Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 10:18 AM

858 posts, read 682,087 times

Advertisements

I am in the final steps in relocating south east Texas to the Buncombe County area.
I think my job will take me to the Arden/Fletcher area, and I need to get serious about finding a new home.
  • I would like to keep my commute to 30 minutes or less, but no more than 45 minutes.
  • It would be great if I could find a 2/2 home (less than 1500 sqft) for under $250K and since we are planning for this to be our final retirement home (we are both in our 60's and our children are all grown) the lower the cost the better.
  • I know from my searching that an area bounded by Woodside Hills up to Woodfin over to Swannanoa and down to Hendersonville should be my search area.
  • We would like to be close to the amenities of Asheville, but I worry about areas that are safe.
  • Its not necessary that the home be on acreage, as I have cut all the grass I ever care to!
On the dream list would be some place with mountain views and walkable neighborhoods.

I also know to steer clear of the Canton area and undeveloped mountain areas with water wells and septic tanks.

I have found some nice candidates in Arden, Fletch, Hendersonville and Asheville, but not being from the area, its hard to tell about the best neighborhoods to look at.

So any suggestions - or am I dreaming?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:35 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I am in the final steps in relocating south east Texas to the Buncombe County area.
I think my job will take me to the Arden/Fletcher area, and I need to get serious about finding a new home.
  • I would like to keep my commute to 30 minutes or less, but no more than 45 minutes.
  • It would be great if I could find a 2/2 home (less than 1500 sqft) for under $250K and since we are planning for this to be our final retirement home (we are both in our 60's and our children are all grown) the lower the cost the better.
  • I know from my searching that an area bounded by Woodside Hills up to Woodfin over to Swannanoa and down to Hendersonville should be my search area.
  • We would like to be close to the amenities of Asheville, but I worry about areas that are safe.
  • Its not necessary that the home be on acreage, as I have cut all the grass I ever care to!
On the dream list would be some place with mountain views and walkable neighborhoods.

I also know to steer clear of the Canton area and undeveloped mountain areas with water wells and septic tanks.

I have found some nice candidates in Arden, Fletch, Hendersonville and Asheville, but not being from the area, its hard to tell about the best neighborhoods to look at.

My suggestion would be to zero in on Henderson County; specifically some of the subdivisions on the border of Henderson over in Fletcher off Butler Bridge Road and the surrounding areas. Closer to the airport, but people I know who live in there don't complain. You will have proximity to just about everything you need and there are some nice well cared for subdivisions. Get a good Realtor soon. Homes don't stay on the market here very long unless they have "issues".

Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:

Your budget is going to be tight but that's not saying it can't be done. Walkable neighborhoods are probably going to be out of the question unless it's in an HOA. Walkable to restaurants and stores is not going to happen. The house most likely will need work with your budget. Would you consider building a home? I am just throwing another idea out there. I don't know much about Henderson County but I am speaking of Buncombe County. I do know Henderson County costs slightly less. You need to be ready to buy as homes in this price range don't stay on the market long. What specific amenities are you speaking about?

Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Typical city stuff, like restaurants, shops, movies, grocery stores etc...nothing much but I have lived where everything was a 30 minute drive and that gets old real fast.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Typical city stuff, like restaurants, shops, movies, grocery stores etc...nothing much but I have lived where everything was a 30 minute drive and that gets old real fast.
You bet it does. I totally agree. Well you can definitely get those amenities in Hendersonville and Buncombe County. Are you OK with a fixer upper or want move in ready? Can you rent for a little while to see what areas that you like? I think that always works best and gives you time to make the right decision. The areas that you mentioned are all good choices. These are all things to keep in mind.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Check the property tax issue relative to city v. county when you are searching. Makes a big difference if you live within city limits; you will pay both city and county taxes. If you live in the county, you pay only county taxes. Most of the time we are talking double the $. There isn't anything in the city limits that you can't easily get to from county locations. Best wishes.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:53 PM

644 posts, read 670,879 times
Rent. You may be able to get a 6 month lease and that might be enough time. It's never a good idea to buy under pressure and especially when you are not familiar with the area. Get here, explore, make some contacts and let anyone you meet know what you are looking for. The more people you meet the more chances you have to find someone who knows someone or has a friend thinking about selling. Don't limit yourself to the MLS, join every local Facebook group you can and get the word out there, too. There are places out there but you have better opportunities if you get creative. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:35 AM

789 posts, read 785,941 times
Check out Zillow for homes avalible or realtor .com then google map for a better general view that will show schools grocery ect . and even road side views many times . Good luck with your job search and relocation . When you think you may have a good location picked out contact LE about drug issues and crime in general .

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
If you want to only commute 30minutes I’d stay around the south side of town/Hendersonville. I26 will be under construction for the next 5+ yrs and if you have to go anywhere north of I40 daily you will hate your life. On the plus side that’s definitely the cheaper area these days. Fletcher and mills river are probably the cheapest at the moment.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Is this the road work?

If so, it appears that staying clear of the north-west corner of Buncombe county would be a good idea.

Will this ultimately improve property values in Candler?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina