Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:22 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times

Advertisements

We live in the foothills West of Charlotte. It has basically been full-on summer, with oppressive heat and humidity, since the first week of May. Five months and still going. Nasty hot and humid again today. Where in the world is Fall?

This is why I am looking for relocation up North somewhere. Seems like we used to have four somewhat distinct seasons here, but not in recent years. If I wanted to live in year round humid heat and nightly storms (which bring more heat and humidity), I would live in Florida.

Ok, vent over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
We usually go to Disney this time of year due to cooler weather. That was no the case this year. Heat index broke 100s most days. I think this has been a very warm end to summer. Guess it’s making up for starting off mild.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
I know someone who relocated from NC to Wisconsin. They're expected a frost tonight.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We live in the foothills West of Charlotte. It has basically been full-on summer, with oppressive heat and humidity, since the first week of May. Five months and still going. Nasty hot and humid again today. Where in the world is Fall?

This is why I am looking for relocation up North somewhere. Seems like we used to have four somewhat distinct seasons here, but not in recent years. If I wanted to live in year round humid heat and nightly storms (which bring more heat and humidity), I would live in Florida.

Ok, vent over.
How long have you lived in the area? This summer has had pretty normal temperatures.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Nope. I love it. It's seems pretty normal to me, too, and I'm an NC native. The South is not a good place to live if you don't like it hot.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:09 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Actually, we live west of Asheville and have had a pretty mild summer overall, in my opinion. We are planning on moving back east, to the north of the Triangle within the next year. I miss my normal summers and winters. Up here we are grey and brown for at least 5 months of the year, last year it was 6 months. Yuck! There are many things to love about living up here, but after 3 years, I am ready to move back to the center of the state where I had lived for 34 years. I just don't want to be in the Triangle anymore, it's too crowded, I want to be in a rural, small town area.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:45 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
How long have you lived in the area? This summer has had pretty normal temperatures.
Over 20 years. Maybe it's my tolerance of it that's decreased. I just don't remember having to run the air conditioning on into October before.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:03 AM

789 posts, read 785,941 times
RogueMom Instead of moving north , move west like to Yancey County NC . Rarely do we even see a 90* high temp . Our 3 month summer tends to have 60 something degree mornings and mid to upper 80* for a high depending on elevation . Were in a valley on the west side of the county so Weaverville or Asheville are an easy drive as needed . Buy in a valley and winter weather in general might be milder than where your at now even during the winter .

Last few mornings have been in the mid to low 60's and yesterdays high was 74* , fall is a come'n .

Its all about picking the right spot of buy or build on .

After spending 42 years in SW FL we moved to Yancey County 21 years ago . The weather just got to be to much after all the years building homes there . Leave for work in the summer months at 5:30 am and its 85* and fogs so thick you can't see 150 feet some times and day time summer temps can go over 100* on the job sites far to often and after noion humidity was to high you might need to change cloths . I do not miss that .

sauscy Go to Dollywood instead ! Nothing about the general Orlando area is worth while any more .

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-30-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 11:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Nope. I love it. It's seems pretty normal to me, too, and I'm an NC native. The South is not a good place to live if you don't like it hot.
I lived in Canton, NC as a kid and I can tell you that WNC wasn’t always this hot or humid.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:31 PM

33 posts, read 51,505 times
We live near Asheville. This is our fifth year in the area.

In the previous four years, we ran our A/C maybe 5 days during the whole year.

This year, we've used it almost every single day since April. Some of those days were due to heat and humidity, but sometimes it was just the humidty.

When it's 68% humidity and 78 degrees, it's very uncomfortable. I also get tired of every upholstered piece of furniture feeling damp.

It was only 73 degrees yesterday, but the inside humidity was above 70%, so I turned on the air for a few hours to dry things out.

Last year, we had over 99" of rain in my area, but it didn't feel as humid as it does this year because we'd get a few days of hard rain and then it would dry out. This year, I don't think it's dried out once.

I also don't think we've had as much wind this year. There have been a lot of days where it's just dead still outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina