Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 04:29 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,560,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalito00 View Post
I live in San Antonio Texas now and I am looking to move back to the NE with my family. I first looked at Ithaca New York but the rental market there is too chaotic because of the college in town. Looking at Boone, it doesn't look too crazy. However, a lot of rentals have 8/6/18 as the availability date for some reason. Is this because of college rentals? It makes me think there might be a lot of people competing for rentals and driving prices up. I own now and my mortgage is only $1200 per month so I would love to get a rental in that range but it looks like most are higher. I guess my question is...is it difficult to find a decent rental in that price range without having to drive 30 minutes? My job would be in Boone off E. King. If I took a position there I would be moving about 5/1.

By NE, are you referring to "move back to the Northeast or New England", or was that a typo ? Have you checked the cost of living in Boone vs. where you are now? Will your new employer agree to you and your wife visiting the Boone NC area before you make a decision? It could be a culture shock from San Antonio; especially the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 30,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
By NE, are you referring to "move back to the Northeast or New England", or was that a typo ? Have you checked the cost of living in Boone vs. where you are now? Will your new employer agree to you and your wife visiting the Boone NC area before you make a decision? It could be a culture shock from San Antonio; especially the weather.
Back to the Northeast. I used to live in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've been all over that area. Not Boone though. I've only been in San Antonio for 7 years. I've been craving to see fall colors and the quiet of a thick heavy snow storm again.

Last edited by lalito00; 03-25-2018 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
Quote:
Back to the Northeast. I used to live in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've been all over that area. Not Boone though. I've only been in San Antonio for 7 years. I've been craving to see fall colors and the quiet of a thick heavy snow storm again.
North Carolina isn't in the "northeast".

Old 03-25-2018, 05:21 PM

When you live in San Antonio it is.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
When you live in San Antonio it is.
Regardless of where on planet earth one is located, NC is not in the "northeast".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe..._United_States

Expect much confusion if you continue to place the state in the northeast, as no one else will understand what you're talking about.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Regardless of where on planet earth one is located, NC is not in the "northeast".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe..._United_States

Expect much confusion if you continue to place the state in the northeast, as no one else will understand what you're talking about.
I don't know why the need to correct me. I am living in San Antonio...I am looking to move Northeast, maybe to Boone. I don't care if Boone meets the definition of Northeast. I specifically said I am looking at Boone so I'm not sure why there would be confusion. Anyway, if saying "Northeast" is offensive some way when referring to North Carolina, then I apologize.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know why the need to correct me. I am living in San Antonio...I am looking to move Northeast, maybe to Boone. I don't care if Boone meets the definition of Northeast. I specifically said I am looking at Boone so I'm not sure why there would be confusion. Anyway, if saying "Northeast" is offensive some way when referring to North Carolina, then I apologize.
You said moving to THE Northeast, actually. Its confusing. And yes, describing NC as being in the "northeast" is offensive, lol, for obvious reasons.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,354,136 times
Quote:
I live in San Antonio Texas now and I am looking to move back to the NE with my family. I first looked at Ithaca New York but the rental market there is too chaotic because of the college in town. Looking at Boone, it doesn't look too crazy. However, a lot of rentals have 8/6/18 as the availability date for some reason. Is this because of college rentals? It makes me think there might be a lot of people competing for rentals and driving prices up. I own now and my mortgage is only $1200 per month so I would love to get a rental in that range but it looks like most are higher. I guess my question is...is it difficult to find a decent rental in that price range without having to drive 30 minutes? My job would be in Boone off E. King. If I took a position there I would be moving about 5/1.
Boone might work for you, but App State in Boone is almost the same size as Cornell (18000 students to 20000 students, respectively) so you are going to find a lot of the same issues with student housing in both places.

It can be expensive to live in Boone and there are plenty of college students to pay higher prices for rentals and accept lower wages for jobs.

Is there anyway you can come visit before you decide whether to take the job or not? Boone does have pretty cold winters — not quite Ithaca cold, but it snows quite a bit. The average annual snowfall accumulation in Boone is 37 inches compared to 64 inches for Ithaca.

(And "The Northeast" is Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. North Carolina is squarely in the Southeast. You may be moving North and East, but not to THE Northeast.)

Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 AM

730 posts, read 776,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Boone might work for you, but App State in Boone is almost the same size as Cornell (18000 students to 20000 students, respectively) so you are going to find a lot of the same issues with student housing in both places.

It can be expensive to live in Boone and there are plenty of college students to pay higher prices for rentals and accept lower wages for jobs.

Is there anyway you can come visit before you decide whether to take the job or not? Boone does have pretty cold winters — not quite Ithaca cold, but it snows quite a bit. The average annual snowfall accumulation in Boone is 37 inches compared to 64 inches for Ithaca.

(And "The Northeast" is Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. North Carolina is squarely in the Southeast. You may be moving North and East, but not to THE Northeast.)
Unless at elevation or during an extended cold snap it melts off pretty quickly.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:56 PM

33 posts, read 41,066 times
No reason you'd have to live IN Boone. There are plenty of communities 30 minutes or less outside of Boone where rentals and prices are lower. Cell phone service can be spotty with the big carriers here in the mountains. We've found that Carolina West has the best coverage over the High Country area. Internet service varies wildly across the area. Areas in Ashe county that are not near a city have fiber service now, while we (live near West Jefferson) are limited to DSL via CenturyLink. It's just something that you need to look at carefully when looking for living quarters. I've spent some time in San Antonio - no doubt about it, NC mountains are northeast from there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina