Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:46 AM

486 posts, read 465,486 times

Advertisements

Just read the top unhappriest cities and hickory is on the list say it's not true we are planning a visit from central ny!!!! In hopes to relocate why unhappy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,514 times
Pls provide the source of this list. Did you look within an attached article or website to see the reasoning given?

My Mother (89 yrs old) has lived there for almost 25 years and has liked it. But, we are very different -- she's introverted and could likely amble along in many places, I am more extroverted and discerning about where I live. In my many visits over those decades, I would describe it as pleasant but bland. I've discerned no real personality to it but have dined at some lovely restaurants, seen some admirable live theater and the regional symphony is quite good.

It's markedly hot and humid in the summer so outdoor activities will likely be limited in the afternoons that season.

Culturally, it will be very different from Central NY. The Southeast is the Bible Belt, you know? The way that people relate in this region is not what you are used to; you'll be confused often (and maybe irritated). Not sure you'd pick up on all of that just from a visit. Food for thought.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Just saw this in my Inbox. It must be what you referring to: http://time.com/4691862/best-cities-...wsletter-brief

Pls note that those lists are defined as: Highest and Lowest Well-Being....not happiness. I didn't study it closely but they seemed to mash together: happiness (how is that defined?), health and lifestyle to come up with the Well-Being thing.

To me, this part was noteworthy - Highly ranked inland communities like Boulder, Colo. and El Paso, Texas had residents who reported feeling a strong sense of purpose — often rooted in a shared culture and a feeling of belonging. When people are invested in improving their community, they feel motivated to get out of bed each day, says Healthways president Karissa Price. "It isn't just about physical health or income — there is a larger need to feel connected," she says.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:22 AM

To both posters thank you we are Christian people and will be looking at the churches in hickory so we won't be bothered by church attending people don't want to be forced into anything though ! We are also aware of hot summers believe me it's better than handling the cold that we have in the winter so I know there will be that summer difference Weare in our 50s so not looking for that party feel just a quaint town with enough shopping etc I know these surveys are different all the time it just shocked me to see hickory on there !

Old 03-09-2017, 10:22 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Does anyone really pay attention to the weekly Best/Worst list(s) of cities to live in, that pop up on the net like mushrooms after a rain?

If someone likes where they live, good...if someone is looking to move somewhere else, these lists are simply collections of someone's opins.

All nice places on that list, though after doing 8 winter seasons in Naples, it is a fine place for us well off retirees but not so much for someone starting out.

Fwiw, 'Asheville' makes many lists every year, but it too is a difficult area for non retired, low skill, no job people to move to, successfully.

As Spike Milligan wrote, "Everyone has to be somewhere"...

Old 03-09-2017, 11:53 AM

motordavid - Agreed, many lists are not worth much as a stand alone indicator.

But, they can be helpful as one piece of info out of MANY to consider or provide clues. We are all so unique - with different wants, needs, interests, outlooks, dispositions - which is why I pulled out that paragraph that referenced "feeling of belonging, fitting in, etc". I think that is huge but is one of the hardest aspects to discern about a place. Someone needs to figure out how to measure that!

Old 03-09-2017, 12:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I wouldn't describe Hickory as "quaint", but it might be what you're looking for.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Just attractive parts and a bit quiet would be my definition not rowdy����

Old 03-09-2017, 04:51 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
My husband is from Hickory. His daughter has lived there all her life, except for 4 years in Charlotte and 1 year in Boone while in college and graduate school. We were just there last Saturday for lunch and a bit of downtown browsing. Hickory has a lot going for it with a good art museum, history museum, events at Lenoir-Rhyne University, regional shopping, good assortment of special events at the convention center, good health care. Downtown Hickory had surprising foot traffic last Saturday for the time of year - sort of between seasons. Is it a Charlotte or Raleigh? Heck no. As a mid-tier small city, its economy is not great, but certainly not dying either. I would not dismiss it based on one survey.

As for hot summers, Hickory is close enough to the High Country - Boone/Blowing/Rock/Banner Elk, etc - for easy day trips.

Come visit and see for yourself.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Road pony we will be visiting at the end of the month looking forward to it to me, it sounds like a nice city to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina