Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM

17 posts, read 47,387 times

Advertisements

Do you have to worry about bears wandering around when you live in the mountain region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCorcione View Post
Do you have to worry about bears wandering around when you live in the mountain region?
There were a few threads around here in the last year discussing this issue. Here is one:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...ack-bears.html

Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
And another...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...-mountain.html

Old 07-09-2008, 04:46 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,773 times
We had a bear attack here in Watauga County (Boone) about 6 weeks ago. It wasn't in a "neighborhood," but out in the rural county. This lady was out with her dog on her property, fairly close to the house when she surprised a bear. They actually surprised each other! She screamed and alerted her husband. He came running just in time to see the bear raised to full height and swat her. He knocked her down a 20 ft. embankment and took off with their Jack Russell hot on his heels! She's OK, didn't break anything but has a nasty scratch on her arm.

That's a fairly rare occurance, but with berries ripening just now the bears are coming down closer to people. Not to mention the fact that outsiders tend to build homes high up on the ridges in the bear's habitat. Local's have more sense than to build up there. Then again, most of the ridge homes are seasonal summer homes.

Personally, I'm more afraid of Yellow Jackets than I am of bears! I tangled with a bunch yesterday afternoon and will be in bed recovering most of today. They got me pretty good . . . I ran in the house and had to strip to get them off me. I killed 6 in the house! I'm not "allergic," but this was the worst, most painful, attack I've ever had. Take abcessed tooth times 2! I got hit in the thumb twice and it swelled under the nail. Two hours of ice, four ibuprophin, and two tramadol later I finally got it under control. I'll take a wandering bear any day!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM

76 posts, read 326,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
...Personally, I'm more afraid of Yellow Jackets than I am of bears! ...
Me too.
I've come across a bear before in the woods and it left me alone. I think they don't really want to get in to it with you. One thing I will say is that if you move to the countryside you must accept the things that live around you. Be it wolves, bears or whatever. You've come to their neighborhood. If your dog runs wild then expect it to be eaten. When I lived in Oregon we were always on the lookout for bear and cougar. The coyotes were known to draw out your pets by taunting them and then strike. It's part of nature and it blows if your pet or relative gets killed but we can't expect to live without danger. You are way more likely to get killed in a car crash. And yet we still drive.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Bears live here, and when their food supply is low, they become a nuisance, raiding trash and bird feeders. A little caution with dogs is prudent, especially when you let the dog out at night. Last year a late freeze killed most of their food and they were a big problem. This year, they have abundant food and I haven't seen one yet.

Being aware of your surroundings, especially when walking in areas they frequent is wise, and if you see a bear most will simply move away from you. The only concern I have is to end up between a momma bear and her cubs, but that's why you keep your eyes open.

Was out cutting trees with a friend on his tree farm in rural area this past week. #1 concern yellow jackets and wasps nests, #2 rattle snakes and copperheads, #3 wild boars. Fortunately saw none of them.

After decades of spending lots of time in the woods, I have had some bad experiences with bees and poisonous snakes (fortunately the rattler struck my boot, but ruining some underwear) and have been had some really bad experiences with ground nesting yellow jackets. Been run up a tree by a wild boar.

Encountered bears a number of times, both in the woods, and at the house, and we just watched each other and the bear wandered off without incident, or I backed away if I was out in the woods. If you come up on a bear, don't turn and run, but back away slowly.

Remember you don't have to be able out run a bear in the woods, you only have to be able to run faster than the person you are with

Remember, the bears were here first, and they will not be "removed" to keep them out of your garbage, or bird feeders, as many people demand, but it is up to the home owner to not provide access to garbage, bird feeders, or outside pet food.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:53 PM

53 posts, read 307,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaz View Post
Me too.
I've come across a bear before in the woods and it left me alone. I think they don't really want to get in to it with you. One thing I will say is that if you move to the countryside you must accept the things that live around you. Be it wolves, bears or whatever. You've come to their neighborhood. If your dog runs wild then expect it to be eaten. When I lived in Oregon we were always on the lookout for bear and cougar. The coyotes were known to draw out your pets by taunting them and then strike. It's part of nature and it blows if your pet or relative gets killed but we can't expect to live without danger. You are way more likely to get killed in a car crash. And yet we still drive.
Thirding, or fourthing, whatever!!!

Some common sense is necessary. Common sense such as don't feed your pets outside, store their food outside, or let them wander at will when you are hiking, camping, or summering at your second hillside cabin. Also (and I wish the woman who lives downhill from my folks would take this seriously) the bears are not your friends. Do not feed them, on purpose or accidentally, for crying out loud! Yes, even if they look hungry, or cute, or have sweetie weetie widdle cubbie wubbies with them. *insert stereotypical Oregonian rant about Southern Californians here, oh wait, wrong forum, make that cityfolk in general, lol*

I have way more trepidation about snakes than bears (that is to say, not much). Bears are big, and stinky, and they like to be left alone, preferring easy meals. If I were still in OR, I would say I have trepidation for cougars too, but that's not an issue here afaik. Boars now, that's something to put the shaking fear o'nature into a person! We don't have boars on the west coast, but I've been bitten by a domesticated pig once and that was more than enough, thanks. Packs of wild pigs? Chasing me? Thanks for the nightmares. *shudder*

Old 07-10-2008, 12:31 AM

13 posts, read 89,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCorcione View Post
For the most part, no. It really depends on where you live. Here in the outskirts of Hendersonville we have had no problem. There will be the occasional spotting of one and the news will cover it but overall I would say there are maybe only 4 issues a year (99% not fatal).

The worst thing we've seen is a mountain lion in Pisgah Forest and running through the woods once.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
Default Bears & Mountain Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack358 View Post
For the most part, no. It really depends on where you live. Here in the outskirts of Hendersonville we have had no problem. There will be the occasional spotting of one and the news will cover it but overall I would say there are maybe only 4 issues a year (99% not fatal).

The worst thing we've seen is a mountain lion in Pisgah Forest and running through the woods once.
Hi Jack, There have been a few sightings of mountain lions around Blowing Rock and I heard someone took pictures of one in Banner Elk. Supposedly, they do not exist here according to the so called experts but the natives have said they have seen them over the years. Do you know whether the park service is admitting they are here now. I would love to see one from a distance. Does anybody know the status of mountain lions up here in the mountains?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 AM

76 posts, read 326,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
...Does anybody know the status of mountain lions up here in the mountains?
Last I ever heard anything was the same. 'they don't live here anymore' and 'they used to be everywhere'. I've never been told an official stance. It would surprise me if they did still live in these parts. With our population density one would think somebody would have seen evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina