Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM

67 posts, read 370,884 times

Advertisements

Hi, all -

I'm considering a move to Hendersonville, NC after visiting recently. However, I'm very confused by the crime ratings on City-Data.

The small Ohio town I live in is approx. the same size as Hendersonville and shares many of the same attributes (proximity to larger cities, recreation opportunities, clubs/organizations, good schools, libraries, parks, etc.). However, my town has something like a 150ish crime index, while Hendersonville's is 600+. Looking at the breakdown, H'ville has 10 times the number of robberies, assaults, etc. as we do.

What gives? Hendersonville seems (upon visiting) like a sweet, gracious town which would be a very pleasant place to live. I didn't feel unsafe there at all during my trip. The numbers, however, worry me . . . as do recent posts here in the forum.

For those who live in/near Hendersonville . . . what do you attribute the high crime statistics to?

Thanks so much for your input!

P.S. If you have something you'd like to share but not on the public forum, please feel free to send me a direct message. I understand that the subject of crime sometimes brings up sensitive topics and people don't often feel comfortable airing such details on a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile42 View Post
Hi, all -

I'm considering a move to Hendersonville, NC after visiting recently. However, I'm very confused by the crime ratings on City-Data.

The small Ohio town I live in is approx. the same size as Hendersonville and shares many of the same attributes (proximity to larger cities, recreation opportunities, clubs/organizations, good schools, libraries, parks, etc.). However, my town has something like a 150ish crime index, while Hendersonville's is 600+. Looking at the breakdown, H'ville has 10 times the number of robberies, assaults, etc. as we do.

What gives? Hendersonville seems (upon visiting) like a sweet, gracious town which would be a very pleasant place to live. I didn't feel unsafe there at all during my trip. The numbers, however, worry me . . . as do recent posts here in the forum.

For those who live in/near Hendersonville . . . what do you attribute the high crime statistics to?

Thanks so much for your input!
Beats me. I don't see it.

2007 Statewide Crime Index Rate per 100,000 Persons - 4,658.9

Henderson County Crime Index Rate per 100,000 Persons - 2,683.3

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...Summary%20.pdf

NC State Bureau of Investigation

Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 AM

67 posts, read 370,884 times
Thanks for those add'l numbers!

Here's what I was quoting:

CityData - Hendersonville, NC - 665.9 in 2006
CityData - My Town, OH - 158.9 in 2006

For reference, Dayton, Ohio (near me and known for its skyrocketing crime) is 771.9. Washington, D.C. is 669.5. It's just odd that a little town like Hendersonville would have crime statistics on par with these notoriously dangerous places. I'm wondering if those who live there actually feel unsafe or if it's a matter of some crazy math.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile42 View Post
Thanks for those add'l numbers!

Here's what I was quoting:

CityData - Hendersonville, NC - 665.9 in 2006
CityData - My Town, OH - 158.9 in 2006

For reference, Dayton, Ohio (near me and known for its skyrocketing crime) is 771.9. Washington, D.C. is 669.5. It's just odd that a little town like Hendersonville would have crime statistics on par with these notoriously dangerous places. I'm wondering if those who live there actually feel unsafe or if it's a matter of some crazy math.
I can't comment on those numbers since I don't know how, when or where they came from. I feel perfectly safe in HVL. That doesn't mean there's no crime risk. Like anywhere, you need to use your head at times.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,520,072 times
It seems worse now, and I've recently been in the same position as the OP. We had our eyes on what appeared to an excellent Colonial in downtown Henderson, offered at a price that wouldn't pay for a shack where we live now. And then we saw the crime statistics. By these numbers, Compton CA would be much safer. The city of L.A., though obviously with a lot of variation by districts and neighborhoods, is much safer.

How can this be? I don't get it. The house in question appears pristine and looks like everything has been redone and upgraded. Judging from GSV, the houses and front yards along its block appear to well maintained; the cars are of recent vintage and apparently in good condition. It's the very picture of idyllic middle class life, and what with most of the houses being old, it reminds me of some parts of Pasadena. Except those parts of Pasadena long since ceased to be middle class.

(BTW many victim advocates prefer to emphasize the likelihood of becoming a crime victim over a given period rather than the raw number of occurrences per 100K inhabitants. Is there any way to calculate a statistical likelihood of becoming a victim based on incidents/100K?)

Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
It seems worse now, and I've recently been in the same position as the OP. We had our eyes on what appeared to an excellent Colonial in downtown Henderson, offered at a price that wouldn't pay for a shack where we live now. And then we saw the crime statistics. By these numbers, Compton CA would be much safer. The city of L.A., though obviously with a lot of variation by districts and neighborhoods, is much safer.

How can this be? I don't get it. The house in question appears pristine and looks like everything has been redone and upgraded. Judging from GSV, the houses and front yards along its block appear to well maintained; the cars are of recent vintage and apparently in good condition. It's the very picture of idyllic middle class life, and what with most of the houses being old, it reminds me of some parts of Pasadena. Except those parts of Pasadena long since ceased to be middle class.

(BTW many victim advocates prefer to emphasize the likelihood of becoming a crime victim over a given period rather than the raw number of occurrences per 100K inhabitants. Is there any way to calculate a statistical likelihood of becoming a victim based on incidents/100K?)
If you are referring to Henderson, NC in Vance County, 40 miles north of Raleigh, you are asking in the wrong forum. You've posted in a nine year old thread about Hendersonville, which is near Asheville in western NC... quite a long way from Henderson (without the "ville").

If it really is Henderson that you are looking at, you need to post your question in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (Triangle) sub-forum

Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,217,971 times
I visited Hendersonville, NC last year and stopped in at the huge Ingles store there. We had a dog with us so we parked off to the side of the store. Noticed a couple of syringes on the ground as I walked around the side of the building - depressing to see and didn't expect it.

I'm guessing crime is everywhere and Hendersonville is no different. Just an FYI.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:40 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I visited Hendersonville, NC last year and stopped in at the huge Ingles store there. We had a dog with us so we parked off to the side of the store. Noticed a couple of syringes on the ground as I walked around the side of the building - depressing to see and didn't expect it.

I'm guessing crime is everywhere and Hendersonville is no different. Just an FYI.

Do you recall where that Ingles is/was ? There are several, and not all are in Hendersonville. If it was new and huge, it most likely was not in Hendersonville; but closer to Asheville, or maybe the one in Mills River near the interstate.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 AM

526 posts, read 460,313 times
I know little about Hendersonville PD other than they will LIE to you as quick as looking at ya.
But as far as the County the crime rate is MUCH higher then they let on. File a police report for a theft and try to get it over the next several weeks they will fight ya. I know this for a fact, no report no crime! But i understand this is common for most police dept.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
My goodness ! Hendersonville must be a real craphole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina