Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 05:35 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It's all relative. Compared to south Louisiana, it's not that humid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Same compared to central FL
You know it! Still in the low to mid 90s here in the first week of October with 80% humidity and 75 degree dew points. Misery since late March...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 05:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
I'm so glad I moved to the mts. from Charleston...humidity saps the life out of you...

just another week or so, cooler weather

Old 10-03-2018, 05:45 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
I'm from Central NC but we've had many of the same issues as the mountains.

What I hope doesn't happen is Summer leading right into Winter. One complaint about NC weather is that it doesn't always have very long Springs and Falls.

It's more like hard summer, then mixed summer/winter weather with a few really pleasant days sprinkled in that aren't raining, then hard winter (admittedly not Minnesota hard but not mild like the Deeper south), and then mixed winter/summer with a few really pleasant days sprinkled in that aren't raining, then back to hard summer.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm from Central NC but we've had many of the same issues as the mountains.

What I hope doesn't happen is Summer leading right into Winter. One complaint about NC weather is that it doesn't always have very long Springs and Falls.

It's more like hard summer, then mixed summer/winter weather with a few really pleasant days sprinkled in that aren't raining, then hard winter (admittedly not Minnesota hard but not mild like the Deeper south), and then mixed winter/summer with a few really pleasant days sprinkled in that aren't raining, then back to hard summer.
Can't rep you again so soon, but I do agree with much of what you posted.

I moved here from Ohio as a teen. My first birthday, which is in December, it was 70 degrees. OMG, it was incredible after having a Michigan and then Ohio upbringing. Love those warm December days mixed in, they make the winter so much more bearable. The winter months are much shorter down in the Triangle and I really do miss them. I am trying not to just bolt back, LOL.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'm so glad I moved to the mts. from Charleston...humidity saps the life out of you...

just another week or so, cooler weather
That's why I hate the heat so much. It's so energy sapping. Maybe that's not true for everyone, but it truly is for me. And I consider myself a fairly high energy person.

I know you are glad you moved from Charleston. We visited there one Memorial Day weekend and never went back. Crowded, hot, and absolutely horrid, soupy humidity there that whole weekend.

Oh well. Supposed to get back up into the 90's here today. Maybe it will cool off by November.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:28 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenska_Flicka View Post

I also don't think we've had as much wind this year. There have been a lot of days where it's just dead still outside.
I agree. Just dead stillness, no one outside, the droning on of everyone's air conditioning units the only sound.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:55 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I agree. Just dead stillness, no one outside, the droning on of everyone's air conditioning units the only sound.
Consider moving to a higher elevation spot in the mountains. I live at 4400 feet. Nobody up here uses their A/C, it's really not warm enough even on the hottest days down below to need it. This was our third summer up here and we've never turned on the A/C, I pull the blinds on the sunny side of the house in the mornings and use a window fan if it gets really "warm", which so far has only been 81 degrees in the house. When it does get warm like that, sitting on the porch in the shade is cool enough. Instead of the drone of everyone's A/C, you just hear the birds singing.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:39 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times
Throughout the warm seasons, the A/C is set at 77 Day time and 76 while sleeping, why be uncomfortable, YMMV, due to pollen windows are always kept closed.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:42 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,058,580 times
Windows open 24/7 here. (5100 ft.)

indoor temps of 63 or 64 during the early morning hours.

The sun comes up and it jumps to 68 or 69 inside. (haven't seen 70 in a month)

I suspect the furnace will begin it's winter run after this week.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It's all relative. Compared to south Louisiana, it's not that humid.
True!!! Same for Houston Texas (where I moved from) dew point was 80 yesterday It's way warmer than I would like, I LOVE cold weather, but we still have the mountains, I'll take it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina