Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 06:33 AM

20 posts, read 295,616 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been trying to research the various areas of Asheville (looking for a modest house in a nice neighborhood with a high proportion of home ownership, where crime isn't a big problem), but haven't been able to come up with much. I hear about Montford, but it seems very expensive. West Asheville is what I've read a lot about, but is this one neighborhood, or are there specific neighborhoods within that are considered desirable, up and coming, or should be avoided? And what about the east, south, etc? Thanks for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,137 times
Unfortunately, Asheville itself is not known for its affordable homes. Montford is nice in areas but not so nice in others, and expensive. West Asheville is OK, with older homes but honestly, a neighborhood in transition. Small lots are the norm here. I live in South Asheville, which is a nice area, but expensive. You may be able to find something available relatively inexpensively in Arden, just south of the city. All this is compounded by the relatively low pay scale and poor job availability here. Low paying jobs are available, but if you're looking for something in the 50K - 90K pay range, unless you're in the medical field, it's very hard to find something like that. It's a great place to live and I would highly recommend it, but there are some big question marks that need to be taken into consideration.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 PM

Hi Roxor. I am aware of the economic/job factor and I appreciate your mentioning it. And I'm okay with "transition," as long as it's a transition from bad to good and not the other way around!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 24,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny XVI View Post
Hi Roxor. I am aware of the economic/job factor and I appreciate your mentioning it. And I'm okay with "transition," as long as it's a transition from bad to good and not the other way around!
Hi Sunny,
For an area that is transitioning, try the township of Woodfin, where some houses can be had for pretty cheap, still. Besides that, you can still find some deals and fixer-uppers all over town, but not likely in Montford or Kenilworth. West Asheville still has a few, and East Asheville has some too. Check out Realtor.com for comprehensive listings.
Fey Rey

Old 01-13-2007, 01:34 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Go east a little bit, and check out Beverly Hills and Haw Creek. Also some affordable stuff even further east in Swannanoa, which is between Asheville and Black Mountain. Personally I think West Asheville has too much crime. Mostly due to a couple of really bad public housing projects there.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 AM

Glad I revisited this thread, helpful responses. I will definitely check out those other areas, thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,655 times
Red face Black Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Go east a little bit, and check out Beverly Hills and Haw Creek. Also some affordable stuff even further east in Swannanoa, which is between Asheville and Black Mountain. Personally I think West Asheville has too much crime. Mostly due to a couple of really bad public housing projects there.
We lived in Black Mountain years ago and loved it! Small town but close enough to the city to get into Asheville. Nice short commute. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:54 PM

24 posts, read 645,909 times
Hi

Stay away from West Asheville..STAY AWAY...Dearview and Pisgah public housing has open air drug sales all day and night.

South Asheville and Arden are your best bets. Evena house in the 200's here is going to be a manufactured home .
The housing is not cheap here at all.
Biltmore Park is awesome, small homes in there sart at 400K.
Arden, you can go a little cheaper for a nice home. 250-400K

We welcome you! Hope you can find a great place.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 36,425 times
do you have kids or plan on it? that would alter my search big time.. if i didn't have kids i'd live outside of buncome county where the land and realestate is MUCH cheaper, but the schools drop off with the exception of transylvania county (45 minutes away).. try weaverville also. if you don't hvae kids try mars hill.. both are darling little towns and mars hills has a little college and great arts to boot..

Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 18,539 times
I don't know how to use a message board -- this is the first time I've tried! I'm considering relocating to Asheville from the northeast (early retirement due to company downsizing), and during a visit there last week found a lovely restored house in Montford for rent, in my price range. However a woman we met warned us that there is a lot of crime in Montford, and that it's dangerous to walk there at night. I was looking forward to being able to walk home from Pack Square after attending the theater. What is your opinion of the crime situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina