Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 30,168 times

Advertisements

I live in San Antonio Texas now and I am looking to move back to the NE with my family. I first looked at Ithaca New York but the rental market there is too chaotic because of the college in town. Looking at Boone, it doesn't look too crazy. However, a lot of rentals have 8/6/18 as the availability date for some reason. Is this because of college rentals? It makes me think there might be a lot of people competing for rentals and driving prices up. I own now and my mortgage is only $1200 per month so I would love to get a rental in that range but it looks like most are higher. I guess my question is...is it difficult to find a decent rental in that price range without having to drive 30 minutes? My job would be in Boone off E. King. If I took a position there I would be moving about 5/1.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,976,234 times
depends what you are looking for i rented an apartment for 500

I dunno i wouldnt want to live amongst college kids

Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
There are a number of property management firms that handle houses, condos, and apts... google them. Some of them focus on vacation rentals, but all of them should have some long-term rentals besides student housing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=prop...hrome&ie=UTF-8

This may be the old fashioned way, but you probably need to get on the phone and make a lot of calls right away.

I agree that you want to stay away from most apts because of the college students. Yes, the rental market is largely driven by student rentals, but you should be able to find a house or a condo for your budget or close to it.

Here's one: https://www.wataugademocrat.com/clas...d715cf12a.html

Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Thanks. I guess I should mention that it will be me, my wife and 3 kids.

Do college rentals go thru until August? is that why I keep seeing 8/6/18 as the availability date?

Old 03-24-2018, 01:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalito00 View Post
Thanks. I guess I should mention that it will be me, my wife and 3 kids.

Do college rentals go thru until August? is that why I keep seeing 8/6/18 as the availability date?
I would stay away from those with an availability date around that time. Those are definitely geared to college students. Look at Foscoe or Deep Gap. They are about fifteen minutes from Boone.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 AM

69 posts, read 99,181 times
roadpony is correct: "This may be the old fashioned way, but you probably need to get on the phone and make a lot of calls right away." Phone calls are best -- don't rely on answering craigslist ads or using a web form of sorts. Mountain culture is mostly face-to-face (or telephone). Rental homes that are managed by a realtor or management company may be different.
Having worked at App, all (or at least most) Boone rentals will be college students -- and most rentals will be year round. Students normally move out in July. After first semester, most students live in Boone full-time (taking courses, graduate studies, jobs (mostly service oriented jobs), love the area...). If you don't mind a short commute, ucctgg is correct ... look Foscoe, Deep Gap .. .I'll add West Jeff (Ashe County), Fleetwood (Ashe County), Blowing Rock (pricey) and Banner Elk (Avery County and pricey). Try to stay in Watauga County schools. I think Fleetwood might be Watauga County schools even though it is in Ashe County. Keep in mind the higher the elevation, the greater risk for snow and associated poor road conditions. Schools close frequently during snow/ice conditions. University runs in parallel with the Appalcart (bus) schedule for the most part. Best of luck ....

Old 03-24-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdyGourmet View Post
roadpony is correct: "This may be the old fashioned way, but you probably need to get on the phone and make a lot of calls right away." Phone calls are best -- don't rely on answering craigslist ads or using a web form of sorts. Mountain culture is mostly face-to-face (or telephone). Rental homes that are managed by a realtor or management company may be different.
Having worked at App, all (or at least most) Boone rentals will be college students -- and most rentals will be year round. Students normally move out in July. After first semester, most students live in Boone full-time (taking courses, graduate studies, jobs (mostly service oriented jobs), love the area...). If you don't mind a short commute, ucctgg is correct ... look Foscoe, Deep Gap .. .I'll add West Jeff (Ashe County), Fleetwood (Ashe County), Blowing Rock (pricey) and Banner Elk (Avery County and pricey). Try to stay in Watauga County schools. I think Fleetwood might be Watauga County schools even though it is in Ashe County. Keep in mind the higher the elevation, the greater risk for snow and associated poor road conditions. Schools close frequently during snow/ice conditions. University runs in parallel with the Appalcart (bus) schedule for the most part. Best of luck ....
Great post. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am going to go for the position there with my company. I have an email out to a local company asking them to call me about rentals.

Can anyone tell me what internet service is like? I have fiber now (300 Mbps). How is cell service if you are outside of town? Sperling's web site says groceries are expensive there. Are there any new transplants that can attest to this? I have 3 young kids that eat a lot. I have to buy lactose free milk, about 5-6 gallons per week. That's $6 per gallon here and that's considered cheap. Anything else you can add would always be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,976,234 times
I think you would get fleeced for speciality items. Groceries may be slightly more expensive but many of the jobs are lower end and people are getting by.

Internet is spectrum

Verizon has acceptable service most all places

I would just about forget about living in Boone it's saturated with college kids. If you have a good realtor you can probably target some neighborhoods without a large college student population. I like banner elk

Old 03-25-2018, 11:49 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalito00 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am going to go for the position there with my company. I have an email out to a local company asking them to call me about rentals.

Can anyone tell me what internet service is like? I have fiber now (300 Mbps). How is cell service if you are outside of town? Sperling's web site says groceries are expensive there. Are there any new transplants that can attest to this? I have 3 young kids that eat a lot. I have to buy lactose free milk, about 5-6 gallons per week. That's $6 per gallon here and that's considered cheap. Anything else you can add would always be appreciated.
There are plenty of neighborhoods in Boone that are not "saturated" with students. You can get that information from your rental agent.

Spectrum (was Charter) has high speed internet throughout Boone and in much of Watauga County and some of Avery. If you are near a major artery, chances are good that you'll have access to high speed cable internet even if you are not "in" Boone.

Verizon has very few dead spots (can't be totally avoided in the mountains). Very good service.

Several major grocery chains found in NC are in Boone - Publix, Harris-Teater, Lowes Foods, Food Lion, Earth Fare (focus on organic foods). I'm not familiar with Sperling's but I wouldn't think that prices are any higher on a per store basis than other areas of NC. I buy a lot of my staples at Walmart. Food Lion prices are lower than the other chains but slightly higher than Walmart. The closest discount grocer - Aldi - has stores in Wilkesboro and Lenoir. Each is only 30-40 minutes depending where you end up living. I have friends who drive once in awhile to Winston-Salem (<100 miles) to shop at Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina