fastest growing cities in the universe for the past few years, in part because of being in the "Top Ten......." places lists put out as you said...like mushrooms after a rain!!!
https://www.realtyaustin.com/relocat...n-rankings.php

I lived in parts of Atlanta that were the "fastest growing small city, county, area, place" for over 20 years and moved to Austin just before IT became the "darling" of the media know-it-alls.

I'm half-tempted to move to a place like Greensboro or Columbia where the 'growth' is a bit more organic and doesn't result in construction trucks on every highway every day of the week 24 hours a day
(Only half-tempted )

Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Oh, you bet they do!!! Austin has been one of the fastest growing cities in the universe for the past few years, in part because of being in the "Top Ten......." places lists put out as you said...like mushrooms after a rain!!!
https://www.realtyaustin.com/relocat...n-rankings.php
I'm not so sure those rankings drive the growth; the growth may drive the rankings.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not so sure those rankings drive the growth; the growth may drive the rankings.
You wouldn't believe the number of C-D posts that start out: "Well, I've never been to Austin; but I read it's a really nice, growing, tech-savvy, music-centric, festival-filled, inexpensive!!! place to live. It's on EVERYbody's Top Ten List"!!! "We will be moving there soon since it's obviously the next affordable San Diego!!! Tell me where the very best school districts are and how I can get a great affordable home with acreage(MUST be true because I read it on one of 'those' lists) !!! "

The only thing that has "slowed" the growth and popularity has been the lackluster and disappointing performance of the once all-mighty UT Longhorn football program(blessing and curse, I suppose). The relatively sky-high housing costs are just barely having some impact. It's not uncommon to hear something like: "Well, it MUST be great there to be on all the lists! With the lower interest rates, we will stretch out housing budget(and live far enough out even though the commute will be horrible) just so we can stake our claim in "Top Ten" Austin!!!!"

No doubt, the "journalists" follow the trends and keep finding ways to rank Austin in the Top Ten ANYthing lists; but the sheer number of folks expressing interest(and ultimately relocating) in Austin without anything other than media hype is astounding.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:42 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v10tdi View Post
I lived in Hickory for a Summer a long time ago (mid-80's - my younger brother got married to his wife there and I met...it's a long story). Anyway, one of the things I noticed immediately is that the street names in Hickory are...interesting. There is apparently some logic to the naming conventions (Google it if you're interested), but by the time I felt confident about finding my way around, I was headed back to school in Florida. If there is any place on the planet where having phone/GPS navigation is essential for a new comer, Hickory is it. My brother and his wife still live in the area (Conover) and whenever I go there, I always make sure my GPS is updated and working.
We lived outside of town, and GPS got people lost. They should have followed our directions instead.
I didn't mind the multiple names (e.g. "Street Place"), but driving would have been easier if the numbered roads had been in order instead of things like 6th, 6th, another 6th, 10th, 5th.

People tended to give directions using landmarks instead of road names. Fine - except when the roadmark is something like "where the Moose lodge used to be."

Old 09-29-2017, 06:27 AM

1,195 posts, read 986,556 times
Ever go to hickory's 'uptown'? That's why, it's depressed.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:51 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Lived there many yrs...totally agree with Travel Crazy.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Pls provide the source of this list. Did you look within an attached article or website to see the reasoning given?

My Mother (89 yrs old) has lived there for almost 25 years and has liked it. But, we are very different -- she's introverted and could likely amble along in many places, I am more extroverted and discerning about where I live. In my many visits over those decades, I would describe it as pleasant but bland. I've discerned no real personality to it but have dined at some lovely restaurants, seen some admirable live theater and the regional symphony is quite good.

It's markedly hot and humid in the summer so outdoor activities will likely be limited in the afternoons that season.

Culturally, it will be very different from Central NY. The Southeast is the Bible Belt, you know? The way that people relate in this region is not what you are used to; you'll be confused often (and maybe irritated). Not sure you'd pick up on all of that just from a visit. Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina