Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times

Advertisements

I give up. Not sure if I screwed up or not, so I'll just carry on. I really like City-Data, very helpful, but I stay above all the bickering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:43 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
If you decide to try of this at again find a small town to stay in then run days trips to soo whats around the area . Burnsville 35 minutes from Asheville and rooms are 70 bucks a night and a nice old clean inn . Maybe maggy valley too

Old 11-17-2017, 07:29 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
If you decide to try of this at again find a small town to stay in then run days trips to soo whats around the area . Burnsville 35 minutes from Asheville and rooms are 70 bucks a night and a nice old clean inn . Maybe maggy valley too
Thanks, that's good advice. Although we prefer to stay in a town like this so we can wander around on foot and have a drink without worrying about driving.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
If in Waynesville to see/do stuff/look around:

The Oak Park Inn...a 4 min walk to downtown, lots of restaurants, bars, galleries, Mast Gen Store, et al.

It isn't the JW Marriott or the Okura Hotel, but not bad and very close to 'downtown'...
GL, mD

Oak Park Inn

Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 AM

788 posts, read 783,508 times
Popular city's do tend to cost you more to stay in . Since I have no concern about alcohol that's not a concern for me . Gave up that foolishness 30 some years ago .

Old 11-23-2017, 03:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
Good advice above; I'm going to copy/paste a response I gave to someone else asking the same question:

I've got 1 full day planned out for you. This is probably one of my top 3 ways to spend a day in WNC:

Breakfast at either Sunny Point or Biscuit Head. Get there early as lines get large later in the morning. After breakfast, hit the Blue Ridge Parkway (check for closures at https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm) and head South. Enjoy the views for about 30 minutes until you hit the gravel parking for Frying Pan Tower (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fr...!4d-82.7685821)

This is a short 1 mile hike to the base of a 10 story fire tower on top of frying pan mountain. Easy to hike to and has incredible views at the top.

If the family is still feeling spry, head further south (~20 minutes) until you hit Black Balsam Knob Road (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...!4d-82.8757416).

Turn right and drive North until you hit the first parking area right on the road about 5 minutes up (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-82.8762393. Park here and hop right on the Art Loeb trail. Hike for about 15 minutes and the pine forest will open up into incredible unobstructed 360 views at 5000 feet. The further you go up, the more incredible it gets. Nice rock outcrop area at the top to sit and enjoy the views with a picnic.

If I HAD to pick between 1 or the other, I would pick Black Balsam Knob but I would try to do both. They aren't that tough of hikes to get to your payoff.

After that, head back to town to recover. At night, take the family down to Highlands Brewery in east Asheville. There is always live music, it's family friendly, has awesome food trucks out front, and amazing beer inside.

Hope this helps; enjoy! This day, to me, is Asheville in a nutshell and why I moved here from FL 2 years ago.

Oh, for more food recommendation:

Chiesa in Montford: House made Italian
Stoney Knob in Weaverville: Eclectic modern american
The Edison at Grove Park: Casual American with killer views. Go early and have a couple of drink on the Grove Park back patio.
Thanks for the recommendations! We are staying in Lake Junaluska for the week and were looking for suggestions for new things to do. I saw this thread, and we decided to try the hikes you suggested. We absolutely loved the Black Balsam hike. I wasn't a huge fan of the frying pan tower hike, but my oldest thought it was really fun. (Is the observation tower at the top always locked?).

Both were more challenging than we expected and we ended up being glad we didn't bring along my 70 year old parents. They are in good shape, but I don't think they could have gotten over the rocks at Black Balsam.
We'll definitely do Black Balsam again in the future. We made it to a couple of peaks, and would love to go back when we have time to go further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina